DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an AT9 dish real cheap on eBay, and it was listed as "missing hardware." I received it today, and yes, it's missing the nuts and bolts. It did come with an instruction sheet which lists the nuts and bolts that I need, which is great. However, I'm confused by the "tilt nuts." I don't have any tilt nuts, nor are they even shown on the parts list on the first page. It looks like there are supposed to be three of them. Also, in step 4, the instructions jump right into adjusting the tilt nuts, but there was no mention of how the LNB arm/antenna back gets attached to the AZ/EL mount/mast clamp. What am I missing?

·
You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
jsevinsk said:
I picked up an AT9 dish real cheap on eBay, and it was listed as "missing hardware." I received it today, and yes, it's missing the nuts and bolts. It did come with an instruction sheet which lists the nuts and bolts that I need, which is great. However, I'm confused by the "tilt nuts." I don't have any tilt nuts, nor are they even shown on the parts list on the first page. It looks like there are supposed to be three of them. Also, in step 4, the instructions jump right into adjusting the tilt nuts, but there was no mention of how the LNB arm/antenna back gets attached to the AZ/EL mount/mast clamp. What am I missing?
Just did one of these myself yesterday (except with all the hardware in the shipment :) ).

First - did the dish come with the four flat grey bolts that allow you to attach the dish to the arm? If not, I'd be careful to make sure you get flat (not rounded) bolts 'cuz in the install videos I've seen, you're told to make sure those bolts are all the way flat to the dish (rounded ones may cause reflection problems maybe).

Second - yes there are three tilt bolts and nuts and they are the same size as those flat grey bolts and have the same ribbed nuts that allow for solid connection.

Third - once you have those tilt bolts and nuts, you want to attach the mount/mast clamp to the antenna arm first, then attach the newly connected clamp and arm to the dish, otherwise you'll be fishing your hands in there between the dish and arm to try to secure the tilt bolts to the clamp.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Hmmm... I hate to see you get all the headaches of ebay. DirecTV is doing free AT-9 or Slimline installs for it's HD customers that need them. So let DirecTV worry about it.:confused:

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
The tech who installed my dish managed it all (including presetting the tilt, altitude and azimuth settings of the mount) using just a single powerdrill and no instructions - he told me he's done over 100 AT-9s and once he looks up your ZIP on his handy chart to pre-set the mount hardware, he just assembles the whole thing in about 10 - 15 minutes until it's time to hang the mast. Once he had the mast mounted on the side of my house, he was able to connect his meter and peak the dish in like ten seconds before tightening up the bolts. Signal strenghs all mid-90s or higher. This whole process took him 30 minutes or less and it was part of my free install (along with the free AT-9). I applaud the do-it-yourselfers (I used to be one - did my own first install back in '97), but it's hard to beat "free", especially when the guy doing it knows exactly how to do it and get it done quickly.

·
AllStar
79 Posts
That's the problem, Lefty.

Many installers do not know what they're doing and many others are incompetent or simply lazy.

I am not really looking forward to having the installer come out to my house. Frankly, I'd much prefer never having those types of installers step foot into my house.

·
Banned
614 Posts
WinstonSmith said:
That's the problem, Lefty.

Many installers do not know what they're doing and many others are incompetent or simply lazy.

I am not really looking forward to having the installer come out to my house. Frankly, I'd much prefer never having those types of installers step foot into my house.
The installer for me did a pretty nice job. Nice and clean. My only complaint is it just was not peaked, which I ended up doing myself. But atleast the bulk of the work was done for me to save me most of the aggrevation that most "do it yourselfers" are describing in the threads.:D

·
Godfather
385 Posts
LameLefty said:
The tech who installed my dish managed it all (including presetting the tilt, altitude and azimuth settings of the mount) using just a single powerdrill and no instructions - he told me he's done over 100 AT-9s and once he looks up your ZIP on his handy chart to pre-set the mount hardware, he just assembles the whole thing in about 10 - 15 minutes until it's time to hang the mast. Once he had the mast mounted on the side of my house, he was able to connect his meter and peak the dish in like ten seconds before tightening up the bolts. Signal strenghs all mid-90s or higher. This whole process took him 30 minutes or less and it was part of my free install (along with the free AT-9). I applaud the do-it-yourselfers (I used to be one - did my own first install back in '97), but it's hard to beat "free", especially when the guy doing it knows exactly how to do it and get it done quickly.
My installer did it the exact same way.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm only doing this myself because the installer would not just swap the old dish for the new dish because the 110 and 119 satellites were blocked by trees. To do a proper install (a metal post on the other side of the trees) would cost me extra money which I didn't want to spend at the time.

Then I got this AT9 for $5 + shipping from eBay, and I figured that I could come up with a temporary solution by mounting it to the deck rail or a fence post or something until I get around to sticking a metal post in the ground. Even if I still can't see the 110 and 119 statellites, at least I'll get the hi-def locals from 99. I just want to watch *something* in hi-def.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So last night, I put this thing together using some nuts & bolts that I bought at the hardware store, clamped it onto my deck railing, and it seems to be working ok. It was easier than expected to align.

I don't suppose someone has a package of "real" nuts & bolts for an AT9 dish laying around, do they?

So, if anybody wants an AT9 dish cheap, check this out:

http://search.stores.ebay.com/BARGA...sooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsaselZ213795116QQsofpZ0

I got mine for around $5. The last auction for one went for under $3.

·
You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
jsevinsk said:
So last night, I put this thing together using some nuts & bolts that I bought at the hardware store, clamped it onto my deck railing, and it seems to be working ok. It was easier than expected to align.

I don't suppose someone has a package of "real" nuts & bolts for an AT9 dish laying around, do they?

So, if anybody wants an AT9 dish cheap, check this out:

http://search.stores.ebay.com/BARGA...sooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsaselZ213795116QQsofpZ0

I got mine for around $5. The last auction for one went for under $3.
Congrats. Did you follow the steps I outlined? Those issues you had with the manual definitely could have been described/shown better in there.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
If DirecTV is providing HD customers free AT-9 or Slimline upgrades why risk ebay?

I bought a dish from a dealer via EBAY with no headaches and installed it myself on my own time. I didn't want to take time off work and wait around all day for a crappy "free installation" that I'd more than likely have to re-do myself.

The price of the dish including shipping and handling was a lot cheaper than using up one vacation day sitting at home waiting for the installer.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Canis Lupus said:
Congrats. Did you follow the steps I outlined? Those issues you had with the manual definitely could have been described/shown better in there.
Yeah, but I did end up using round head bolts for the dish because you can't exactly buy those completely flat head bolts at your local hardware store. And some of the bolts I used were too long. But they work. I'll most likely end up replacing them with some correctly sized stainess steel hardware that won't rust. The hardware store's selection wasn't that good.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
glennb said:
If DirecTV is providing HD customers free AT-9 or Slimline upgrades why risk ebay?

I bought a dish from a dealer via EBAY with no headaches and installed it myself on my own time. I didn't want to take time off work and wait around all day for a crappy "free installation" that I'd more than likely have to re-do myself.

The price of the dish including shipping and handling was a lot cheaper than using up one vacation day sitting at home waiting for the installer.
Hey, speak for yourself. My "free install" was great, the installer did a fine job and it was done on a Saturday afternoon. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.