DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed the audio for their local HD channels sounding overly bright in the center channel? When I listen to multi-channel audio or DVDs the audio in my system appears fine from the center channel. However, when I am watching the HD locals the center channel appears to be bright to the point where the dialogue is hard to understand. If I lower the volume - the dialogue is not loud enough to understand. I can't seem to find a good balance between volume and intelligibility.

I don't notice the issue with HBO HD, TNT HD, etc. Also, when I had the HR10 and watched OTA locals - I had no issue.

Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
1,090 Posts
I use the HR 20 in conjuntion with a Denon AVR3806 Receiver. I have My Pioneer Elite Plasma Speakers acting as the center channel; and do not have the issue your describing at all.

It is perplexing that you don't experience the issue while watching other stations however......

Now what I do have is the audio completely drop out every 15 or so mins for a few seconds which is annoying as hell. This is a known bug and should be worked out iin the long run. The picture clairity on HD locals also flucuates greatly which is also a notated flaw...

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
I was going to suggest that it was a problem with your local station. Many of them still have issues with their audio tracks. But you say it's fine with your HR10-250. I supposed it could be an issue with that station's MPEG4 conversion since that's what you're receiving on your HR20.

·
AllStar
92 Posts
I have had similar problems with one of my local HDs. It is a problem on their end, not yours. I sometimes have to switch it to normal stereo until it clears up. I had it last weekend during the Colts game, all game. Very annoying.

Lowry

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
This is just an idea based on some issues I was having that I thought were associated to Dolby channels. Check to see if you are getting Dolby Digital vs the PCM stream. Do not trust what your HR20 is telling you about it being on or off, look at what your receiver / decoder is telling you. I had problems with what I thought were DD problems on some of my locals, what it turned out to be is even though the Hr20 said it was set to have DD on it was actually sending PCM / prologic and the PCM stream was not constructed correctly and the audio was not correct. I was experiencing center channels missing and I think the fronts were missing and the rears were coming out the fronts, this was not a consistent issue. There is a bug in the HR20 where you may have to turn Dolby Digital off to have the HR20 pass the Dolby Digital signal. I believe that the PCM stream is something that D* is creating when encoding, it is not part of the standard for ASTC, I don't think D* is constructing the PCM stream correctly all the time, so this may be why your center channel appears to be too bright. You can change the Dolby status in the setting menu. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.