DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice there's a network connection on the back of the HR20. Is there anyway to backup my settings (Mainly Searches) to my computer, and then be able to restore them if I switch hard drives for one reason or another?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
No, there is not.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Perhaps once remote scheduling becomes available, D*.com will be able to mirror your HR20 settings. At least that's my hope.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
kturcotte said:
Anyway I could do it myself?
Welcome to the forums. :welcome_s

Aside from pen and paper, I've not found a simple way.

Merry Christmas,
Tom

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
tibber said:
Welcome to the forums. :welcome_s

Aside from pen and paper, I've not found a simple way.

Merry Christmas,
Tom
Or a digital camera! :)

It would be cool to be able to backup to the network share or even a USB thumb drive. When Ox10B goes national (as it looks like it has) I want to completely reformat my machine. I've held off since setting up 30+ series links will be a bit of a challenge.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
Or a digital camera! :)

It would be cool to be able to backup to the network share or even a USB thumb drive. When Ox10B goes national (as it looks like it has) I want to completely reformat my machine. I've held off since setting up 30+ series links will be a bit of a challenge.
I am very thankful that we can set the recording defaults for things like padding and retention so I don't have to on every SL I setup...

Yeah, a USB drive would be another great way. Perhaps someday?

Merry Christmas,
Tom

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
tibber said:
I am very thankful that we can set the recording defaults for things like padding and retention so I don't have to on every SL I setup...

Yeah, a USB drive would be another great way. Perhaps someday?

Merry Christmas,
Tom
I just noticed your "real treasures" in your auto sig... Very cute.

The USB ports are on there for a reason... What that is, we don't know yet but I imagine we'll see lots of cool stuff coming down the pike for the HR-20.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
I just noticed your "real treasures" in your auto sig... Very cute.

The USB ports are on there for a reason... What that is, we don't know yet but I imagine we'll see lots of cool stuff coming down the pike for the HR-20.
Thank you. And they are very cute.

You've hit upon one of my interests in the HR20. For a collection of reasons, it seems to me that Tivo, especially in the Directv environment has stalled. Sure there are hacks but... But the HR20, 25?, 30? HMC? are starting to move forward. :)

Merry Christmas,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
kturcotte said:
I notice there's a network connection on the back of the HR20. Is there anyway to backup my settings (Mainly Searches) to my computer, and then be able to restore them if I switch hard drives for one reason or another?
There is currently no way to do this. Ability to transfer settings to a new or replacement HR20 (perhaps via USB) was on the HR20 Wish List Survey until 10-Nov-2006 when a number of changes were implemented to better focus the Survey. Visit the Discussion Thread. It may be time to consider putting this request back on the Survey. In addition, please take the survey and voice your opinion.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
251 Posts
brott said:
There is currently no way to do this. Ability to transfer settings to a new or replacement HR20 (perhaps via USB) was on the HR20 Wish List Survey until 10-Nov-2006 when a number of changes were implemented to better focus the Survey. Visit the Discussion Thread. It may be time to consider putting this request back on the Survey. In addition, please take the survey and voice your opinion.
That just speaks to the life cycle of those types of things. I got my HR20 and began visiting this site about a week after it was removed. A week or so into owning an HR20 I proposed that perhaps backing up some data to a USB flash drive would be a nice thing for people who had to replace HR20s, reformat theirs, etc.

:)

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just checking out the wishlist. Directv actually pay any attention to that? I have some more suggestions. I was a little hesitant to play with the HR20 (Earl knows this lol), but the more I use it, the more I do like it, and would like to see it improve.
As far as the USB ports, I think that's a good idea, but how long have receivers been coming with USB ports, labeled "For Future Use" and we know they're never going to be officially turned on lol

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
kturcotte said:
I was just checking out the wishlist. Directv actually pay any attention to that? I have some more suggestions. I was a little hesitant to play with the HR20 (Earl knows this lol), but the more I use it, the more I do like it, and would like to see it improve.
As far as the USB ports, I think that's a good idea, but how long have receivers been coming with USB ports, labeled "For Future Use" and we know they're never going to be officially turned on lol
If you have any suggestions, please note them in the HR20 Wish List Survey Discussion Thread. We'd love to hear from you. I make updates to the Survey on Fridays (usually around 9am PST), so you've got another day or so to get it in this week.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
iacas said:
That just speaks to the life cycle of those types of things. I got my HR20 and began visiting this site about a week after it was removed. A week or so into owning an HR20 I proposed that perhaps backing up some data to a USB flash drive would be a nice thing for people who had to replace HR20s, reformat theirs, etc.

:)
Yes, that would be a very nice feature, esp. for folks w/ a lot of series links, etc...

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
As I stated, this item has been removed from the HR20 Wish List Survey. This particular item was removed because it had a lower score AND there was a need at the time to clean up the list and make it more useful for everyone. Since it was removed outside of the guidelines, and there seems to be an up swell of support, I'll go ahead and add this item back to the list on Friday. Even though it has been around before, i will mark it so that it appears as NEW on the list.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,834 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
The USB port function that has been given the highest probability is for portable media players. Perhaps the most wished for is Wi-Fi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.