DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not, but I ask because I'm trying to sign up with dish network. I'm moving from directv primarily due to HD (dish has 20+ channels) and the 622 pvr. The installers who came out today from dish itself said I didn't have line of sight for SD (but HD was fine).

However, the installer who came out last week to adjust my directv dish said I would have no problem getting dish. He works for an independant company that installs both directv and dish. I called him back today to double check and he had no doubt. I asked the company owner what the deal is and he said the dish installers get paid no matter what and probably didn't want to try. He also guaranties that they won't do the install if they can't get better than 75% signal.

Wonder who's blowing smoke.....

Kevin

·
AllStar
64 Posts
I asked the company owner what the deal is and he said the dish installers get paid no matter what and probably didn't want to try.
Absolutely not true. Installers only get paid if they can complete the install. This means if its marginal, some installers will go ahead and install it knowing that they'll be long gone when the trees either fill in the spring or simply grow taller.

A good installer will disclose potential problems with a marginal signal. Basically, with a clear line of sight, there's no reason why signal should be 75% unless the dish was poorly peaked. If the elevation is grazing a tree or barely clearing trees, I'm going to recommend a tripod or simply will not complete the install. If dish sends someone out for a second opinion and completes the install, its the installers problem when Dish charges them back down the road for the install if a customer cancels due to signal.

So yes, not all installers are the same. Some will go home knowing they didn't make any money that day. Others will go home paid but may have to face the consequences later. I've personally had to redo an install, and even pull a dish down for no line of sight. I've switched careers and only install dishes 2 days a month. I wasn't making any money doing dishes and struggled to pay bills. Maybe I'm too honest? I had the fewest return call rate out of any installer for the Sub I worked for.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nismo said:
Absolutely not true. Installers only get paid if they can complete the install. This means if its marginal, some installers will go ahead and install it knowing that they'll be long gone when the trees either fill in the spring or simply grow taller.

A good installer will disclose potential problems with a marginal signal. Basically, with a clear line of sight, there's no reason why signal should be 75% unless the dish was poorly peaked. If the elevation is grazing a tree or barely clearing trees, I'm going to recommend a tripod or simply will not complete the install. If dish sends someone out for a second opinion and completes the install, its the installers problem when Dish charges them back down the road for the install if a customer cancels due to signal.

So yes, not all installers are the same. Some will go home knowing they didn't make any money that day. Others will go home paid but may have to face the consequences later. I've personally had to redo an install, and even pull a dish down for no line of sight. I've switched careers and only install dishes 2 days a month. I wasn't making any money doing dishes and struggled to pay bills. Maybe I'm too honest? I had the fewest return call rate out of any installer for the Sub I worked for.
Thanks for the insight. Follow up question.... one of the installers today said the satellite signal comes in "wide", meaning trees off to the side of the dish can interfere. Is this true? I always imagined the beam from the sat was very narrow.

Thanks

·
AllStar
64 Posts
kevreh said:
Thanks for the insight. Follow up question.... one of the installers today said the satellite signal comes in "wide", meaning trees off to the side of the dish can interfere. Is this true? I always imagined the beam from the sat was very narrow.

Thanks
What the installer most likely discovered was the SD signal from 119/110 (which is of course 9 degrees apart) is partially blocked by a tree. However, the 61.5 HD satellite, which is much higher elevation wise had a clear line of sight. At an extra cost, you can hit all 3 satellites with individual dishes.

·
Godfather
367 Posts
The installer question keeps coming up.. And some installers actually work by the hour so they do get paid if they don't install.. In my area both RSP's pay hourly and weekly (Very weakly). So it's possible that he just didn't want to do your install.. I will always go back to what I have said many times.. Go with a local independent retailer..

As far as your "wide beam" question. What the installer was telling you was that the dish has to see off to the right to get the signal.. The Dish 500 lines up pretty much looking at the 110 satellite in my area.. But the 119 satellite would be off to the right of the way the dish is pointing.. This offset would be on any dish that sees multiple satellites. It can only point one direction.. Therefore it has to look off to the sides to see the other satellite.. The more Sat's the dish has to see, the "wider" the hole has to be for the dish to see them all..

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skyviewmark1 said:
I will always go back to what I have said many times.. Go with a local independent retailer..
Thats who's coming back on Friday, the local independant. Guess I'll find out then if his confidence pans out (hope it does!). I'm just so stoked to get a 622 VIP and the HD channels.... guess I need to put my enthusiasm in check in case Friday doesn't work out.

Kevin

·
Godfather
367 Posts
kevreh said:
Thats who's coming back on Friday, the local independant. Guess I'll find out then if his confidence pans out (hope it does!). I'm just so stoked to get a 622 VIP and the HD channels.... guess I need to put my enthusiasm in check in case Friday doesn't work out.

Kevin
Don't take my post to mean that there are not any good installers that work for Dish. There are. And many of them are some of the best in the business. In my years though I have found on average that the local independent will provide more services like doing some extra things for you that a Dish Installer won't do.. And sometime will take more time trying to find a place to put your dish. His livelyhood depends on getting you put in and working. and making you happy. The dish installer just moves on to the next job that was assigned to him.

Good luck with your install

·
AllStar
71 Posts
kevreh said:
Probably not, but I ask because I'm trying to sign up with dish network. I'm moving from directv primarily due to HD (dish has 20+ channels) and the 622 pvr. The installers who came out today from dish itself said I didn't have line of sight for SD (but HD was fine).

However, the installer who came out last week to adjust my directv dish said I would have no problem getting dish. He works for an independant company that installs both directv and dish. I called him back today to double check and he had no doubt. I asked the company owner what the deal is and he said the dish installers get paid no matter what and probably didn't want to try. He also guaranties that they won't do the install if they can't get better than 75% signal.

Wonder who's blowing smoke.....

Kevin
i've been in the field for 6yrs out of the 30 or so installers in my office there is one three that i would let install mine system:mad:

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
daddy111178-

Are you a E* employee/installer?

Update-

The independant installer came yesterday. At this point I have the 622 (great product, kick's DirecTivo's a**) and incredible HD. Don't know why I waited so long.

The installer ended up doing 2 dishes, one in the back yard and one on the roof. I think this is why the Dish installers said it wasn't possible- because they didn't feel like puting 2 dishes in two locations. Based on this experience, I'd strongly recomend 3rd party installers if the Dish installer say they can't do it. Also, it sounds like their motivated financially in ways Dish employees aren't. This guy worked hard to make it work (with having to install the two dishes)... I really appreciate his effort.

Just glad I've got the Dish 622 with HD now....

Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.