DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Tivo interface, when you hit 'Play' after fast-forwarding (at 2x or 3x), it will automatically jump back a few seconds (so, if you hit play after you see the commercials end, you won't miss any of the show).
The HR20 does not appear to do that. Is there a setting to enable it? It might seem like a small thing, but it's the feature I miss the most after migrating (well, if you don't consider stability a feature).
Thanks.

·
Legend
116 Posts
My Microsoft UltimateTV receiver had it too. There aren't any settings to enable it on the HR20 though. I'm starting to get used to living without it, but it really was nice.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
It is a TiVo Patent..
The closest you can get to it, is to hit the Jump Back button, to exit the FF

·
Legend
183 Posts
jpepping said:
If that works, it is not too bad. Hit the JB instead of play. Seems ok 2 me, and I really like what the Tivo does.

Jim
It usually requires 1-3 pushes of the jump-back button after a 2x FFwd to get it to the right spot for me. My wife and I have it pretty much down pat.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Rob55 said:
It usually requires 1-3 pushes of the jump-back button after a 2x FFwd to get it to the right spot for me. My wife and I have it pretty much down pat.
Same here. I'm pretty good with hitting play and I hit it about spot on most of the time, perhaps a jump back once or twice. On Tivo I always found myself waiting a bit before hitting play so that the autocorrection wouldn't go back too much.

Either way it's one we've both learned to use quickly. No biggy.

·
Legend
159 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Same here. I'm pretty good with hitting play and I hit it about spot on most of the time, perhaps a jump back once or twice. On Tivo I always found myself waiting a bit before hitting play so that the autocorrection wouldn't go back too much.

Either way it's one we've both learned to use quickly. No biggy.
Agreed - I was a bit annoyed with the no jump back at first, as I had trained the part of my brain that does video games to hit the button at the exact right time to have the jump back be at the beginning of my show after commercials.

But, it only took about two weeks of HR20 re-education camp to get it down using the jump back button. And in fact, I'd say that I prefer the new way better - particularly when replaying a play from a sporting event where the Tivo jumpback thing would be a hindrance.

·
AllStar
63 Posts
Even on my Tivo I don't like the automatic jump back. Instead of fast forwarding I just use the 30 sec skip feature until the show is back on and then Jump back to the beginning. Once you get good at it commericals only take about 2 seconds.

·
AllStar
56 Posts
My wife and I (and our kids) love the Tivo jump back feature, we've never used the 30 second skip. I'm getting my HR20 next Monday, hopefully the jump back button on the HR20 will do the job.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
sequoiadean said:
My wife and I (and our kids) love the Tivo jump back feature, we've never used the 30 second skip. I'm getting my HR20 next Monday, hopefully the jump back button on the HR20 will do the job.
Just like it takes a while to get use to TiVo's AutoCorrect, it will take you a while to get use to the way the HR20 does it.

After a while... You'll get the hang of it.

·
Legend
181 Posts
I gave up on Tivo's unofficial 30 sec skip because of having to reprogram it every time it rebooted. So I just FFWD'd through commercials allowing it to go into the show before hitting play to avoid going back too far. On the HR20 I was using the FFWD 3x then hiting the 6 sec back twice to start playing again. That got it right most of the time. Now since 00xDC I can't FFWD at all - it just freezes on a frame and I have to hit Play to get it going again.

I went into HR20 ownership, or leasership, with both eyes open. I expected problems, and probably would have been disappointed if there weren't any :) . I've been impress as to how few real issues I've had, this new one is somewhat nasty but I expect D* will fix it within a week or so. Software QA and collating customer feedback/suggestions is part of my job, so I know what to expect from V1.0 of a product.

I would advise anyone thinking of obtaining an HR20, or any newly released product whether electronics or a car, not to assume it will be fully-functioning from day 1. Just how good the company is at responding to discovered bugs and suggested improvements is a good barometer as to their quality. D* on the most part seem to be on the ball.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Andrew_J_M said:
Now since 00xDC I can't FFWD at all - it just freezes on a frame and I have to hit Play to get it going again.
Is this happening EVERY time, or just some recordings.
(Note: it is a known issue and they are very much aware of it)

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
I admit that I don't miss the jump back feature either. My initial entry into the DVR market was with Dish Network and they don't have that feature. When I moved to Tivo, I didn't like it at first but it grew on me.

It's actually nice now to go back to the old way of doing things. I have always thought that the jump back feature is unpredictable. On the HR20, when you stop scanning at least you know where you are in the program.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
EidolonGG said:
Earl I don't believe this is correct. Charter cable's Moxi HD DVR box has the same feature. It's not just a patent issue I believe.
Either they licensed it from Tivo or Tivo hasn't gotten around to suing them yet. Perhaps when they are done with Dish...

Back on topic: I honestly thought the autocorrect would be the biggest thing I'd miss on the HR20 but I've quickly gotten used to not having it to the point I now get annoyed with it on the Tivo when I use it. Just gotta retrain the brain and you'll be fine.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts

·
Cool Member
17 Posts

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Sir, I not only stand humbly correct, but fully admit that I just got served.

EDIT: While I believe this covers it, what if your auto-correction just had a hard coded number. Would that still violate this patent. So it always goes back 3 sec when you stop fast-forwarding at x4. The patent seems to talk more about learning and updating that auto-correct number. Do you think that's possibly how Moxi got around it.

·
Godfather
395 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Just like it takes a while to get use to TiVo's AutoCorrect, it will take you a while to get use to the way the HR20 does it.

After a while... You'll get the hang of it.
I still can't get used to it with a MP4 recording at 3x FF. I hit jump back before I even see the show, but right when I see the news 3 second trailer or something like that. Never fails to dump me 30seconds or so into the actual show..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.