DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Automatic Recording of NFL Games is Broken

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  bonscott87 
pmauro said:
This problem is driving me nuts.

I set up the "Patriots" keyword so it would record the game every week. Today my box recorded a blank screen on channel 711 becuase according to tech support the game was blacked out.

Tech support said that the patriots was broadcast nationally on CBS but the LA Times and tvguide.com said that it wasn't.

I don't know who to beleive and I certainly don't trust my HR20.
If I read your note correctly, you are in the LA market, and subscribe to Sunday Ticket. You expected to get the Patriots game on ch 711, and instead got a black screen. Correct?

Assuming the above is correct, you do have a legitimate gripe, which is probably why you were issued the $60 credit. This isn't a dvr issue, it's a blackout issue, and the Pats' game should not have been blacked out in LA over ST.

pmauro said:
Say it was airing below channel 100. Why isn't the DVR software smart enough to record games that are acutally AIRING!?

I don't even know what to do besides babysit this next saturday to confirm. At least they gave me a $60 credit.
Again, assuming that I correctly read your situation above, the game was not available on the lower channels, only on 711. So the dvr would not have picked it up there. However, if a future game IS broadcast on a local channel, any dvr should indeed be able to select the local channel rather than the ST channel, although it doesn't hurt to double check your todo list just to make sure. Again, that's not a blackout issue. It's a matter of the guide data accurately reflecting which game is on which channel.

bonscott87 said:
True, it's not a DVR issue.

But you are incorrect on the blackout. ANY game on a local station is blacked out on Sunday Ticket. Period. So if the Pats are on your local CBS station, no matter where you are in the country, CBS wants to make you watch your local CBS station and thus impose a blackout on Sunday Ticket. Been this way about 3 years now. So yes, if the Pats were on his local LA station then definately it would be blacked out on ST. It becomes more tricky if the local station decides to change the game they carry locally at the last minute. Thus why a DVR can't keep up with it.
The OP said that the game in question was NOT on his local channel. It therefore should have been available to him on ST. So, what are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.