DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,286 Posts
Disney+'s global ARPU is dragged down because it's sold so cheap in parts of Asia. Jason Kilar (now running HBO Max for at least awhile longer) did a good job as CEO of Hulu. It now has over 40 million US subs, just behind HBO/HBO Max.

Hmm, first I've heard of that one. The big one I read about today is NBCU and ViacomCBS. NBCU and Warner had been in talks and while I think it would've been a better match-up than Warner and Discovery, I think AT&T was so scared of another anti-trust trial and they opted for the easier deal. So now NBCU is left looking for someone else to help them scale up to compete with Disney and Netflix.

Still available:
  • ViacomCBS
  • Sony Pictures (less interesting after just striking a long-term output deal with Netflix)
  • Fox (broadcast, news, sports nets)
  • Lionsgate (includes Starz)
  • AMC
  • MGM (includes Epix)
  • Crown Media (i.e. Hallmark nets, privately held)
I don't expect FOX to merge with anyone. They are what they are for the foreseeable future imho.

You won't see NBC and CBS merge. Not happening.

Sony maybe but they'd Lilly be the buyer if someone else like lions gate and amc maybe. I could see Viacom going after those two as well. Maybe even NBC. But really I don't expect to much from NBC.

And I doubt crown will ever be sold.

·
Premium Member
25,286 Posts
If he was smart.. he’d roll everything into the HBO max app, and make the price the current HBO max price and that’s it.

I’m not convinced what he is planning won’t be to do just that. Create an entirely new app that has discovery and HBO sections similar to how the max app has the dc sections for example now…. And by the time they are ready to shut down the dual apps, have everyone paying the same on both apps…. And then simply upgrade both apps to the one new unified app.

Heck they may start putting both apps content on both apps over time and then roll out a unified app.

He is foolish to run from TV movies… but I don’t actually believe he is. He said he doesn’t see the point in making theatrical budget movies for streaming. And I don’t really disagree with him on that either.

I have a feeling his goal is to make HBO max similar to what HBO always was and was known for. High quality tv and theatrical showings. Not junky movies and tv shows with massive budgets pushed to streaming to try and increase numbers. Massive budgets only for shows like GOT….

1 - 3 of 3 Posts