DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Legend
218 Posts
You might see promotional bundles like with Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, but HBOMax and Discovery+ remain separate just like the Disney streaming services are separate.

But not that anything else is really synergistic with Discovery and HBO. Disney makes far more sense, as the ABC Network is a binder for its streaming services and networks together.

The synergies might just be cost-cutting and even further degradation of channels. For example, cuts at CNN like how Warner converted CourtTV to truTV. Discovery will likely make it reality tv focused like its channels and like truTV. Some might say, no loss anyways. Or, maybe Discovery pawns off CNN/HLN to CBS/Paramount, so that CNN and CBS essentially merge their news operations. Anderson Cooper and a maybe few others already serve between CNN and 60 Minutes or CBS.

On a much more micro level, I wonder if fubo will drop the Discovery channels or add back in the Warner channels, after it dropped them. I hope that it drops the Discovery channels, and adds AXS TV/HD Net Movies, and lowers its price. But that is unlikely and likely it will cave in to the duplication and bloated model, while increasing prices, like all the companies do. I suppose Philo will stay status quo.

·
Legend
218 Posts
I don't see any reason why NBCU and ViacomCBS wouldn't be allowed to merge on the condition that they divest either NBC or CBS, including their news division and O&O local stations. That sort of remedy is typical in mergers like this.
Arguably, the main value of ViacomCBS is CBS over Viacom. Prior to ViacomCBS re-merging, YouTubeTV and Hulu Live had CBS but could skip out on the Viacom channels. The Viacom channels were less essential and only now propped up by the CBS side.

I don't think Comcast would have interest in merging to just acquire Viacom junk like MTV and TV Land, and then have to divest CBS and all the owned stations. I don't read the Warner deal with Discovery much like an NBC and CBS tie up, which would face higher opposition and logistically difficult. I also don't see a scenario where Comcast dumps NBCUniversal or NBC Universal are split in the near future.

·
Legend
218 Posts
Was it a merger when Disney purchased most of Fox, but the government forced Disney to divest the Fox Sports RSNs as a condition of the merger since Disney already had so much of the cable sports market with their ESPN channels? Of course it was.

Complicated deals happen all the time. I'm not saying that NBCU and ViacomCBS *will* merge but if they do, the resulting company likely won't be allowed by the government to own both broadcast networks. But it would still be a significant deal if one company ended up with two major film and TV studios (Universal and Paramount), two middling streaming services (Peacock and Paramount+), plus Showtime, all the Viacom cable channels (Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, etc.), all the NBCU cable channels (USA, Bravo, SyFy, etc.) plus either NBC or CBS, along with their news division and O&O local stations in major markets.

Whichever network got spun off, whether NBC or CBS, might end up as a small standalone company, as Fox has done after selling their studios and most of their cable channels. Or it might be acquired by Warner/Discovery. It's also possible, though IMO unlikely, that Amazon or Apple might acquire the spun-off network.
If Comcast wanted Viacom for just increasing its content and boost its streaming service (which I don't even think is it's primary MO), it would have made more sense to buy out Viacom prior to CBS and Viacom merging again. Either of the two (Comcast or ViacomCBS) could buy out smaller untied media companies, with less regulatory issues, if wanted.

When I read articles that HBO and Discovery are rivals or combined, they make a better rival company to Netflix, I pause. The two didn't compete in any ways and combining reality TV content with HBO perhaps in one streaming service doesn't make a better streaming service. I wonder how it is more profitable if HBO subscription was $15, and Discovery $7, combining the two and charging less per subscriber, makes it a better option (or is more profitable for Discovery HBO) over Peacock or another streaming provider, that has totally different content.

Just look at Netflix's history also. It started from nowhere. These media companies merging doesn't prevent a new Netflix, or a new service like even something small like CuriosityStream - that actually is a more direct competitor to Discovery than HBO, from arising as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts