Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6574967.html?nid=4262

"AT&T will stop reselling Dish Network satellite TV services on Dec. 31 under the terms of the two companies' 2003 agreement, but the telco said it's still "evaluating" its options on whether it would offer DirecTV or Dish service in 2009 and beyond"

Wonder if they'll even partner with anyone or just go it alone? AT&T has always said that they would reevaluate their decision to stay with Dish so I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise then.

·
Super Moderator
53,496 Posts
New terms January 1st ...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a "private label" system where AT&T Satellite is all the customers see. (They will "just happen" to have dishes aimed at DISH Network / Echostar satellites. :) )

·
Godfather
483 Posts
James Long said:
New terms January 1st ...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a "private label" system where AT&T Satellite is all the customers see. (They will "just happen" to have dishes aimed at DISH Network / Echostar satellites. :) )
It's possible... but since SBC bought ATT I beleive they are more interested in trying to further their push into the cable business on their own with their U-verse solution. (Although their buildout is probably too limited to drop some satellite solution completely.)

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
This is actually a good thing; AT&T has been doing a lot of dirty pool converting their Dish "partner" accounts to Uverse, in many cases over the objections of the customer. My little company has to reinstall former Uverse-converted customers all the time, at least 1 or 2 a day. And the Uverse installers purposely cut the satellite lines, and in a few cases have removed and taken or destroyed the dish itself.

Clearly, AT&T sees Dish as a temporary solution, and anywhere they can push Uverse, they do so, even if that means cannibalizing their partnered accounts.

Also, 90% of the AT&T-generated Dish work orders are incorrect. One of my daily tasks is to call any AT&T partner account and ask the customer what they actually want, because I know that my work order is going to have very little resemblence to the customer's actual wishes. And getting those work orders changed is another huge ordeal.

Ultimately, I don't think it helps dish very much. And all that hassle to save a whole $4/month...

·
Legend
233 Posts
IIP said:
This is actually a good thing; AT&T has been doing a lot of dirty pool converting their Dish "partner" accounts to Uverse, in many cases over the objections of the customer. My little company has to reinstall former Uverse-converted customers all the time, at least 1 or 2 a day. And the Uverse installers purposely cut the satellite lines, and in a few cases have removed and taken or destroyed the dish itself.

Clearly, AT&T sees Dish as a temporary solution, and anywhere they can push Uverse, they do so, even if that means cannibalizing their partnered accounts.

Also, 90% of the AT&T-generated Dish work orders are incorrect. One of my daily tasks is to call any AT&T partner account and ask the customer what they actually want, because I know that my work order is going to have very little resemblence to the customer's actual wishes. And getting those work orders changed is another huge ordeal.

Ultimately, I don't think it helps dish very much. And all that hassle to save a whole $4/month...
I discourage any customer from getting the AT&T | DISH Bundle if I can. The account set up is horrendous and it only worked once. Every other time it was nothing but problems, 3-way phone calls lasting more than an hour, total inept CSR at AT&T, etc. The list goes on. I advise the customer that having a separate DISH account is the way to go and that the savings is negligible. Besides we offer a full 1 year service agreement with zero deductible and zero truck roll charge (remotes excluded) and that wins them over to us.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,544 Posts
IIP said:
...Ultimately, I don't think it helps dish very much. And all that hassle to save a whole $4/month...
Is that all DISH make? This whole thing about ATT buying DISH, and the ATT DISH contract, what a joke!

I recently installed ATT Uveres tripleplay with the intention to keep only the Uverse Internet. Their Uverse TV is child's play, only one HD at a time, a lot of bugs with the box.

Only after the ATT installer did such a great job networking the whole house up for me, did I decide to just cancel the TV part, and kept both the Uverse Internet and phone services.

The Uverse Internet service has been rock solid, 10mbps down/1.5mbps up for $55, cost less than Comast broadband at 12mbps with peak limitation and outages. I wish there is a third choice for Internet but at least Comcast broadband is no longer the only game in town.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
jacmyoung said:
The Uverse Internet service has been rock solid, 10mbps down/1.5mbps up for $55, cost less than Comast broadband at 12mbps with peak limitation and outages. I wish there is a third choice for Internet but at least Comcast broadband is no longer the only game in town.
That's your town, not mine. The New ATT will never spring for "universal" broadband service (or TV) unless the government subsidizes them. Oh wait, they did that for 80+ years and quit, and PacBell/SBC/ATT abandoned universal comparable service instantly.

I only have Comcast broadband because Adelphia "wired" our rural area before it went bankrupt and Comcast had to take us to get the Adelphia assets.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure that AT&T would like to get any video customer to sign up with their UVerse service, why split the $'s with someone else. But they're not going to have UVerse everywhere in their service area and need to partner with someone, guess we'll just have to wait until the end of the year to see who that is.

·
Legend
214 Posts
My DISH was bundled with AT&T until I moved and I have to say I never did have any problems with service. Then again I was one of the lucky ones that my only major problem was no video/sound which was solved by a reciever reset. AT&T transfered me over to DISH directly too without any problems. However different areas different service and CSRs.

·
AllStar
51 Posts
Kevin Brown said:
This surprises me. I have the bundled service, and I've gotten much better CSR help from AT&T than from Dish directly.
When I had the bundle I called the CSr for a sat problem and when talking to her I found out she was with Dish. you get routed to them. She knew I was an ATT customer and answered with the standard ATT msg.

I was bundled about 2 weeks. Dropped ATT phone and internet and went back to Comcast for internet. Paid $29 for 12 months. ATT now has dry socket DSL. If Comcast even flinches like they may raise me about $42 (current internet) I told them I would drop and switch. Oh yea I HATE Comcast....

·
Icon
961 Posts
IIP said:
This is actually a good thing; AT&T has been doing a lot of dirty pool converting their Dish "partner" accounts to Uverse, in many cases over the objections of the customer.
U-Verse rolled into my neighborhood about a month ago. I even asked the guys installing the street wire to confirm. Yup, U-Verse. But still no "dirty pool" here even though I'm bundled with DSL & phone. I'm even on the "contact me when U-Verse is in my area" website list. Haven't heard a thing. I'm kind of curious how long it will take them to at least contact me. Half a year from the end of my DISH contract (and counting). I'm not keen to get U-Verse though. Would love to sign on to FIOS. I'm hoping that Verizon buys the area from AT&T some day.

No problem with the original work order here but customer service is another story. Dealing with two different companies is a royal pain in the kazoo. They like to blame each other when something goes wrong, or they use the other as an excuse for why they can't do something. And even when something is in just the one company's domain, such as respective rebates, there is a big hassle to trying to get things processed correctly. Plus, as someone else mentioned, there's confusion about which CSR you're getting when you call. That confusion lasts about a month until you realize that the CSRs who really don't give a damn are AT&T. DISH CSRs are sometimes wrong but at least they try to help.

Quote:
I discourage any customer from getting the AT&T | DISH Bundle if I can. ...
Amen to that! I saved a bunch of money but it still wasn't worth it. And i wouldn't have saved any money at all if I didn't chase down all the rebate SNAFU traps they set (both companies in this bundle arrangement).

This surprises me. I have the bundled service, and I've gotten much better CSR help from AT&T than from Dish directly.
Not in this area. Give me a CSR from India or Timbuktoo any day over what AT&T hires for our area.

·
Difficulty Concen........
7,395 Posts
AT&T has a game plan of being ready to offer their own tv solution by Jan'09. That means different things to different areas. Fios in the north and IPTV in the south for most part.

·
Icon
961 Posts
Michigan is on the list of states Verizon plans to expand into with FIOS -- the "future deployment" list. Armophob, please elaborate on what you mean by AT&T offering "their own tv solution by Jan '09." In partnership with Verizon? (in the north) Is there a discussion about it on some other thread or forum? thx.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,687 Posts
falcon241073 said:
When I had the bundle I called the CSr for a sat problem and when talking to her I found out she was with Dish. you get routed to them. She knew I was an ATT customer and answered with the standard ATT msg.
Yes, but you got a Dish CSR located in the States and not one from India. In my experance, US based Dish CSRs are better trained then ones from India (or wherever they are now).

·
Hall Of Fame
6,226 Posts
jacmyoung said:
Is that all DISH make? This whole thing about ATT buying DISH, and the ATT DISH contract, what a joke!

I recently installed ATT Uveres tripleplay with the intention to keep only the Uverse Internet. Their Uverse TV is child's play, only one HD at a time, a lot of bugs with the box.

Only after the ATT installer did such a great job networking the whole house up for me, did I decide to just cancel the TV part, and kept both the Uverse Internet and phone services.

Thanks for the heads up. MOTO boxes? I was toying with the idea of switching, (when they come to town). Scratch that!

·
7,395 Posts
peak_reception said:
Michigan is on the list of states Verizon plans to expand into with FIOS -- the "future deployment" list. Armophob, please elaborate on what you mean by AT&T offering "their own tv solution by Jan '09." In partnership with Verizon? (in the north) Is there a discussion about it on some other thread or forum? thx.
No partnership. In the now 22 states that AT&T covers they are spending money like crazy to get fiber within 500' of every household and are repairing as many copper pairs as they can. Once they have x amount of homes ready to go, they will be turning on large areas at a time. Bottom line is, at least in Florida, they are trying to give bundled phone,dsl, and tv over 2 copper pairs at 30meg. 6 meg for dsl and 24 for the tv.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
armophob said:
In the now 22 states that AT&T covers they are spending money like crazy to get fiber within 500' of every household and are repairing as many copper pairs as they can. Once they have x amount of homes ready to go, they will be turning on large areas at a time.
Turning on large densely developed metropolitan areas. maybe. But we rural brethren in the AT&T pews will be lucky if they maintain the pair that feeds our phone.

·
7,395 Posts
phrelin said:
Turning on large densely developed metropolitan areas. maybe. But we rural brethren in the AT&T pews will be lucky if they maintain the pair that feeds our phone.
That may be mostly true. At least in the beginning. Their end game plan is when they get the fiber within 500' of every home then they will switch the dialtone over to voice over ip on their network. You may never know it it ever happened except the phone line gets less scratchy. They aim for 12-15% of the tv market so they will be starting in the most dense areas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.