DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
The UTV uses a Microsoft-based system (Windows CE) with a 40GB hard drive - upgradeable to 120GB.

I can tell you from much personal experience, that UTV works very well. I have two RCA UTV units and have never had a problem with either one.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
I've got two Sony UTV's, and I haven't had any trouble. They are very stable units. I too switched from E* to D* to get a 2-tuner pvr for almost nothing...

·
Icon
880 Posts
Just to chime in...I'm running 3 UTVs after running screaming from the DishPlayer. In the six months they've been up, I've yet to see a single bug or lose a recording.

If you can still find them (try Best Buy or CC) they are indeed a screaming deal.

·
Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
I had heard it was a propriety OS, not related to CE. But Microsoft eludes to it being "Windows Embedded". What that means could be anything. I think while it might be related to CE, it won't run any CE programs or use CE development tools.

·
AllStar
81 Posts
As a DirecTiVo owner, I will attest to the stability of my unit.

New DircTiVo units will be available shortly. The DirecTiVo fee is $4.99 (starting November) where the UTV fee is $9.99 (not throwing stones, but just providing info).

·
AllStar/Supporter
47 Posts
1 UTV and 3 Dtivo's all run perfect!

I added a 2nd hard drive to my Dtivo and only 2 times have I had problems in 8 months. One time it kept rebooting, pulled the power and it rebooted again, did this for a day. That was 4 months ago and has never done it again. Other problem I had happen one time is I had my Surround sound receiver on over night (Tivo sits on top) it got up to 75c in the Tivo and it froze up. Unplugged it and it was fine after that.

No missed recording on any of them... you just can't go wrong. I would only switch back to Dish if they got a Tivo or a UTV...other than that I'm gone for good.

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
You will learn that everyone KNOWS what will happen to the superstations and when. It is just that they all know something different.

·
Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
Look no one wants the supers except the supers and charlie. I'm sure that the locals would fight to remove the supers except maybe WGN from the combined company. How the hell are they going to fit 210 markets if they have to carry all those stupid supers?

·
Icon
609 Posts
Bug-free and perfect? Not mine, but close enough, but then again so was my Dishplayer.
But for a dual-tuner PVR it's hard to be the price.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.