DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Legend
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any speculation as to the "hackability" of the HR-20? I really miss the 30 sec SKIP, and my wife is about to divorce me due to my ineptness of using FF to bypass the commercials. The unit certainly skips backwards just fine, so I hope that some brainiac figures it out. I'm sure it's there... just like the tivo. ;)

ReplayTV had it right with their "commercial skip" feature. I know it was only about 70% accurate, but it was good! Damn networks....

--Mike

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
As of right this moment...
No one has reported successfull of hacking the HR20/R15.

There is no backdoor code to get a magical 30s SKIP, instead of SLIP, as it simply isn't there in the code to be found.

· Legend
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
As of right this moment...
No one has reported successfull of hacking the HR20/R15.

There is no backdoor code to get a magical 30s SKIP, instead of SLIP, as it simply isn't there in the code to be found.
Thanks for the reply. I do understand that it was a backdoor w/tivo (as opposed to a true hack). I'm just surprised that DTV didn't do the same.

--Mike

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
greenie95125 said:
I'm just surprised that DTV didn't do the same.
Really? You're surprised that a company that is owned by a company that also owns commercial television networks didn't want their DVR to have the functionality to skip commercials?

· Registered
5,952 Posts
asousa said:
the 30 second ff thing on the HR20 doesn't really bother me that much
Me either. OTA and Dual Buffers are a LOT more important to me. (not to mention overall reliability, although I have not had reliability problems to this point (3 weeks))

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Note, I changed the title of the thread to be a little more descripitive...
And not to use the "nasty" word... hacking :D

Just don't want people thinking we are going to chat about how to HACK the box to get recordings off of it, or bypass the security in the system.

· Legend
115 Posts
Jeremy W said:
It doesn't use Linux.
OK...since you were kind of definitive on what it doesn't use, is it a big secret as to what it actually uses?
I thought I saw some of posters in the eSATA thread say that if they had their external drive pre-formatted for Linux based file systems the startup sequence didn't include formatting and such?

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
lpctv said:
OK...since you were kind of definitive on what it doesn't use, is it a big secret as to what it actually uses?
Nobody has publically said exactly what OS it uses. But I know it doesn't use Linux because there are no GPL notices to be found.

· Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
I believe it doesn't have to run linux just to use the linkux filesystem. They could have chosen that for ease and to avoid having to either roll their own or pay rolyalties if they something from Microsoft.

Or IOWs a filesystem does not equal a OS

To go along with what Jeremy W says, Dishnetwork posted the GPL parts of their Linux DVRs code to complie with the GPL. Note that they didn't have to post the code to the parts they wrote.

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Linux is (technically) a kernel, not an full-fledged OS. Similarly, Tivo years ago published the code to their kernel extensions and enhancements to Linux in order to comply with the GPL. They did not publish the code to their UI or other patented operating features. In addition, there is no "Linux filesystem" per se. There are LOTS of filesystems and formats that can and have been used with Linux (or any *nix kernel) over the years. I personally have used ext2, ext3, reiserfs, FAT32 and even NTFS with Linux systems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.