DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the AT 9 dish since this summer, with no reception problems. I previously had the phase III dish for several years with no major reception problems when it snowed here in Colorado.

We had our first snow of the season in the city today, and although somewhat wet, nothing major. It did stick some to the dish, but I wiped it off. I am still getting reception problems on several channels.

I never had this issue before with the phase III dish with this amount of snow on the dish. It would take several inches of snow before I would lose reception. Again, this snow is nothing major, and even after wiping off the dish, several channels are not coming in.

I wonder since the AT 9 dish is "deeper", it can hold more snow than the phase III dish, or more likely to have reception problems when snow accumulates.

Has anyone else experienced this with the new dish, and can you put something on the dish to keep the snow from sticking? ie, car wax, etc? Now I am really worried about when winter hits if I will always have this problem with the new dish. Somewhat frustrating.

Same issue on all TVs - I also have a zinwell 6x8 multiswitch and 6 tvs hooked up, one H20, one HR20 - same issue on all of them.

Thanks

·
Banned
614 Posts
RCKYMTN said:
I have had the AT 9 dish since this summer, with no reception problems. I previously had the phase III dish for several years with no major reception problems when it snowed here in Colorado.

We had our first snow of the season in the city today, and although somewhat wet, nothing major. It did stick some to the dish, but I wiped it off. I am still getting reception problems on several channels.

I never had this issue before with the phase III dish with this amount of snow on the dish. It would take several inches of snow before I would lose reception. Again, this snow is nothing major, and even after wiping off the dish, several channels are not coming in.

I wonder since the AT 9 dish is "deeper", it can hold more snow than the phase III dish, or more likely to have reception problems when snow accumulates.

Has anyone else experienced this with the new dish, and can you put something on the dish to keep the snow from sticking? ie, car wax, etc? Now I am really worried about when winter hits if I will always have this problem with the new dish. Somewhat frustrating.

Same issue on all TVs - I also have a zinwell 6x8 multiswitch and 6 tvs hooked up, one H20, one HR20 - same issue on all of them.

Thanks
Well so far for me, I have had lightning heavy rain downpoars without any loss of signal, even for the new HD locals on 99. I'm assuming the snow will result in the same performance for me. My dish is aligned well, and getting 95-100 on all satellites and most tp's. I think the goal should be in order to reduce the chance of rain fade, or snow fade, is to make sure you have good alignment and readings on the satellites and tp's for your market and programming. It shouldn't matter whether you have a phase III dish or the new AT-9 or Slimline, if it's installed properly to DirecTV standards it should work even with snow or rain regardless of the model of dish used.
:grin:

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dish is properly aligned, and get strong signals even when raining. It is just this first snow storm. The comparison I mentioned with the phase III was that it seems like the design of the actual AT 9 dish is deeper, allowing for more snow to accumulate on the dish itself. Just a thought, but the snow accumulation just seem to affect the AT 9 much quicker than it did the phase III?

·
Banned
614 Posts
RCKYMTN said:
The dish is properly aligned, and get strong signals even when raining. It is just this first snow storm. The comparison I mentioned with the phase III was that it seems like the design of the actual AT 9 dish is deeper, allowing for more snow to accumulate on the dish itself. Just a thought, but the snow accumulation just seem to affect the AT 9 much quicker than it did the phase III?
The slimline dish is 5lnb also but is very similiar in size and reflector as the phase III. Perhaps DirecTV as a friendly gesture will replace your AT-9 with a slimline, since your in snowy conditions.:)

·
Legend
209 Posts
I wasn't home while it was actually snowing today, but now that I'm home there are no problems. It's not snowing anymore, but I haven't brushed off the AT-9 and no problems on any channel.

·
Godfather
307 Posts
I had some issues with the Phase III dish last year, and am wondering how my AT9 will perform. However, it seems that the Phase III dish was angled more, hence being a snow catcher. Also, in my case, the Phase III was faced more toward the southwest (facing toward most storms). My AT9 faces more south. Either way, I rigged an old, wooden curtain rod with a broom in case I need to reach high up the roof to clean it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.