DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Legend
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why was the pay subscription BabyFirst was moved to a HD Satellite and given to customers for free and is has no plan on broadcasting it in HD. I would have moved BBC America to HD.

· Icon
1,567 Posts
dod1450 said:
Why was the pay subscription BabyFirst was moved to a HD Satellite and given to customers for free and is has no plan on broadcasting it in HD. I would have moved BBC America to HD.
BBC America HD would be an addition - not a move. BBCA would still be on the 101 satellite in MPEG2 SD. Moving BabyFirst to MPEG4 SD saves bandwidth overall.

Now, one could argue that they should have moved a different channel to free up space on the 101 satellite, but my guess is that BabyFirst was one of the lesser viewed channels on the 101 satellite, so the move affects a smaller number of viewers.

· Legend
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would agree, but the one problem is that one has to have an HD receiver now to watch it. Where it was available before as a pay subscription on a NON HD receiver. I never did watch it when it was free for a couple of days in the pass.

· Godfather
463 Posts
Sixto said:
DirecTV-12 Transponder 18.
I didn't know that Kyle Busch had his own DirectV satellite transponder. BabyFirst TV is a perfect match. It would also be a perfect sponsor for him in Sprint Cup since he would represent them well since he acts like a two year old all the time. (especially when he wrecked Honraday intentionally last year.)

· Hall Of Fame
3,041 Posts
Per the rules governing Public Interest Obligation channels, D* needed to add another PIO to that orbital slot. A percentage of all the programming (4% I believe) has to be PIO from a specific source slot At least that is how it was explained to me. Thus the move.

Similar to the moves of God TV and NASA channel also to the 99/103 slot that are also not in HD, but are in SD MPEG4 now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.