DBSTalk Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I watched a bit of both games, mainly the last couple innings of the Astros/Angels game. In both cases, the HD video quality was excellent (nearly as good as some live 4K sports I've seen) although I did notice occasional glitches, like a weird shake in the picture. Didn't notice the sound being out of sync at all but did hear persistent audio artifacts like a popping sound now and then. And unfortunately, no way to pause or rewind the live stream (unlike Peacock's recent live streams of the Winter Olympics). Even if Apple doesn't want to mess with that feature on their servers, there's no reason why they could use local storage on their Apple TV 4K to create a live buffer (as the Channels app for OTA TV does).

So good first effort at live sports by Apple TV+ but, yeah, they have some technical kinks to work out and improvements to make.
I noticed the sound issue in the Mets/Nats game. Once where the announcer was saying there was a line drive down the right field line that was foul. On the video as they were saying that the pitcher was just throwing the ball. The other time was a line drive down the left field that was fair. Two runs are going to score. As that was said the pitch was just being thrown. I didn't watch much of the Astros/Angels game but what I did see I didn't notice the sound issue. I noticed both games had a female announcer. I thought both did a good job calling the action. At one point in the Astros/Angels game they had 4 people talking at once. Two men and two women. They need to limit it to just 2 announcers. More than two is just too ESPN'y.

On the HD quality I noticed close ups on the people it was good enough that you could see their individual facial hair. It was excellant other than like you mention the weird shake during action scenes where the camera was moving trying to follow the ball or running players. That is where I could see the judder. I also had a couple of times where the picture froze and the only way I could get it going was to force quit the Apple TV+ app and re-start it.

Also you could have a picture in picture of the game along with a game from MLB.TV and switch back and forth between those two games but there were some sound glitches in that where occasionally you could hear the announcers of both games at the same time which is definitely a glitch.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I noticed both games had a female announcer. I thought both did a good job calling the action. At one point in the Astros/Angels game they had 4 people talking at once. Two men and two women. They need to limit it to just 2 announcers. More than two is just too ESPN'y.
I don't watch a ton of sports but the announcing didn't feel quite up to par with what I expect from the major broadcast networks. As you say, having two people in the booth (along with an occasional cut-in from someone on the field) might be better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I watched the MLB Phillies - Oakland opener game on my Roku TV yesterday. Picture and sound were excellent. And the Phillies won. I noticed in today's paper that most games were still over three hours long. That's discouraging. There's about a three-minute gap between half-innings for commercials so that's 51 minutes in a full nine-inning game that could be reduced to 34 minutes if they cut the gap to two minutes. Not likely to happen.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
MLB broadcast info from last nights game.

1080p native, 60fps, ~8 mbps (AVC H.264) video bitrate, ~256 kbps (AC3 Dolby Digital) audio bitrate.

·
Premium Member
36,659 Posts

1080p native, 60fps, ~8 mbps (AVC H.264) video bitrate, ~256 kbps (AC3 Dolby Digital) audio bitrate.
Using the ATVs on the D* streaming app isn't the best option. The PQ is great but not being able to use trickplay as we can with our DVR remotes is something I couldn't deal with. I had no problems watching a movie, but I had issues with ball games when I was on a five-day free trial. I haven't tried an ATV since the MLB season began; perhaps those issues disappeared? I couldn't] use trickplay to go forward or back; either way, click or FF.

A five-day free trial isn't long enough to decide.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I wish we could do PIP for the Apple TV+ games and I wish the MLB app would offer multi game view as well.
As I said you can do PIP for the Apple TV+ game with games on MLB TV and you can also do PIP in the MLB app with games. At least in the MLB app on an ATV.

For example I had both games going on Mets/Nats (Apple TV+) and Reds/Braves (MLB.TV) on the ATV last night. One full screen. The other in PIP.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,738 Posts
As I said you can do PIP for the Apple TV+ game with games on MLB TV and you can also do PIP in the MLB app with games. At least in the MLB app on an ATV.

For example I had both games going on Mets/Nats (Apple TV+) and Reds/Braves (MLB.TV) on the ATV last night. One full screen. The other in PIP.
Yes I know. I was talking of a grid view, 4 games at once, like the ESPN app offers.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts

Those are the stats for the games on Apple TV+? Wow, I'm surprised that they were able to get live on-the-fly encoded 1080p60 video in H.264 that looked so good at only about 8 Mbps. I also wonder why they weren't doing a second encode in HEVC H.265, which could have produced equal or better PQ at an even lower bitrate. Lots of devices running the Apple TV app support hardware decoding for HEVC.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts