DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PR release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/directvs-nfl-sunday-ticket-live-streaming-service-expands-to-more-apartment-residents-and-university-students-nationwide-300126037.html

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Aug. 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- DIRECTV, now part of the AT&T family, and the NFL, have significantly expanded the availability of NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV to more fans, on more devices, so millions of customers who are unable to install a satellite dish can still watch every live out-of-market NFL game, every Sunday afternoon.
The exclusive, live streaming version of the popular NFL SUNDAY TICKET subscription service is available to consumers living in an apartment, condominium or townhome who are not now receiving DIRECTV service. NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV is also available to consumers who were not able to install a DIRECTV dish at their home due to an obstruction or other restriction. Active students at four-year universities nationwide can buy NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV U at an exclusive student price.
"Millions of people in apartments and houses in the U.S. who were unable to install DIRECTV satellite dishes can now enjoy every out-of-market game, every Sunday afternoon on their favorite mobile and connected devices," said Alex Kaplan, senior vice president, Marketing for DIRECTV, part of the AT&T family. "More NFL fans than ever before will be able to access NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV service and follow their favorite teams and players."
NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV packages start at $49.99 a month for four months, and offer a variety of services (features vary according to the varying packages), including live out-of-market NFL games every Sunday afternoon, accessible via computers, tablets, smartphones or popular connected devices - including Xbox One, Xbox 360, Sony PS3, Sony PS4, Roku and Chromecast. NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV MAX also provides access to the popular RED ZONE CHANNEL and DIRECTV FANTASY ZONE, an exclusive live channel entirely devoted to fantasy football. Entering its second season, DIRECTV FANTASY ZONE gives game-to-game fantasy analysis and real-time stats, highlights, projections and key player updates powered by NFL.com Fantasy Football.
A special student version of NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV U offers all premium features and benefits available in NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV MAX at a very "student-friendly" price of only $24.99/month for four months.
To subscribe to an NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV streaming package, consumers must visit nflsundayticket.tv online to see if they're eligible for the standalone live streaming service and to review package details. For more information on the verification process, please watch this video:
About DIRECTV
DIRECTV, part of the AT&T family of products and services, is the largest satellite TV provider in the U.S. delivering a premium video experience through state-of-the-art technology, industry leading customer service and unmatched programming including access to its exclusive NFL SUNDAY TICKET, which provides customers with every live NFL game, every Sunday afternoon. DIRECTV serves more than 39 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America.
About AT&T
AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) helps millions around the globe connect with leading entertainment, mobile, high speed Internet and voice services. We're the world's largest provider of pay TV. We have TV customers in the U.S. and 11 Latin American countries. In the U.S., our wireless network offers the nation's strongest LTE signal and the most reliable 4G LTE network. We offer the best global wireless coverage*. And we help businesses worldwide serve their customers better with our mobility and secure cloud solutions.
Additional information about AT&T products and services is available at http://about.att.com. Follow our news on Twitter at @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
© 2015 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the Globe logo and other marks are trademarks and service marks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
Reliability and signal strength claims based on nationwide carriers' LTE. Signal strength claim based ONLY on avg. LTE signal strength. LTE not available everywhere.
*Global coverage claim based on offering discounted voice and data roaming; LTE roaming; voice roaming; and world-capable smartphone and tablets in more countries than any other U.S. based carrier. Coverage not available in all areas. Coverage may vary per country and be limited/restricted in some countries.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And a few college campuses. (Perhaps only those in NYC, Philly, and San Francisco...) :)

Peace,
Tom

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
And a few college campuses. (Perhaps only those in NYC, Philly, and San Francisco...) :)

Peace,
Tom
from last year's article on the nfl.com website:
The service is only available to those who: 1) live in apartment buildings where DirecTV service is unavailable; 2) live in metro New York, Philadelphia or San Francisco; or 3) attend college at Michigan (Ann Arbor), Alabama, Washington, Texas (Austin), USC, Florida, Colorado (Boulder), Syracuse, Ohio State or Harvard.
Today I checked the availability of the service for my daughter who attends one of those schools. I specifically spelled her last name wrong (just to protect her for potential spam/telemarketers).

I got back an 'not eligible; unable to verify your name in the student database' (not those exact words) pop-up. I'm guessing the listed schools probably agreed to provide some sort of method for DIRECTV to check their enrollment for verification purposes.

·
Godfather
468 Posts
trh said:
from last year's article on the nfl.com website:

Today I checked the availability of the service for my daughter who attends one of those schools. I specifically spelled her last name wrong (just to protect her for potential spam/telemarketers).

I got back an 'not eligible; unable to verify your name in the student database' (not those exact words) pop-up. I'm guessing the listed schools probably agreed to provide some sort of method for DIRECTV to check their enrollment for verification purposes.
Checked my daughter's eligibility here in North Alabama and was originally rejected but another popup screen went to another screen that verified her school email, name and birth date. She was eligible. We will sign her up at the end of the month. Season doesn't start to next month.

·
Godfather
468 Posts
One more sidebar, for all the critics of the ATT buyout its not surprising that ATT's moving quickly to change some of the stumbling methodology of DTV previous management. It has always surprised me that DTV didn't use ST to make more money, by offering it as a standalone option to non-satellite users.

Perhaps new management will finally see that the old DTV business model has become dated. Asking customers to pay a couple hundred of bucks for leased equipment has always annoyed me. (Yes I know cable companies do it too.) Perhaps DTV can finally get help on how to properly stream content without have to record it first.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jerrylove56 said:
One more sidebar, for all the critics of the ATT buyout its not surprising that ATT's moving quickly to change some of the stumbling methodology of DTV previous management. It has always surprised me that DTV didn't use ST to make more money, by offering it as a standalone option to non-satellite users.

Perhaps new management will finally see that the old DTV business model has become dated. Asking customers to pay a couple hundred of bucks for leased equipment has always annoyed me. (Yes I know cable companies do it too.) Perhaps DTV can finally get help on how to properly stream content without have to record it first.
You might be forgetting who controlled DIRECTV's ability to distribute the NFL Sunday Ticket--the NFL itself...

Who knows what ways DIRECTV worked with the NFL to find the right mixture of availability and pricing to maximize profits for both.

Peace,
Tom

·
Godfather
983 Posts
I wonder, for non-students, how they are going to verify that you can't get DirecTV? Are they going to verify that there is an obstruction? Just because you live in a Condo doesn't mean you can't use DirecTV - lived in 2 where people had it. Same thing for people with apartments with porch facing correct direction.
I would guess that they will be very liberal in - if you say you can't they will accept that. It could be a big revenue gain for AT&T. I think they verify college because of the cost difference.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
CTJon said:
I wonder, for non-students, how they are going to verify that you can't get DirecTV? Are they going to verify that there is an obstruction? Just because you live in a Condo doesn't mean you can't use DirecTV - lived in 2 where people had it. Same thing for people with apartments with porch facing correct direction.
I would guess that they will be very liberal in - if you say you can't they will accept that. It could be a big revenue gain for AT&T. I think they verify college because of the cost difference.
You probably need to be on record as being unable to get Directv - i.e. you've had an installer out and he reported NLOS.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
CTJon said:
They wanted Sunday Ticket bad enough that if DTV did not get the contract with the NFL renewed that they were not going to go thru with the acquisition.

·
Super Moderator
53,483 Posts
CTJon said:
I wonder, for non-students, how they are going to verify that you can't get DirecTV?
How did they verify last year? Consider the limited markets ans schools that could subscribe last year as a test.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,973 Posts
jerrylove56 said:

I havent paid a couple hundred bucks for leased equipment. I own all of my equipment as well I might add.

·
AllStar
91 Posts
Not sure what the requirements are/were, but my coworker said he got it last year online (through the Madden promotion). Said he signed up again this year with no hassle. He isn't a DirecTv subscriber and can get service at his house if he wanted to.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Christopher Gould said:
Wasn't it available a few years ago on ps3, if you couldn't get satellite. Then it was discontinued.
I think the NFL is experimenting. They like the exclusive with Directv because it is lucrative and Directv covers nearly anyone regardless of their broadband speed (or lack of) but obviously it can't serve everyone, and they want to make sure they are getting the most money possible.

They want to find a way to fill in holes for people who can't put up a dish, either because of their living situation (in a dorm, apartment, condo etc. where it isn't possible) or those who don't have line of sight to Directv satellites. That seems to be what is going on here, and they're mostly leaving it up to Directv. Who knows how the contract is written, maybe it is up to Directv to make it happen, maybe they have incentives/requirements to serve a certain number of NLOS customers a year, who knows.

The current contract runs pretty long (eight seasons including this one I believe) and the pay TV and broadband world will be changed a lot by then. When the NFL can make more money selling streaming subscriptions rather than making a deal with Directv, they'll do that. They'll have some issues to work out by then, like preventing account sharing and coming up with a solution for sports bars that have dozens of TVs and may not have the bandwidth to maintain dozens of streams (I imagine that like today in 2023 in many areas even the 7 or 8 streams required for all unique simultaneous games would be impossible, especially if NFLST is delivered in 120 fps HDR 4K by then - that's easily 300+ Mbps)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,422 Posts
slice1900 said:
I think the NFL is experimenting. They like the exclusive with Directv because it is lucrative and Directv covers nearly anyone regardless of their broadband speed (or lack of) but obviously it can't serve everyone, and they want to make sure they are getting the most money possible.

They want to find a way to fill in holes for people who can't put up a dish, either because of their living situation (in a dorm, apartment, condo etc. where it isn't possible) or those who don't have line of sight to Directv satellites. That seems to be what is going on here, and they're mostly leaving it up to Directv. Who knows how the contract is written, maybe it is up to Directv to make it happen, maybe they have incentives/requirements to serve a certain number of NLOS customers a year, who knows.

The current contract runs pretty long (eight seasons including this one I believe) and the pay TV and broadband world will be changed a lot by then. When the NFL can make more money selling streaming subscriptions rather than making a deal with Directv, they'll do that. They'll have some issues to work out by then, like preventing account sharing and coming up with a solution for sports bars that have dozens of TVs and may not have the bandwidth to maintain dozens of streams (I imagine that like today in 2023 in many areas even the 7 or 8 streams required for all unique simultaneous games would be impossible, especially if NFLST is delivered in 120 fps HDR 4K by then - that's easily 300+ Mbps)
Also the IT hardware / tech people to setup an network that can do that WIFI is likely out due to the need Spectrum. Also maybe the switcher space to have say 8-10+ boxes just for NFL ticket.

·
Godfather
1,076 Posts
Yeah, back a couple of years ago I got Sunday Ticket online with the purchase of Madden. The fine print said you had to be unable to get Directv to qualify, but they did not enforce that - if you purchased the game you got the streaming service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.