DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having similar problems to alot of other people on here. I kept getting the "searching for satellite" message when I try and watch the HD channels (70+). The network HDs have always worked perfectly. I have my fourth tech visit yesterday and he rules out the box as the cause of the problem. He back tracks and thinks it might be the switch. Switch is changed. No fix to the problem. He backtracks some more and the dish is aimed right. He finally determines that it HAS TO BE the 110 eye on the dish and it needs to be replaced. Of course he doesn't have any in his van and he reschedules to come back on Monday.

My question is this. Is this plausible? Has anyone else either had one of the eyes on their dish bad, or heard of someone who has had this?

I really hope that this is what the problem is because if it's not I'm still stuck with no HD outside of the network stuff.:confused:

5 Posts
I'm troubleshooting the same problem right now. After eliminating all components but the HR20 and the dish I concluded that the 110 signal was bad. Of course I'm blaming it on my son who was playing catch out in the yard yesterday near the dish.

I will be very interested to see how you make out.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
What are your signal readings on the various satellites and transponders? If the only satellite with no signal is the 110-deg satellite, then the likely causes are ....

* Poor connection between the two LNB assemblies on the AT9 5-LNB dish
* Something blocking dish's view of the 110-deg satellite
* Defective multiswitch (but only if 119-deg satellite signals are also missing)
* Defective 110-deg LNB

Note that if your installer is replacing the "110 eye", then be sure that he brings the correct 110/119-deg LNB assembly for your specific AT9 dish. There are three different versions and they're not interchangable.

5 Posts
Thanks for the tips Litzdog911, I guess I will be calling D*. I have good signal on all satellites except 110, where I have nothing. The signals typically range from 95 to 100 except for the ocassional mid 70's or 30's, which I take to be the spot beams. I had signal 2 days ago so I don't think anything is now blocking the 110 deg satellite. I replaced the cables between the 2 LNB's all to no avail.

Thus far I have been very happy so hopefully this is no biggie.

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are your signal readings on the various satellites and transponders?

Sat 101 - All are good. Lowest reading (except for 4,18, & 28 which are 0) is 88
Tuner 1 97% (lowest reading from all transponders)
Tuner 2 96%

Sat 110 - All 0
Tuner 1 Not acquired
Tuner 2 Not acquired

Sat 119 - 0 88 0 62 0 99 0 96 0 74 0
Tuner 1 Between 61 - 100% on odd # transponders & Not acquired on even #s
Tuner 2 Between 60 - 100% on odd # transponders & Not acquired on even #s

* Poor connection between the two LNB assemblies on the AT9 5-LNB dish

He claimed that he checked all that.

* Something blocking dish's view of the 110-deg satellite

Not the answer. If anything there is less blocking it now than before. When the dish was mounted two months ago the neighbors trees all still had leaves on them and now they do not and I was able to get the 70+ HDs.

* Defective multiswitch (but only if 119-deg satellite signals are also missing)

He replaced all switches.

* Defective 110-deg LNB

That's what the tech is now thinking. Like I said, I'm hopeful that is what it is, but given the past history since I got this box I'm not optimistic that the fix will be this easy.

Note that if your installer is replacing the "110 eye", then be sure that he brings the correct 110/119-deg LNB assembly for your specific AT9 dish. There are three different versions and they're not interchangable.

I'll politely ask him abou that. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
mjcatc said:
What are your signal readings on the various satellites and transponders?

Sat 101 - All are good. Lowest reading (except for 4,18, & 28 which are 0) is 88
Tuner 1 97% (lowest reading from all transponders)
Tuner 2 96%

Sat 110 - All 0
Tuner 1 Not acquired
Tuner 2 Not acquired

Sat 119 - 0 88 0 62 0 99 0 96 0 74 0
Tuner 1 Between 61 - 100% on odd # transponders & Not acquired on even #s
Tuner 2 Between 60 - 100% on odd # transponders & Not acquired on even #s

Note that your 119-deg satellite is missing all of the even transponders. This suggest a problem with the secondary LNB assembly (the one sticking out from the main LNB assembly). The signals from the 110-deg satellite LNB are combined inside this assembly with the even transponders from the 119-deg satellite, and none of those signals seem to be getting through. Hopefully replacing that LNB assembly will solve your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.