Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious “Feature”

I switch off my Sharp LCD TV connected via HDMI and the audio connected to my amplifier via optical, mutes. ( I am not using any audio in the TV)

I switch the TV back on and it un-mutes (always with a slight stutter as the audio come back).

Some how the HDMI link is telling the audio optical output to shut off.

On balance this is OK but I could come up with a use-case with satellite radio where I switch the TV monitor off thus silencing the audio.

Is this a bug or a feature?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
carrot said:
Some how the HDMI link is telling the audio optical output to shut off.
This is a feature of HDCP. There must be a device connected to the HDMI connector that swears that it is incapable of copying the content. Without the device (TV) out there, the system will shut off picture and sound.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
harsh said:
This is a feature of HDCP. There must be a device connected to the HDMI connector that swears that it is incapable of copying the content. Without the device (TV) out there, the system will shut off picture and sound.
Just another wonderful "feature" brought to you by paranoid content-providers afraid of college kids ripping crappy shows onto DVDs to pass out to friends. :rolleyes:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
harsh said:
Really? I thought there were people using the various audio and video outputs without HDMI (due to incompatibilities with their devices). In fact, aren't there even people using this box instead of the R15 (in a non-HD environment) just because it's better than the R15?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.