DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sound quality on certain of my local DISH satellite HD channels has gotten very poor starting a couple of days ago (11/28, 11/29). It is as if there is now an ‘echo’, or as if the people speaking are far away from their microphones. Details:

DISH ViP622, L3.65, DISH Silver package
using component video cables & RCA sound (not HDMI)
Problem is on three of the four Houston locals:
6389 KTRK (ABC)
6390 KHOU (CBS)
6391 KPRC (NBC)
Problem not heard on 6392 KRIV (FOX)
Problem not heard on the NTSC (SD) versions of the three channels; 8370, 8371, 8372.
Problem occurs on both TV1 and TV2; I use the TV’s speakers for sound; no external speakers.
All of these channels are on Satellite 110 TP 4s16, including the three with problems and the one with no problem.
I have checked numerous other channels (both HD and SD) and no others have this problem.
Power off reset does not cure the problem.
I have emailed DISH, but no response yet.

Thanks
p.s. This is same post I made on Satellite Guys, but still looking for help. Two people from the Dallas area replied that they hear an audio 'warbling' on these channels.

·
2 Posts
I am having the exact same problem. I have the same equipment.
I have Dishnetwork sending me a new Vip 622 because they don't have a clue on how to fix it. So I will see if the new box helps. I thought it was because I live so far North of Houston on the fringe of the spotbeam but I get 95-97 on my signal strength.

·
AllStar
94 Posts
I emailed dishquality about this and got the following response on Friday:

Thank you for your information! We have received quite a few complaints from this area. We gathered up the emails and forwarded them on to the engineering team. They are currently running tests on this stream to find out what is causing this issue. Thanks again for you information and for being a valued customer. We appreciate the help.

EchoStar Satellite LLC

Quality Assurance Department

[email protected]

·
Hall Of Fame
3,099 Posts
I watched Nbc KPRC last night for Saturday Night Live and I noticed that there were no audio warbeling. THis one channel had been sounding like gargeling for weeks now. I hope this means they found a way to fix the audio problems.

·
AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This evening I listened to each of the three local Houston channels that had been having the warbling/echo problem. All three of them sounded fine during the evening news broadcasts. Hopefully this means the problem has been addressed and resolved. I think it clearly was not my ViP622 at fault, as it is the same unit I have had all along. It is good to have a forum like this to marshall together a common effort to proactively go after such problems. Thanks to all!

·
Hall Of Fame
3,099 Posts
Yes it looks like they fixed the audio problems but replaced them with the green screen pixelation macro blocking we all have learned to love with mpeg 4, at least on ABC. The video had improved for about 2 weeks then the sound went sour. I guess it is the mpeg 4 encoders and the way they are compressing it . Hopefully with time they will improve with 2 nd generation mpeg 4 encoders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.