DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having an issue where I am getting random audio drops on the local HD channels. Live in Chicago and have 0XFA firmware. No pattern to the drop outs and it's only on the locals and for a short time period and I do not lose video during the audio drop. Perfect example is yesterday morning Channel 9 News was reply the Obama intro to MNF and it dropped the audio when he said he "was announcing" but his mouth continued moving just no sound. No problems on the HD package channels or the NFL Superfan HD feeds.

I have the HR20 connected to my Vizio 46 LCD via HDMI. Don't have any desire to change over to component cables, so I won't be playing the cable shuffle. Also, If I watch the same feed over my basic cable feed (have cable internet and the Vizio has a QAM tuner so I can get local HD feeds that way too) never has this issue.

I am going to attempt to remove the B-Band filters and see if it changes anything. As far as I can tell my signals are good (97+ strength) and there really isn't a way for me to check signal when it happens since it's very random and only lasts for 2-5 seconds and happens once or twice in a 30-60 minute period.

Any ideas?

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
ttiger72 said:
Having an issue where I am getting random audio drops on the local HD channels. Live in Chicago and have 0XFA firmware. No pattern to the drop outs and it's only on the locals and for a short time period and I do not lose video during the audio drop. Perfect example is yesterday morning Channel 9 News was reply the Obama intro to MNF and it dropped the audio when he said he "was announcing" but his mouth continued moving just no sound. No problems on the HD package channels or the NFL Superfan HD feeds.

I have the HR20 connected to my Vizio 46 LCD via HDMI. Don't have any desire to change over to component cables, so I won't be playing the cable shuffle. Also, If I watch the same feed over my basic cable feed (have cable internet and the Vizio has a QAM tuner so I can get local HD feeds that way too) never has this issue.

I am going to attempt to remove the B-Band filters and see if it changes anything. As far as I can tell my signals are good (97+ strength) and there really isn't a way for me to check signal when it happens since it's very random and only lasts for 2-5 seconds and happens once or twice in a 30-60 minute period.

Any ideas?
I also have the same issues. I get an audio drop only on the HD Chicago local channels also. I also receive a 2-5 second loss in audio. I though it was only me experiencing these issues. I am so glad to here that I am not the only one.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Others have reported this issue. I have experienced it in Houston with 2 different HR20s with 2 different AT9s. Analog audio is lost at the same time, not just HDMI, but only on HD locals. Some previous speculation that it is multiswitch/temperature related but I don't recall any definitive conclusion. However, same problem with 2 different units with 2 different dishes suggests it is either HR20 issue or problem with local feed to D issue.

·
AllStar
51 Posts
Mine is a little different than that.

What I get is if I have Dolby enabled on my HR20 and I watch a program in 5.1 (on a local MPEG4, biggest culprit is NBC channel) when they go to commercial the sound goes to just my left front speaker and the audio sounds like its coming from a cave. When the main program comes back, normal audio returns.

It really sucks. I've disabled Dolby Digital in my HR20 because its so annoying.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kpkingdon said:
Others have reported this issue. I have experienced it in Houston with 2 different HR20s with 2 different AT9s. Analog audio is lost at the same time, not just HDMI, but only on HD locals. Some previous speculation that it is multiswitch/temperature related but I don't recall any definitive conclusion. However, same problem with 2 different units with 2 different dishes suggests it is either HR20 issue or problem with local feed to D issue.
I would have to agree that it's a local feed to DTV issue, or at least points in that direction. My internal temp on the HR20 has not exceeded 124, and my WB68 is not even warm to the touch.

·
Icon
770 Posts
I've been too busy to be here for the last 10 days or so, but I've been having increasing audio problems with 0xFA for the last two weeks, always with local channels. It started with a slight lip sync problem which has gotten worse. With one program I watched, the lip sync was so bad that it was like watching a dubbed martial arts flick where there was absolutely correlation between the sound and the actor's lips.

Another symptom is audio dropouts that cause a bizarre sound first, then silence, and the the sound returns. Shorter than the HR10 audio dropout, but more annoying because of the weird sound glitch.

I didn't get 104 and haven't yet gotten 108, so I hope that there is a fix for this in 108.

·
Legend
228 Posts
Yep - me too. Have two H20s and the issue occurs on both. I'm not 100% that it is strictly limited to HD channels, but I'll take your collective word. It does seem to happen on more that one channel, so I'm a bit skeptical about multiple stations having the same issue.....

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
qlanus said:
Yep - me too. Have two H20s and the issue occurs on both. I'm not 100% that it is strictly limited to HD channels, but I'll take your collective word. It does seem to happen on more that one channel, so I'm a bit skeptical about multiple stations having the same issue.....
I am in EGV too BTW. I think it's either the way the DTV is processing the Chicago Local feeds or an issue with MPEG4.

·
Godfather
357 Posts
I have the audio drop outs in this area too. I also have been having a problem when I record the locals that the first couple minutes are blank and the sound is also messed up. I did a push button reset last night hopefully that will fix the recording issue. I'm not sure where the audio problems lie. Is it just a bad feed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.