DBSTalk Forum banner
2621 - 2640 of 2736 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
If you mean me I don't even have DirecTV Stream but like to keep up with what they are doing since someday I might want to get rid of my dish. If they are giving it to existing customers they should remove that text from their website and educate their own people about what is real and what isn't. And they did modify their website between last Friday and Monday but still have that text up there. It isn't that hard to change text on a website. The problem is their own employees don't know what is true and what isn't. But like always AT&T can't get anything right. It is just stupidity on their part.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,624 ·
It’s been 1 day since the new pricing kicked in It’s like watching a bunch of 5 year olds complain then can’t have a new toy for a week
Pretty typical response to announcements from any of these services. Announce, followed by lots of posting about whatever was announced.
With this price increase and the apparent penalty for being an existing customer from a service that is already considered to be overpriced, what would you expect? It doesn’t help that D* can’t seem to get their ducks in a row to ensure their message is clear, concise an correct, but again the usual crapola from them.
No wonder it is back up for sale! With a little luck, if it gets sold, the new owner will not keep AT&T around at all.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,626 ·
I decided to give D*Stream a chance to retain me. So I did a chat with no luck. I suggested a few months of a discount but that was no joy either.
CSR told me that Stream was not offering unlimited free DVR. I corrected him. Then went to the site and started through the sign up process and sure enough, new customers get it free.
So I ended up with no change and a little ticked off.

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
I decided to give D*Stream a chance to retain me. So I did a chat with no luck. I suggested a few months of a discount but that was no joy either.
CSR told me that Stream was not offering unlimited free DVR. I corrected him. Then went to the site and started through the sign up process and sure enough, new customers get it free.
So I ended up with no change and a little ticked off.
I chatted to quit. I was given $45 off a month for 12 months to stay. THAT price was with it, regarless of DVR. But yeah, with AT&T prices, Unlimited DVR should be standard.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,629 ·
I chatted to quit. I was given $45 off a month for 12 months to stay. THAT price was with it, regarless of DVR. But yeah, with AT&T prices, Unlimited DVR should be standard.
Since I didn’t get squat from them, I cancelled. Gave some thought to signing up as new subscriber but decided to cut my Streaming cost down by $50/month instead.
I’ll suffer with YTTV instead.

Reactions: harsh and gio12

·
Hall Of Fame
4,994 Posts
@compnurd Still waiting on that screenshot showing you are getting free unlimited DVR as an existing customer. U claim it on here and also on reddit even though not 1 other existing customer on the forums is getting it. Mmm. Hmm.
Don’t you have a fedex driver to be scared of

some of us have jobs and have to leave the house. Don’t have time to babysit the internet to send you screenshots of my account

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,633 ·
here since you have nothing better to do
View attachment 32030
Glad you got that, wish I could have. :(

While YTTV gives a big channel supply, it just is not as good a service. The lack of RSNs isn’t an issue for me as I’ve never actually watched them. PQ on YTTV is fine, but not quite as good as Stream’s, and of course it is missing DD5.1 because of Google’s incompetence, not to mention how much the UI sucks.

I’d rather have Stream, but Ultimate is the lowest level that has the Golf channel, if it wasn’t for that I could live with Entertainment. I’m still tossing around signing up as a new customer to get at least some break on pricing.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Welp, another Olympics coming up and still no 4K on DTV Stream. Heck, this time even DTV satellite won't have any live 4K from the Olympics. Looks like they'll only be offering 4K replays 24 hours later.

YouTube TV will again offer the entirety of NBC's live 4K coverage. (That coverage will definitely be in 4K HDR on Comcast. I think it's 4K HDR, and not just 4K, on YTTV too, but I'm not 100% sure on that.)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I asked a rep from the Office of the President yesterday if there were any plans to have 4K content on DirecTV Stream yesterday and she said "Great question" and I got a firm "I don't know" from her. :D
Interesting. Just weird to me that 4K is still MIA. Maybe getting PBS added is all the additional effort they can expend for now, ha. Or maybe TPG has them in a holding pattern, not wanting to spend any additional money on operations (bandwidth), while they try to negotiate a merger deal with DISH.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,637 ·
Glad you got that, wish I could have. :(

While YTTV gives a big channel supply, it just is not as good a service. The lack of RSNs isn’t an issue for me as I’ve never actually watched them. PQ on YTTV is fine, but not quite as good as Stream’s, and of course it is missing DD5.1 because of Google’s incompetence, not to mention how much the UI sucks.

I’d rather have Stream, but Ultimate is the lowest level that has the Golf channel, if it wasn’t for that I could live with Entertainment. I’m still tossing around signing up as a new customer to get at least some break on pricing.
Well after using YTTV for a little while, i still find that it just isn’t what I want. So I bit the bullet and signed up as a new subscriber @Ultimate. DirecTV Stream is just a better service and Ultimate has all the channels I care about and a few that have no value to me. Missing NFL but I’m just a casual sports fan and can get all the professional football with other channels, so no actual loss.

Reactions: compnurd

·
Hall Of Fame
4,994 Posts
Well after using YTTV for a little while, i still find that it just isn’t what I want. So I bit the bullet and signed up as a new subscriber @Ultimate. DirecTV Stream is just a better service and Ultimate has all the channels I care about and a few that have no value to me. Missing NFL but I’m just a casual sports fan and can get all the professional football with other channels, so no actual loss.
I love it lol

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,639 ·
I love it lol
Glad I could brighten your day. :)

From the standpoint of quality of service, Stream just wins hands down, IMO. But it is a bit overpriced, much of that caused by the inclusion of RSNs and Starz Encore being included, neither of which have value to me. Outside of those two services, Ultimate is essentially the same channel mix as YTTV with some relatively minor channel differences. Where YTTV falls down is lack of DD5.1 and their horrible DVR UI. PQ difference is slightly in Stream’s favor, but I’m nearly 80 and to my eyes it is very slight.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Glad I could brighten your day. :)

From the standpoint of quality of service, Stream just wins hands down, IMO. But it is a bit overpriced, much of that caused by the inclusion of RSNs and Starz Encore being included, neither of which have value to me. Outside of those two services, Ultimate is essentially the same channel mix as YTTV with some relatively minor channel differences. Where YTTV falls down is lack of DD5.1 and their horrible DVR UI. PQ difference is slightly in Stream’s favor, but I’m nearly 80 and to my eyes it is very slight.
Your hearing must still be pretty good, though. I'm much younger than you and honestly couldn't tell you whether a TV show I'm watching uses real DD5.1 audio versus the fake surround sound I get from my Yamaha receiver via Dolby Pro Logic II from a stereo audio stream. (And yes, I have a 5+1 speaker set up, with rear speakers down-firing from the ceiling behind the seating area.)

2621 - 2640 of 2736 Posts