DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know how to search for this type of problem let alone describe it clearly, but I've noticed the MP4 locals have a gurgling effect in the audio. I did a normal reset, does anybody think a red button reset would help?

·
Banned
614 Posts
EMoMoney said:
I didn't know how to search for this type of problem let alone describe it clearly, but I've noticed the MP4 locals have a gurgling effect in the audio. I did a normal reset, does anybody think a red button reset would help?
Yeah the hiccups have been a problem on different mpg4 networks in all markets. DirecTV is working on it.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
EMoMoney said:
Also, just my theory.....turn Native OFF and set TV to 720P or 1080i mode and see if this helps ? It seemed to reduce greatly for me....course I could be going crazy. My guess is if the HR20 controls the upscaling instead of passthrough it may have a better chance to decode/sync audio with video......just a guess though.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thekochs said:
Also, just my theory.....turn Native OFF and set TV to 720P or 1080i mode and see if this helps ? It seemed to reduce greatly for me....course I could be going crazy. My guess is if the HR20 controls the upscaling instead of passthrough it may have a better chance to decode/sync audio with video......just a guess though.
I already have native off and I don't have 780p. I have it set to 1080i. Just out of curiosity, why would changing the video resolution improve audio quality?

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cybrsurfer said:
Yeah the hiccups have been a problem on different mpg4 networks in all markets. DirecTV is working on it.
I wouldn't describe it is a hicup effect but rather it sounds like when you talk into a fan, jittery. Last night's baseball game was very bad. I don't notice this on the NBC and some on CBS (along with jittery video about every 30 seconds.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
EMoMoney said:
I already have native off and I don't have 780p. I have it set to 1080i. Just out of curiosity, why would changing the video resolution improve audio quality?
I'm not saying changing the resolution from 1080i to 720p would do anything on its own. My comment was turning NATIVE OFF and then selecting either 1080i or 720P mode you wish may....and I mean may....have some effect. My crackpot theory is if the HR20 is controlling the resolution generation/scaling to the screen it may also at the same time sync the audio. If it is in passthrough mode (NATIVE ON) then perhaps there is more room for sync and/or audio corruption errors. Think about it....the channels in HD are filming in 1080i or 720P MPEG2 then they go thru encoders to transcode/transrate to MPEG-4......all the time trying to keep audio in check, in step and not corrupted. If there is some pixels on the screen dropped you less likley to noitce than a obvious lip sync problem or audio glitch/noise.

Again....this is just my theory on what might help....no one from D* or Earl has said this....in fact there has been little/no acknowledgement officially I can find on audio having problems. Sure are a heck of alot of threads on the subject though.

·
Legend
183 Posts
Does the gurgling happen on programs broadcasting in DD5.1? It sounds like too much audio compression, kinda like a heavily compressed MP3s or low bit rate streaming audio from the net.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rob55 said:
Does the gurgling happen on programs broadcasting in DD5.1? It sounds like too much audio compression, kinda like a heavily compressed MP3s or low bit rate streaming audio from the net.
I'll make note of it this week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.