DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to install 2 or more AT9 dishes (through multiswitches, combiners, etc) in order to increase signal strength to my HR20? I have a satellite tracking meter and I have it aimed as well as I can. Signal strength on SD satellites (101,110,119) is mid/high 90's with some in 80's...HD satellites (99,103) signal strength vary widely from 70's to the 50's. During even light rain or just windy days I notice the beginings of "Rain Fade" on the HD channels...and heavy winter snows here in Cleveland haven't even started yet!

OR

Can someone point me toward a larger dish that I could install that would give me more signal strength (on the HD satellites especially)?

Thanks all for any help you can give...I've had D* for a long time but just made my first upgrade to HD and I've never used anything but the original 18" dish and I've never used any multiswitches or splitters or anything else...I only have the 1 receiver.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
I do not believe you can combine two dishes to increase the gain the way you can stack antennas, the reason being, they are powered. As for your signal strength on 99 and 103, since they are all spot beams (as far as I know), your signal levels will vary wildly as you reach the fringe of the spot. If your signal is varying due to wind, check to make sure they installed the brace on your dish mounting arm, if its wall mounted. You might be able to find a large multisat dish in the FTA market, but beware the voltages of the AT9 LNBs is not the same as the voltages in the old one, two, or three lnb systems.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
You cannot combine multiple dishes to increase signal readings. But your readings on the 99 and 103-deg satellites seem low and could be causing your reception issues with your local HDTV channels.

Was your AT9 dish professionally installed? I'm guessing that the dish is not optimally aligned. It takes some tweaking to maximize the levels of those satellites.

·
Godfather
313 Posts
genrlc said:
Is it possible to install 2 or more AT9 dishes (through multiswitches, combiners, etc) in order to increase signal strength to my HR20? I have a satellite tracking meter and I have it aimed as well as I can. Signal strength on SD satellites (101,110,119) is mid/high 90's with some in 80's...HD satellites (99,103) signal strength vary widely from 70's to the 50's. During even light rain or just windy days I notice the beginings of "Rain Fade" on the HD channels...and heavy winter snows here in Cleveland haven't even started yet!

OR

Can someone point me toward a larger dish that I could install that would give me more signal strength (on the HD satellites especially)?

Thanks all for any help you can give...I've had D* for a long time but just made my first upgrade to HD and I've never used anything but the original 18" dish and I've never used any multiswitches or splitters or anything else...I only have the 1 receiver.
There are 3 minorly different mounting locations for the aux LNB assembly. The correct location for your area can be determined from a map in the dish manual. This could be your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.