DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even a week into using the HR20, and the only real issue I've had with it thus far is an audio sync problem. I have a 60" Sony TV connected via HDMI and my optical audio cable goes into my Sony stereo receiver. Call that "setup A." Then I tried using component cables - setup B. Finally, under setup C, I connected the digital optical audio out on the TV to the stereo receiver (and unplugged it from the HR20).

Under every setup, the audio is late. I see a gun fire, then hear the noise. Or I watch someone start talking and the audio comes about 1/5 of a second later. Though it's not as annoying as the audio being early would be, it's still annoying.

The audio is synchronized properly on SD programming (non-DD 5.1). It's synchronized on DD5.1/THX DVDs (also using optical audio cables, or via HDMI under all the permutations set up for the TV above).

This happens on both live TV and played-back programs.

I've heard of the audio being early because some TVs take a little while to process the signals, but this is the opposite: late audio.

My initial thought was that perhaps my receiver (a Sony SDR-DE945) was old and was having trouble processing the audio signals quickly, but that's silly - it's always worked fine with DVD players, my PS2, my old DirecTV/TiVo receiver/recorder (albeit on SD channels), and other optical audio sources timed to a picture.

This problem occurs both on my local channels as well as ESPN, Discovery, and some of the other channels, though it seems a little worse on my locals.

·
1 Posts
Just for the record I have noticed severe sync problems with my HR-20 (my second unit in 4 weeks BTW). Just checking this forum to see if I was alone. Just did a master reset Friday, but just noticed it on the HD channels today, Sunday.

:confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.