DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The verdict is in, surprisingly, just waiting for it to be read. Word is the jury has never asked for any clarifications or re-reading of testimony. They had to go through 700 individual decisions.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think this is the end of the road. But I think Samsung also just lost in South Korea. Correction, they infringed on each others patents.

Of course Motorola is now suing Apple.
 

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
Joined
·
3,148 Posts
Epic fail of the jury. At the very least it should have been a mutually assured destruction scenario; I find it unbelievable that the double tap to zoom and pinch to zoom patents were upheld.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"RasputinAXP" said:
Epic fail of the jury. At the very least it should have been a mutually assured destruction scenario; I find it unbelievable that the double tap to zoom and pinch to zoom patents were upheld.
The patent system, particularly when it comes to software patents, is very broken.
 

·
DaBears
Joined
·
6,085 Posts
dsw2112 said:
Seems to me the jury already had their mind made up. What a shame...
The jury had to fill out questionaires not really give a verdict. However it's been reported many times that Samsungs legal team was not very good at speaking to the jury and trying to convince them about the facts. I think that Samsung was prepping more for the appellate courts than it was for the jury.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
677 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
klang said:
Big win for Apple, not that they really need another billion bucks. ;)

So is there an appeal process for something like this or is it finally over with?
did you expect anything else but Apple to win? After all people venerate that company and offer tithes to the grand altar of Apple. Not even sure why they had the court decision, apple was going to win by default of their greatness
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But, did the jury have the ability to say that the Apple patents were invalid? Apple does have the patent for pinch and zoom as an example. Whether they should have been able to get that patent is a valid argument, but they do.

Software patents are the issue, not Apple. There is a company that has been suing coffee shops and other businesses for offering wifi, because they claim wifi infringes on their patents. We've had companies sue for infringement of patents they hold, but the patent holder doesn't actually have any products of their own. Their business model basically is to sue or scare companies to license their patents. Some of them aren't even things they invented, just patents they bought.
 

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,541 Posts
wingrider01 said:
did you expect anything else but Apple to win? After all people venerate that company and offer tithes to the grand altar of Apple. Not even sure why they had the court decision, apple was going to win by default of their greatness
Veneration has nothing to do with the verdict.

Do you have some reason to loathe Apple? Have any products of theirs?
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
419 Posts
Geez, I'm surprised at all the anger. Apple had some great ideas, which they want to charge a premium for. Samsung needs to either come up with their own ideas or pay the price. That's why the patent office exists. I don't hear anyone complaining when Pfizer charges $50 a bottle for some new anti-depressant that can't be turned into a generic for years. Like it or not, that's how our country works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,456 Posts
Devo1237 said:
Geez, I'm surprised at all the anger. Apple had some great ideas, which they want to charge a premium for.
Here's are some contrasting perspectives on that topic:

http://techrealist.wordpress.com/
http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-news/27364-editorial-now-samsung-found-liable-what-potential-ramifications.html
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2012/08/25/160028467/apples-patent-win-could-alter-landscape-of-smartphone-industry
Samsung needs to either come up with their own ideas or pay the price. That's why the patent office exists. I don't hear anyone complaining when Pfizer charges $50 a bottle for some new anti-depressant that can't be turned into a generic for years. Like it or not, that's how our country works.
I guess so.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
Laxguy said:
Veneration has nothing to do with the verdict.

Do you have some reason to loathe Apple? Have any products of theirs?
I have mostly all of their products, and IMO, this "win" is a huge loss for consumers. Without Samsung and Google, you don't have notifications on your iPhone right now and don't have built in nav coming with ios6.
 

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,541 Posts
raott said:
I have mostly all of their products, and IMO, this "win" is a huge loss for consumers. Without Samsung and Google, you don't have notifications on your iPhone right now and don't have built in nav coming with ios6.
I agree that products will cost more due to this verdict. I was inquiring about the vehement bitterness expressed by a few, not you that I've seen.

Not clear on notifications- do you mean the popups?, and while iPhones have employed Google maps in their app, is that really a part of the litigation? Wasn't that done by agreement? And isn't Apple putting in their own mapping systems and database?
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
285 Posts
My guess is much of the loathing for apple stems from direct statements made by Jobs that he fully intended to kill off Android. Since it would be very difficult for Apple to sue Google for damages they have decided to go after the manufacturers that are delivering Android based devices.

This is definitely bad news for the consumer. It will not be the last lawsuit coming from Apple as you can bet preparations are already being made to sue others in the same way. If this is allowed to continue the only competitive options will be triangular shaped phones with mechanical push buttons.

Apple did not invent the rectangle with rounded corners, touch screen interface or even soft icons on a screen. They did not invent the portable mp3 player, cell phone or tablet computer. Saying that the ipod, iphone and ipad are completely new and unique devices not based on any previous technology or idea is completely bogus. If they are allowed to continue the methodical destruction of competition in the marketplace through patent litigation our system is not just broken it is a joke.
 

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
Joined
·
15,541 Posts
jdskycaster said:
Saying that the ipod, iphone and ipad are completely new and unique devices not based on any previous technology or idea is completely bogus. If they are allowed to continue the methodical destruction of competition in the marketplace through patent litigation our system is not just broken it is a joke.
Has Apple or its lawyers made that contention?

Are they methodically destroying competition? No doubt putting a dent in it, but enforcing patents has long been a part of capitalist America, as well as the United Kingdom, perhaps other countries.
 
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top