DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I am not clear about, as I stll debate if I am going to keep this unstable, yet promising, HR20, is, do I have any other choice? Is there anybody else making an HD DVR that is compat with DirecTV? I have checked Tivos site and see nothing. Not sure where else to look.

Is it the HR20 or nothing? Thanks.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
There is no one else "making" a DirecTV compatible HD-DVR

You can still purchase the HR10-250 TiVo unit, through 3rd parties.
However, the HR10-250 is not MPEG-4 compatible.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
There is no one else "making" a DirecTV compatible HD-DVR

You can still purchase the HR10-250 TiVo unit, through 3rd parties.
However, the HR10-250 is not MPEG-4 compatible.
Thanks for that info. If I understand, MPEG4 is what at least in time, locals will be doing? I an in SanFrancisco=Sacramento area and I think Radio Engineered told me our local channels are not yet doing mpeg4. But it sounds like something essentila for the future? I appreciate the info. I do like this box a lot, and just hopeful things esp the pause, unable to resume bug, will be fixed in time. Thats about my only issue really, and its intermittent, sometimes a week of functioning fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
HolmesCo said:
Thanks for that info. If I understand, MPEG4 is what at least in time, locals will be doing?
MPEG4 is used for all current and future HD local channels and will also be used for any new HD channels added to the D* lineup. Current MPEG2 HD channels will eventually be transitioned to MPEG4 as well.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PoitNarf said:
MPEG4 is used for all current and future HD local channels and will also be used for any new HD channels added to the D* lineup. Current MPEG2 HD channels will eventually be transitioned to MPEG4 as well.
Sounds essential all right! :) Thanks. That clears up the issue for me.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
akron05 said:
Is MPEG4 INHERENTLY inferior to OTA or is it all in the compression?
Right now, since the MPEG-4 signal is FROM the OTA signal... then by definition, the MPEG-4 will be inferior to the OTA.

However, the questions are:

1) Is it big enough of a difference for you to notice
2) Is it big enough of a difference for you to care
3) Is it big enough of a difference to use more space on your hard drive, to record the OTA version instead of the MPEG-4

In the long run, as the MPEG-4 hardware and software improves... and if DirecTV get's access to the source data stream from the affiliate (prior to it being comrpessed into MPEG-2).

Those 3 points above will change accordingly.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
462 Posts
HolmesCo said:
SanFrancisco=Sacramento area and I think Radio Engineered told me our local channels are not yet doing mpeg4.
Bot San Francisco and Sacramento ARE available via MPEG-4. If you're in San Francisco, you'll get KTVU, KRON, KPIX, KGO, and KNTV. In Sacramento, you'll get KCRA, KXTV, KOVR, and KTXL.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top