DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this has been answered countless times, but I cannot find the answer via the search engines:

1. Why are the B-Band converters needed?

2. In what cases are B-Band converters not needed?

3. What services/channels are not available if they are removed?
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
If you remove the B-band converters it will fry the Lnb's on the 5 lnb dish. You don't need them on any other dish but it's better if you just leave them on so you have it when you need it. There is no added features with them.

I'm not sure exatly what they do besides convert B-bands.:lol:
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
63 Posts
DirecTech said:
If you remove the B-band converters it will fry the Lnb's on the 5 lnb dish. You don't need them on any other dish but it's better if you just leave them on so you have it when you need it. There is no added features with them.

I'm not sure exatly what they do besides convert B-bands.:lol:
I sure hope that you thought through your choice of a name for this forum. People may be hostile toward you for no apparent reason :D

Welcome anyways.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies.

Guess I don't know how to use search: you would think if you search for "b-band converters" something about "b-band converters" would come up...lol

Yes, I figured they were to convert the B-band, but knew there had to be something with such a cluge approach with a new product. Usually such filters are inside the box, if they are always needed (or on the other end, at the dish electronics assembly).

What I gather from the post are it's something they didn't design-in, we really don't need them now, but we do need them later.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
63 Posts
JokerStick said:
Thank you for the replies.

Guess I don't know how to use search: you would think if you search for "b-band converters" something about "b-band converters" would come up...lol

Yes, I figured they were to convert the B-band, but knew there had to be something with such a cluge approach with a new product. Usually such filters are inside the box, if they are always needed (or on the other end, at the dish electronics assembly).

What I gather from the post are it's something they didn't design-in, we really don't need them now, but we do need them later.
The B-Band converter is used with the AT9 to pass the Ka-LO band (250-750MHz) signals. The 4 new satellites that are going to be used for MPEG4 satellite HD Locals use a much lower frequency range and the B-Band Converter is used to "boost" those lower frequencies up to Frequencies which the H20 receiver can recognize.

Removing the converters will not harm the LNB's. having them installed now, before the new sats are up and running will not affect the function of the HR20. Not having them once the new sats are up and running will keep you from receiving the new channels.
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
JokerStick said:
What I gather from the post are it's something they didn't design-in, we really don't need them now, but we do need them later.
I also gather that they have a relatively high failure rate as such products go, which is why they were not built into the receivers or the dish assembly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
LameLefty said:
I also gather that they have a relatively high failure rate as such products go, which is why they were not built into the receivers or the dish assembly.
It certainly seems that way.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
188 Posts
Now that would have been way too easy and nowhere near as fun as humiliating the guy, even though he apologized in advance for asking the question.:rolleyes:
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
82 Posts
As I understand it, the Ka frequency range is from 18.3 - 20.2 GHz. The AT9 dish down converts this to the following two frequency ranges:

B-Band = 250-750 MHz
C-Band = 1650-2150 MHz

NOTE: The Ku frequency range is from 950-1450 MHz.

Since the HR20 receiver can't see the lower frequency range (B-Band), the B-Band Converter is needed. When necessary, the receiver signals the B-Band Converter to up convert the B-Band to the C-Band range (hiding the original C-Band).

Does anyone know how the receiver signals the B-Band Converter to do this?
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
Does anyone know how the receiver signals the B-Band Converter to do this?
There were actually instruction pamphlets packed in with my two B-Band Converters. If I wasn't watching a good Colts-Skins game right now in HD off my Fox local I might even go out and look and see what they say. :lol:
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LameLefty said:
There were actually instruction pamphlets packed in with my two B-Band Converters.
Ah, those sneaky installers. Left the instructions in my box also.:eek2: !

Says basically what SrLANGuy said. When the IRD selects the B band (250-750) the BBC up-converts it to 1650-2150MHz.

As noted elsewhere, failure to install prevents the IRD from receiving Ka Lo-band (B Band).

Says also the BBC should never be used in a system that contans an FTM, because it already has an equivalent function.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
82 Posts
So, does anyone know how the IRD (receiver) signals the BBC (B-Band Converter) to up convert the B-Band or not?

I know the IRD signals a multiswitch like this:

13 volts = odd transponders
18 volts = even transponders

no 22 KHz tone = 101° satellite
22 KHz tone present = 119°/110° satellites

But how does it signal the BBC?
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
69 Posts
SrLANGuy said:
As I understand it, the Ka frequency range is from 18.3 - 20.2 GHz. The AT9 dish down converts this to the following two frequency ranges:

B-Band = 250-750 MHz
C-Band = 1650-2150 MHz

NOTE: The Ku frequency range is from 950-1450 MHz.

Since the HR20 receiver can't see the lower frequency range (B-Band), the B-Band Converter is needed. When necessary, the receiver signals the B-Band Converter to up convert the B-Band to the C-Band range (hiding the original C-Band).

Does anyone know how the receiver signals the B-Band Converter to do this?
I like your explanation, but now I have a question: the HR20-700 has two sat tuners builtin which can be tuned to 2 different channels; what will happen if one tuner requires the original C band and the other requires the B band? As you explained, when the B band is needed the band converter converts the B band signals to the same frequency range of the C band. How can the converter pass both bands at the same time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
HDNut said:
I like your explanation, but now I have a question: the HR20-700 has two sat tuners builtin which can be tuned to 2 different channels; what will happen if one tuner requires the original C band and the other requires the B band? As you explained, when the B band is needed the band converter converts the B band signals to the same frequency range of the C band. How can the converter pass both bands at the same time?
Well there is a separate b-band converter for each tuner.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
69 Posts
PoitNarf said:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers ;)
Sorry, but I don't agree with you: mine was a stupid question, and your answer was not stupid. Anyway, I appreciated your post.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top