DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to get line of sight to the satellites, I need to mount an AT9 on a 10 foot pole (for various reasons, other dish mount methods won't work in this particular circumstance). The purpose of this post is to find out all I need to about the specs for that ten foot pole (which I'll have professionally installed):

1. How long a pole do I need to end up with 10 feet above ground, strong enough to hold an AT9? I.e., how deep must the hole filled with concrete be?

2. The pole will be next to the house, as close as possible to it (the object is that, when painted to match, the pole with blend into the house as much as possible). So, how far from the house should I place the pole?

3. Is it possible to mount an AT9 that high without any guy wires, monopoles, etc.?

4. Am I correct that the pole should be 2" in diameter?

5. Who should I call to do the installation-- a fence installer?

Any other advice/info on such a pole mount would be welcome!

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
I'd suggest 3 1/2" OD schedule 80 pipe with a reducer at the top to the 2" needed bury 3' in the ground with at least 5 bags of concrete.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
10 feet high? Make a tripod out of 3 poles, you'll need more than just a single pole for strength unless you go with a HUGE diameter pole.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I'd be wrong if i didn't suggest the use of "guy wires" or some other means of support. If you don't, "sway" is going to be a huge issue with this dish. A suggestion might be, to use inexpensive standard mast guy wire and doggie anchors. These can be purchased pretty cheap ($3 or so). These are the ones that can be screwed into the ground about 16-18 inches. Clamp the wires around the mast and insert a turn buckled somewhere on the wires for adjustment. Be careful though, as to not place too much tension on the wires that may affect the dish alignment.

Works like a charm......................i've used the same method. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
Could you mount the pole adjacent to the house so that you could bolt it to an eave or something like that, and have it continue to the height you need it? Or will the dish actually be below roof level? Any other possibility of bracing the pole to the house?

Carl

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. A bigger diameter pole is a better option for me than a tripod or anything guy wired. Reasons: I'm dealing with an HOA (I know, they can't stop me from doing it, but I'm trying to get along) and because it's going into an area of ground that's fairly small (surrounded by either house or concrete patio). However, I should be able to bolt it tothe eave as Carl suggested, so with a lot of cement at the bottom and a good solid brace at the top, I'd think it would be pretty steady. Heck, before the days of Dish and Direct I saw a lot of BUD's mounted on poles.....

If I called Ironwood, do they have people that do this sort of thing for a price? Or do they just do the standard installs for Direct?

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
DennyC said:

If I called Ironwood, do they have people that do this sort of thing for a price? Or do they just do the standard installs for Direct?
I don't think your typical installer can handle this sort of installation. Best to call first and discuss the specifics with them to avoid last minute surprises.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,090 Posts
DennyC said:
In order to get line of sight to the satellites, I need to mount an AT9 on a 10 foot pole (for various reasons, other dish mount methods won't work in this particular circumstance). The purpose of this post is to find out all I need to about the specs for that ten foot pole (which I'll have professionally installed):

1. How long a pole do I need to end up with 10 feet above ground, strong enough to hold an AT9? I.e., how deep must the hole filled with concrete be?

2. The pole will be next to the house, as close as possible to it (the object is that, when painted to match, the pole with blend into the house as much as possible). So, how far from the house should I place the pole?

3. Is it possible to mount an AT9 that high without any guy wires, monopoles, etc.?

4. Am I correct that the pole should be 2" in diameter?

5. Who should I call to do the installation-- a fence installer?

Any other advice/info on such a pole mount would be welcome!
You may want to read through this thread as it will give you some insight...
h**p://***.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=70524
^replace the *'s with tt and www to make the link work....

·
Legend
125 Posts
Get some monopoles and mount the dish withing reaching distance of the monopoles and have the monopoles be your brace, have the pole 3 ft in the ground, a whole lot of cement, aprox 4-5 bags and 6-8 monopoles. it will achieve your desired result and be sturdy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.