DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mentor
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am planning on upgrading my HR10 to HR20, therefore I need to know how much trouble is it to mount the AT9, I have installed all my dishs in the past.

Also will the HR10 work on the AT9 dish??

Any and all comments are greatly appreicated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
bluegoose said:
Also will the HR10 work on the AT9 dish??
Yes, absolutely.

The HR-10 will recognized the AT-9 as a 3LNB Oval Dish.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, once I get the AT9 installed will I need one of those multi-switches to hook up both my HR-20 and HR-10? if so what is a good switch to buy.

Thanks in Advance
Brad
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
561 Posts
DirecTV should install the AT9 for free. You may want to consider that. I've usually pointed my own dish, but it was really easy to have them install the AU9 for me. I already had all the cable runs, the guy just climbed the latter, removed the old dish and mount, installed a new mount, put the dish on and aligned it. His dish aligner tool was a cool little computer like unit. Way easier than my method of listening to the singal strength noise on the TV :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
redfiver said:
DirecTV should install the AT9 for free. You may want to consider that. I've usually pointed my own dish, but it was really easy to have them install the AU9 for me. I already had all the cable runs, the guy just climbed the latter, removed the old dish and mount, installed a new mount, put the dish on and aligned it. His dish aligner tool was a cool little computer like unit. Way easier than my method of listening to the singal strength noise on the TV :)
I agree... If possible, I would take up DTV on a free upgrade/install. Remember you'll need to (forgot the term) find the "sweet spot" for all the sats that are up there INCLUDING DTV 10 and 11 which aren't up there yet.

With 5LNB's to line up, it seems like a bit of a challenge without the right tools. If you have one of those fancy signal meteres then I'd say go for it! I'm sure there are plenty of DTV installers lurking around here to give you tips.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
460 Posts
I did my own install of an AT9 dish, and found the level of difficulty to be greatly exaggerated. It was pretty darned simple. Just setting the dish on the mounting and roughing-in the elevation and tilt was enough to get me the three main satellites, plus signals in the 80s on the 99 and 103. I used a hand-held meter for the fine tuning, and ended up with 80-100 on the main satellites, and 99-100 on 99 and 103.

The main reason I did the self-install though is because I wanted a "non-standard" installation that no installer would do. The dish is sitting on the side of the house, on a 2-foot pipe that is sunk into a 12x12x12 wood planter. :D I don't like things bolted to my house, and I don't want concrete in the ground. This solves both problems. No snow here, and no obstructions, so two feet off the ground is plenty!

Oh, and that planter is filled with 125 lbs. of concrete ...
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
38 Posts
bluegoose said:
Hello all,
I am planning on upgrading my HR10 to HR20, therefore I need to know how much trouble is it to mount the AT9, I have installed all my dishs in the past.

Also will the HR10 work on the AT9 dish??

Any and all comments are greatly appreicated.
I just installed the AT9 myself. It was a pain in the ?!% until I realized I had my old RCA DRD 42 Receiver (my original d* receiver). It seems to be a lot more sensitive to the signal.
With the H20 I started with I could not find any D* sats after 2 hours I quit for the day. The next day I hooked up the RCA and found the sats in about 5 minutes. This was on the ground to check for line of sight. Then I moved the dish up 30 feet in a tree to be able to see sat 119 over the trees. Again within 5 min I had a signal and could hook up the H20 and dial in the dish.

FYI The RCA showed sat 101 96% signal on RCA. 75% signal on H20, 95 % on HR20. Same signal just moved lead from one box to the next.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this site. I have been a lurker on this site and AVS for a long time. Without you all I would have given up long ago.

Rich
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
289 Posts
bluegoose said:
Thanks for the info, once I get the AT9 installed will I need one of those multi-switches to hook up both my HR-20 and HR-10? if so what is a good switch to buy.

Thanks in Advance
Brad
Hey, Brad,

If you're only hooking up two set-top boxes to the AT-9, then no switch will be necessary.

The dish supports up to four boxes out of the box without the need for a switch (it actually has a switch installed in the LNB housing).
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
49 Posts
I want to install the newer dish myself but I also want to get it from DirecTV.

Apparently the only way to get it from them is to have the installer bring it out. I have a 3 LNB dish right now and an HR20 on the way (should be here today) that I got from circuit city. Any way of getting the dish without having to get it professionally installed or waiting for the installer to come out? For free? :D

I've seen them on eBay so I might end up buying it there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,624 Posts
havanahjoe said:
I want to install the newer dish myself but I also want to get it from DirecTV.

Apparently the only way to get it from them is to have the installer bring it out. I have a 3 LNB dish right now and an HR20 on the way (should be here today) that I got from circuit city. Any way of getting the dish without having to get it professionally installed or waiting for the installer to come out? For free? :D

I've seen them on eBay so I might end up buying it there.
Some folks have had success getting DirecTV to reimburse their dish cost. You can buy them from dealers on eBay, or online dealers like http://www.soldisignal.com.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
49 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Some folks have had success getting DirecTV to reimburse their dish cost. You can buy them from dealers on eBay, or online dealers like soldisignal.com.
Interesting! I'll have to search up on that option. I guess they probably do it with some service discounts and stuff. I still need to call up and try to get some discounts for having to buy the HR20 from Circuit City. Thanks for the tip.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
460 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Some folks have had success getting DirecTV to reimburse their dish cost.[/url].
I must be a real loser. In the past 5 months or so, I've paid $399 for an HR10, $299 each for two HR20s, $99 for an AT9 and another $99 for an AU9. All I've managed to get in the way of credits are one for $120, and a few free months of the HD package and Showtime.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
49 Posts
Well. I paid $299 for this HR20, I got an H20 for free last week, bought a 3 LNB dish with a tripod off of craigslist for $50 (which I thought was a great deal), so $99 for a 5 LNB AU9 doesn't seem too bad. If I can get some money back from D* it'll be even better so I'll give it a try.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top