DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night a local satellite dealer showed up at my door trying to sell me a Dish system. I told him I already subscribed but he still wanted to offer me a new system.

He had a chart with different options such as the 1-2-3 plan and the digital home plan. I asked him how he was going to get around the fact that I was already a subscriber. He said that my wife would use her credit card number and a cell phone number. I then asked him how he was going to deal with the home address issue (Dish verifies new customers by their home address). He said all we would need to do is just add 1/2 to the address (making it look like a duplex or an add-on house).

I told him to get lost but this whole thing seems like shady business practices. He also didn't even know what a Dishplayer was.

Hey Dish, if you are reading this, you might want to contact I-Satellite in San Antonio, TX about how they are drumming up business at your expense.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Guys like this should be run out of business. I wish I could find a place to have you e-mail at Dish, but I couldn't find any appropriate e-mail addresses on the dealer site.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
I agree with you Chris, its idiots like this that makes everyone at Dish Network look bad.

There are many good (very good) dealers out there, then there are the handfull of idiot dealers who make everyone else look bad.

Support your dealers and they will support you.

·
Godfather/Supporter
342 Posts
How does this guy really expect you to trust him if he is basically telling you that he is lying to Dish?

·
Icon
955 Posts
Chris,

I have emailed your post to the responsible parties at E* for disciplining & eliminating such retailers.

If anyone else posts experiences with dealers who engage in this or similar practices I will do the same.

This is not an invitation for everyone to email me w/anecdotal complaints about whomever they might have purchased their system from.

Caveat emptor.

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks HTguy. If Dish needs any more information, they can contact me. I even have a phone number for this "retailer".

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Talk about ethics or lack thereof

·
Hall Of Fame
3,434 Posts
Well think about it. The first retailers were probably people who loved the tech and felt it was a good business to get into (or were in related BUD sales as well). They you had another round of people who realized that there was money to be made (honestly) and then you get the next round of people who realize there is Dishonest money to be made. Happens in most industries where you have small ownership potential.

Only way to keep it under control is the "Franchising" or some "Business Partner" agreement that requires approval from the original vendor. Some companies will sell their "Certification" to anyone who is willing to pay the "Business Partner" fee and buys enough materials from the original vendor. Others realize that one bad Business partner affects the entire org, so they make the BPs jump thru hoops to prove they deserve the "Certification"

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
I emailed Dish a link to this thread and suggested they add an email address of: [email protected] for reporting people like this.

PLEASE DON'T USE THE ABOVE EMAIL ADDRESS, IT IS NOT REAL, ONLY A SUGGESTED ADDRESS!!!

G

·
There is an agressive E* dealer here who bought time on the #1 news-sports talk station here in Cleveland. The radio spots used to refer to a "TIVO" unit. I cringed, and wondered how long it would be until the lawyers gave these bozos a call. Well now they call it a "Replayer" (er, should Replay Tv send thier lawyers next)?

It's a PVR! Call it by it's generic name. Thier ads used to give an inflated number of "Nickelodeon channels" (let's see, there is East, West & GAS, That's 3, not 6!) They stopped mentioning that as well. They still mention that weather does not affect the reception.

Gime a break!

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
It makes me wonder what the current ad rates are. It sounds like the dealers are being a bit sloppy in writing ad copy.

As for the six nick count....
Nick-East
Nick-West
Nick GAS
Nick at Night-East
Nick at Night-West
Nick at Night's TV Land.

Oh yeah, I have swamp land for sale....

·
Legend
172 Posts
As far as Nick Channels - what about Noggin / The-N.com? That would be another one or "two" depending on the way you look at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.