DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else in the Grand Rapids area having audio problems with the HD local channels.

Last night on WZZM 13, the sound would drop out. It would only drop out long enough to miss a word or two, but it happened repeatedly. It's really annoying after awhile.

I also noticed on Fox, that the sound would make a buzzing sound every now and then.

I never had any issues like this with OTA signals.

I am hooked up via component, and only seem to have this problem on the local channels.

·
Godfather
313 Posts
I don't think this issue is localized to GR. I have the same problems with Chicago locals. Not sure why tho and, like you, only on MPEG4 locals and not all the time. Kinda annoying and it really upsets the wife.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
I'll be honest that I haven't noticed it but shows are pretty much in repeats right now. I'll tell you though the best way to get attention to the problem (other then post here) is to contact the station engineers/station manager about the audio problem and let them know it's only on the MPEG4 version on DirecTV.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
As of right now the most annoying problem that I am having with the HR20 is the audio dropouts. I am using HDMI directly from the receiver to my Samsung TV. The audio dropouts occur not on just one but all of the local MPEG4 stations. That makes me wonder if that means that the problem is with the HR20 and not the stations. It happens on both live and recorded programs.

·
9,882 Posts
Pakratt said:
As of right now the most annoying problem that I am having with the HR20 is the audio dropouts. I am using HDMI directly from the receiver to my Samsung TV. The audio dropouts occur not on just one but all of the local MPEG4 stations. That makes me wonder if that means that the problem is with the HR20 and not the stations. It happens on both live and recorded programs.
Try component instead of HDMI. HDMI is known to have problems with a few TV's. If it goes away then post your TV model and info in the stickied HDMI thread above so they can work to solve it.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
I have tried component and it does the same thing. I realize that HDMI does, in some instances, cause problems but I was thinking that because various postings from locations across the country using HDMI, component, and various TV's still have the audio dropout problem that maybe it is a Direct TV problem. I did check with Samsung to see if my particular TV has had any firmware updates and the answer was no.

·
Legend
211 Posts
I am experiencing some of these issues but my main audio issue is when CBS (channel 3) broadcasts in HD and in dolby digital. The dolby digital cuts in and out. The only solution is to switch the DD in the HR20 audio options to off. I have contacted Directv and they contend it is a broadcast issue with CBS they are trying to work out. Any one else having this exact issue?

·
9,882 Posts
tadam said:
I am experiencing some of these issues but my main audio issue is when CBS (channel 3) broadcasts in HD and in dolby digital. The dolby digital cuts in and out. The only solution is to switch the DD in the HR20 audio options to off. I have contacted Directv and they contend it is a broadcast issue with CBS they are trying to work out. Any one else having this exact issue?
Channel 3 often does this OTA. Constant video and audio drop outs. Very common and annoying. My experience so far with the MPEG4 version is that it's a lot better then OTA. Instead of an actual video drop out on MPEG4 it seems to "smear" a bit but at least it doesn't drop out.

I haven't noticed this issue of DD cutting in and out on the MPEG4 version though. I'll keep an eye out for it.

·
9,882 Posts
tadam said:
This is straight from the satellite feed, not the OTA, where I am experiencing the DD cutout. Any one else?
I understand. What I was saying is that it also happens quite often OTA with channel 3. Thus whatever bad things happen OTA will happen also over the sat. Garbage in/garbage out.

·
AllStar
83 Posts
I had problems with audio cut outs on WGBA-26 Green Bay while watching Las Vegas last night. I switched the resolution from 720 to 1080 and it stopped.

·
9,882 Posts
tadam said:
So do you think this will be fixed with the next software update?
I still don't think you understand. There is nothing DirecTV can do to fix this on channel 3. It's a problem already OTA with WWMT and has been for half a decade. On my old E-86 receiver there are audio (and video) dropouts on WWMT all the time. If you'd go to the AVS locals thread for Grand Rapids you'll see tons of posts dating back 5 years complaining about WWMT. They suck. Period. DirecTV can't make them not suck. :hurah:

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
tadam said:
So when Directv is telling me that it is a broadcast issue from channell 3, is true? They also said they are working with them to resolve.
Yes...what you seem to be missing is D* gets their stream for their MPEG-4/HD-Locals by receiving the OTA broadcast locally (just like you would if you have OTA-HD) and then transcoding it from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 for the satellite.

If the OTA signal has a defect, that defect WILL be on D*'s MPEG-4 feed to you via satellite. They can't change it. Now...they can work with your local station (put pressure on them or perhaps consult) to get THEM to fix THEIR problem, but that's all they can do.

·
9,882 Posts
You got it. Contact the WWMT engineering department and tell them the problem you have and perhaps they can fix it. But then they haven't for the past 5 years so I wouldn't hold out much hope. Problem is they bitstarve their HD channel by also have 2 SD sub-channels. The HD channel barely gets enough bitrate to be HD. Also being digital channel 2 is about as bad as it gets. Hopefully they'll get a higher channel by the 2009 cutoff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.