DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my D* DVR a few days ago and managed to program my stereoto be used for the volume, depite the misleading instructions in the manual.

My question is: can I set the remote in some manner to where the TV Power button powers up the stereo as well as the TV and DVR, and the off button turns off the stereowith the other devices?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,510 Posts
The extremely short answer is: "yes" (but it depends on upon your TV). Look in your owner's manual on how to program the remote. The Power on for me powers both on (TV and DVR). The power off just does the DVR. Pressing the Power on powers off the TV. I just remember to hit Power on then power off when i want to shut down.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
It may not be possible.

Some TV's codes in the remote do not allow that functionality.
If you have volume working... and TV On/Off working in the TV Mode of the remote...

And the PWR button doesn't toggle the power the way you want it to... then it probably won't be possible.

1 of my TV's work fine.
The other two don't

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
hoosier45678 said:
I just got my D* DVR a few days ago and managed to program my receiver to be used for the volume, depite the misleading instructions in the manual.

My question is: can I set the remote in some manner to where the TV Power button powers up the receiver as well as the TV and DVR, and the off button turns off the receiver with the other devices?
What do you mean by the receiver being used to control the volume? Do you mean that, when in DVR mode, your remote will also control the volume on your TV? If that's the case, then that should happen by default when you program your remote for your TV. As for turning on/off your TV and DVR at the same time, again, when you program your remote, it should happen by default. I know some folks have issues with getting that to work right, but I never have. Both of my R15 remotes will turn on/off the TV and DVR in question at the same time. Make sure the switch is all the way to the left (you don't want it in TV mode).

As an aside, when I first got my R15 I wondered what brain surgeon put two separate buttons on the remote - one for "on" and one for "off". Then I realized the reason. Sometimes, if my remote isn't pointing in quite the right place (if I'm sitting at an odd angle), my DVR will go on but not the TV, or vice versa - the remote is hitting the sensor on one but not the other. I quickly realized that if the same button controlled ON and OFF for both TV and DVR, then I would get into an odd situation if I managed to only turn one on and not the other (as what I described above). Then I realized how important it is to have two separate buttons. If I only end up turning one on, e.g., I just hit the ON button again, and the other unit will turn on. Although this doesn't quite to seem to work right with my second TV. The ON button seems to act as an ON/OFF button for the TV. So, if the TV is ON, and I hit the ON button again, it'll actually turn the TV off...

·
Godfather
267 Posts
It sounds like he is talking about a THIRD piece of equipment, a stereo receiver that his audio is going through. If that's the case, I don't believe the remote will control more than the DVR and the TV in the combined mode.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Yep, I like separate buttons. I think all appliances and remotes should have an "on" button and an "off" button instead of a "power" button, since I always know which function I want to do at any given time. :)

·
AllStar
88 Posts
walters said:
Yep, I like separate buttons. I think all appliances and remotes should have an "on" button and an "off" button instead of a "power" button, since I always know which function I want to do at any given time. :)
Do note that some TVs have simply a power-button on the remote, BUT there are remote codes to program universal remotes to do discrete on/off. www.remotecentral.com has a discrete code section if that's what you're interested in.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sheridan1952 said:
It sounds like he is talking about a THIRD piece of equipment, a stereo receiver that his audio is going through. If that's the case, I don't believe the remote will control more than the DVR and the TV in the combined mode.
Yes. That was what I meant, not even thinking that "receiver" was ambiguous in this context. I want my stereo to come on & off with the other equipment.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,510 Posts
You might have to get a programmable (create macros, etc) universal remote (harmony etc.)

·
Godfather
267 Posts
As far as I am aware, that is beyond the remote's capability.

There are "intelligent" outlet boxes that sense when the device plugged into them powers up and it turns the power on for other equipment. Not sure that would be workable for you.

The better option would be as jwd said, a "programmable remote"

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help. I assumed it wouldn't be possible, but had my curiosity piqued by the way the off button and TV Power buttons did multiple devices.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
hoosier45678 said:
Thanks for the help. I assumed it wouldn't be possible, but had my curiosity piqued by the way the off button and TV Power buttons did multiple devices.
I thought the same thing. I wanted it to do it too. I was sad to find out it didn't do that, heck it won't even turn off on of my TV's with the (pwr on/off) so I do alot of flipping modes to turn on/off all the equipment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.