DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have posted this on the 211 receiver forum, but I wanted to check and make sure it's not a receiver issue first, but rather a transmission issue.

For reference, I have the bronze, ~22 Ch HD package w/VOOM & Locals HD with the 211 receiver.

All HD signals come in approximately 9 decibels lower than all the SD and off air signals.

Can anyone confirm this? Thx

I measured with a audio decibel meter. As I recall, on my older 811 receiver, I noticed a little difference, but not this much. It makes it disquieting (pun intended) when one changes from an HD channel (turned up to a decent listening level) to an SD channel, only get blown back into the couch from the loud volume difference. During channel surfing it's wearing out my remote's volume control rather rapidly. :)
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
190 Posts
My 622 is very much the same. I don't know if the connection makes a difference but I've got mine hooked up with the optical output. I thought it may be that the HD channels cause my stereo receiver to switch to the muti-channel decode mode.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jimborst said:
My 622 is very much the same. I don't know if the connection makes a difference but I've got mine hooked up with the optical output. I thought it may be that the HD channels cause my stereo receiver to switch to the muti-channel decode mode.
Hmm... good point. I'm using optical too, but was using it on the 811 as well, but the extreme variance in levels was much less apparent. My receiver is a Sony 5.1 Dolby surround unit and I often leave it hard set to 5.1 rather than automatic, because in automatic mode, when it receives a simple stereo PCM signal, the rear speakers are turned off. At least when in Dolby5.1 I get some sound from the rears.

I'll try some different settings and connections to check consistency, but 99% of the time when I blame my setup or settings... it turns out I'm not to blame... heh.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
190 Posts
Spirit said:
Hmm... good point. I'm using optical too, but was using it on the 811 as well, but the extreme variance in levels was much less apparent. My receiver is a Sony 5.1 Dolby surround unit and I often leave it hard set to 5.1 rather than automatic, because in automatic mode, when it receives a simple stereo PCM signal, the rear speakers are turned off. At least when in Dolby5.1 I get some sound from the rears.

I'll try some different settings and connections to check consistency, but 99% of the time when I blame my setup or settings... it turns out I'm not to blame... heh.
My receiver is also a Sony, could it be the way they decode Dolby?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
625 Posts
I remember reading somewhere in the past month (on the DBS site) that the "standard" audio level for transmitting Dolby is quite a bit less than standard stero. We have always noticed on our 622 when you go from a Dolby show to a non Dolby commerical a LARGE increase in the sound level.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Spirit said:
I would have posted this on the 211 receiver forum, but I wanted to check and make sure it's not a receiver issue first, but rather a transmission issue.

For reference, I have the bronze, ~22 Ch HD package w/VOOM & Locals HD with the 211 receiver.

All HD signals come in approximately 9 decibels lower than all the SD and off air signals.

Can anyone confirm this? Thx

I measured with a audio decibel meter. As I recall, on my older 811 receiver, I noticed a little difference, but not this much. It makes it disquieting (pun intended) when one changes from an HD channel (turned up to a decent listening level) to an SD channel, only get blown back into the couch from the loud volume difference. During channel surfing it's wearing out my remote's volume control rather rapidly. :)
The official standard says they should be 6db lower. Its too allow for a larger dynamic range with Dolby Digital.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
221 Posts
tnsprin said:
The official standard says they should be 6db lower. Its too allow for a larger dynamic range with Dolby Digital.
Also the 2 channel MPEG audio is much more compressed and has far less dynamic range than DD. This moves all the quite sounds to a higher level making the over all sound level sound even louder (this same process is used for commercials). Even if the peak sound levels were exactly matched DD would still sound lower because of its increased dynamic range or MPEG.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top