DBSTalk Forum banner
2601 - 2620 of 2731 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Well that is good to know. But still...why the hell put it on the website in the first place if it isn't true? Just so stupid which come to think of it is right in AT&T's wheelhouse!
Who knows, they put weird stuff in their fine print sometimes. It made little sense to say that it wasn't available to existing customers given that many (most?) of them aren't under contract anyway, so they could just cancel their service and then sign back up the next day at the same price in order to get the free unlimited DVR.

I think it was a year ago, in Jan. '21, when the 2-yr contract became optional on AT&T TV (same time that the service absorbed what had been the contract-free version named AT&T TV Now). And then a few months later in May, they completely dropped the contract option (along with the Xtra package). The no-contract pricing has always been everyday pricing from day one while the contract version had a lower price in the first year and then higher prices thereafter, with an added RSN fee on the Choice and up packages. And the regular prices on the contract version were higher than the everyday no-contract prices. But you got one free box if you took the 2-yr contract. It's much simpler and more straightforward now.

Strange that they're still using the word "contract" in the fine print in connection with the optional boxes because it's not really a contract at all. If your credit's good, they basically just let you pay off the $120 cost over 24 months interest-free at $5/mo but if you cancel the service before 24 months, they'll just bill you immediately for the balance due.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,991 Posts
Yeah I noticed it says for Device installment. So if you have AT&T to install the box they give you a one year contract?
its not a programming contract.. its a payment contract for the device if you want one.. You can either buy from them for 120 up front or pay 5 bucks a month for 2 years to pay it off

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
But it says "Device installment contract options available" which makes no sense but par for the course I guess. So they consider it a contract if you choose to pay it on monthly basis? OK i guess.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,604 ·
But it says "Device installment contract options available" which makes no sense but par for the course I guess. So they consider it a contract if you choose to pay it on monthly basis? OK i guess.
It is a contract for sale, but only on the box. Kind of like the way the cell sellers do. No plan contract but there is one on the phone itself.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
It is true.. Several people on reddit have called in and confirmed it will be free for existing customers.. System hasnt fully updated yet and new plans dont start for 2 days... I also as an existing customer have confirmed I have it
The only issue I see with that is that it is not uncommon to call in and get told something that is not true. But I am hoping that info is correct. :LOL:

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,607 ·
The only issue I see with that is that it is not uncommon to call in and get told something that is not true. But I am hoping that info is correct. :LOL:
On some other forums about this issue, others claim they’ve called and been told that existing subs won’t get it. So it isn’t entirely clear.
IMO, 2 ways to approach this if it turns out to not be for an existing subscriber.
1. Cancel and sign up with a new email address. The downside is all recordings are lost as well as any timers.
2. Chat to cancel if they don’t give it. Of course that might not work.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
On some other forums about this issue, others claim they’ve called and been told that existing subs won’t get it. So it isn’t entirely clear.
IMO, 2 ways to approach this if it turns out to not be for an existing subscriber.
1. Cancel and sign up with a new email address. The downside is all recordings are lost as well as any timers.
2. Chat to cancel if they don’t give it. Of course that might not work.
Online only. New DIRECTV STREAM customers only. Offer not available to DIRECTV and U-verse customer switching to DIRECTV STREAM. Data connection req’d. Recordings expire after 90 days. In a series recording, max 30 episodes stored (oldest deleted first which may be in less than 90 days). Restr’s apply.
Yeah it still has the above info on the website. If as many people have called as has been stated it seems like they would change that wording on the website. I don't have DirecTV Stream but it is in the back of my mind to try it out. But not if I would have to pay $10 for the unlimited DVR while new customers don't. Not sure if a new email address would solve that dilemma as they still have my name and physical address. If I try to Purchase DirecTV Stream online with my existing email address it says I can't use that email address and to call.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,609 ·
Yeah it still has the above info on the website. If as many people have called as has been stated it seems like they would change that wording on the website. I don't have DirecTV Stream but it is in the back of my mind to try it out. But not if I would have to pay $10 for the unlimited DVR while new customers don't. Not sure if a new email address would solve that dilemma as they still have my name and physical address. If I try to Purchase DirecTV Stream online with my existing email address it says I can't use that email address and to call.
Until fairly recently, if you cancelled and tried to restart you had to use an email they didn’t have. In essence making you a new customer. A screwy way to do things, but that’s the way it was.

Seems the software they use only worries about the email you use and not your name and so forth. So a new email probably would still work the same way as long as you haven’t used it with AT&T before.

·
Registered
12,583 Posts
Right. If you use a different email address than your satellite subscription then the two accounts don't know anything about each other. So, yes, you would be a "new account" even if you have an existing DirecTV Satellite account. That's what I did for a month while deciding whether to keep Stream or not. I decided to keep it. In fact, my Satellite account died yesterday and I removed my dish :)

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Right. If you use a different email address than your satellite subscription then the two accounts don't know anything about each other. So, yes, you would be a "new account" even if you have an existing DirecTV Satellite account. That's what I did for a month while deciding whether to keep Stream or not. I decided to keep it. In fact, my Satellite account died yesterday and I removed my dish :)
So are you getting the enhanced DVR?

·
Registered
12,583 Posts
So are you getting the enhanced DVR?
The $10 fee hasn't been removed when I check my Account Summary. I'll give it a week or two before I contact DirecTV about it. Or simply create a new account and cancel this one :)

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,613 ·
The $10 fee hasn't been removed when I check my Account Summary. I'll give it a week or two before I contact DirecTV about it. Or simply create a new account and cancel this one :)
That’s probably what I’ll do too. While I don’t like YTTV’s UI at all, if Google would get off their butt and implement 5.1 audio I would probably switch to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A live chat agent and phone agent that called after my online chat told me existing customers would also be included and my account would reflect the change by the end of the day. It didn't change so I called and the U.S. support agent told me the other 2 agents were incorrect. He looked over those chat transcripts and gave me a 60 dollar credit for 6 free months of unlimited DVR. I should have pressed for free---forever since there is proof I was told that's what I would be getting.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
So their website has changed since the last time I posted. It still has the same text that it only applies to new customers and not new customers moving from Sat or Uverse.

But now if you go look at the Premiere package notice the little superscript 1 & 2 in the below screenshot.

Font Technology Parallel Screenshot Electric blue

The 1 and 2 means:

¹Premium movie channels offers not available to DIRECTV and U-verse TV customers switching to DIRECTV STREAM.
²Online only. New DIRECTV STREAM customers only. Offer not available to DIRECTV and U-verse customer switching to DIRECTV STREAM.

So people moving from Sat or Uverse will not get HBO Max, Showtime, Starz and Cinemax nor will they get the unlimited Cloud DVR so they will definitely want to use a new email address if they sign up for DirecTV Stream.

I guess they really want to discourage their Sat and Uverse subscribers from moving to DirecTV Stream. I guess they may not realize there is another option where their sat and uverse subscribers might switch to another companies service Like Hulu or Google.

They are now including the box (1) with all packages.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,616 ·
So their website has changed since the last time I posted. It still has the same text that it only applies to new customers and not new customers moving from Sat or Uverse.

But now if you go look at the Premiere package notice the little superscript 1 & 2 in the below screenshot.

View attachment 32029

The 1 and 2 means:

¹Premium movie channels offers not available to DIRECTV and U-verse TV customers switching to DIRECTV STREAM.
²Online only. New DIRECTV STREAM customers only. Offer not available to DIRECTV and U-verse customer switching to DIRECTV STREAM.

So people moving from Sat or Uverse will not get HBO Max, Showtime, Starz and Cinemax nor will they get the unlimited Cloud DVR so they will definitely want to use a new email address if they sign up for DirecTV Stream.

I guess they really want to discourage their Sat and Uverse subscribers from moving to DirecTV Stream. I guess they may not realize there is another option where their sat and uverse subscribers might switch to another companies service Like Hulu or Google.

They are now including the box (1) with all packages.
So D* continues to think of creative ways to continue losing subscribers.
First by raising prices to be less competitive, followed by only letting new customers get any relief.
But since becoming a new customer is so easy even if you lose all your recordings and series setups, maybe they hope that either most won’t notice or they will be willing to go through cancel/become new sub. The only thing I know for sure for me is that I won’t stay and pay the $10/month penalty for doing so.
From a financial point I could cancel and switch to something else and save around $50/month

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
So D* continues to think of creative ways to continue losing subscribers.
First by raising prices to be less competitive, followed by only letting new customers get any relief.
But since becoming a new customer is so easy even if you lose all your recordings and series setups, maybe they hope that either most won’t notice or they will be willing to go through cancel/become new sub. The only thing I know for sure for me is that I won’t stay and pay the $10/month penalty for doing so.
From a financial point I could cancel and switch to something else and save around $50/month
Geez, these people are dumb and customer-hostile.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,618 ·
Yeah, you gotta wonder what genius comes up with these ideas that are so hostile to existing customers.

For me, after I confirmed no deal, I cancelled and switched to YTTV. Hate the UI and the way they do recordings, but using it with a Chromecast w/Google TV makes it tolerable.

Love the service D*Stream provides, it just isn’t worth the $50/month more it costs.

I lose DD5.1 & RSNs and gain NFL but otherwise the channel lineup works for me.

Reactions: NashGuy

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
It baffles me with their onslaught of ads claiming their great deals are for both new and existing customers. I know those ads are for their wireless deals but still…same company and they are going out of their way to screw over their existing customers especially since there is an easy work around for existing customers.

2601 - 2620 of 2731 Posts