DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· AllStar
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a one HD DVR receiver and one regular HD receiver so would my setup include a multiswitch?

I ask because last night I lost my local HD channels (which happens often) but I got a message saying something about having a bad multiswitch. I've never seen this message before, I usually get the 771 message when my local HD channels go out.
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,481 Posts
There is a 4x4 multiswitch built into the LNB assembly on the dish.

If this is a nightly thing, I'd be looking for loose outdoor connections or a defective (possibly damp) LNB assembly.

Have you looked at the 99W signal strengths when this happens?
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
harsh said:
There is a 4x4 multiswitch built into the LNB assembly on the dish.

If this is a nightly thing, I'd be looking for loose outdoor connections or a defective (possibly damp) LNB assembly.

Have you looked at the 99W signal strengths when this happens?
Yes I checked my signal strength and it showed zero for all transponders. I don't think it shows 99w just 99c & 99s, but I could be wrong but I'm not home now to verfiy.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
bigben7 said:
Yes I checked my signal strength and it showed zero for all transponders. I don't think it shows 99w just 99c & 99s, but I could be wrong but I'm not home now to verfiy.
Harsh doesn't have DirecTV equipment, so he doesn't seem to know that 99 & 103 are either C & S, or A & B depending on whether you're using a DVR or a non recording receiver.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,915 Posts
99w is the position (99 West). 99(c) is the conus signals and 99(s) is the spot beam signals.

You probably do not have a separate multiswitch from the dish like a WB68 since you only need 3 outputs for your equipment (the dish has 4 outputs). But the LNB on the dish (the piece at the end of the arm with white caps) does have an internal multiswitch and may be having some issues.

I would check all your connections, and check for any moisture. The receiver is guessing it is a multiswitch based on what it is seeing, it is not 100% that it is the issue.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
veryoldschool said:
Harsh doesn't have DirecTV equipment, so he doesn't seem to know that 99 & 103 are either C & S, or A & B depending on whether you're using a DVR or a non recording receiver.
So is Harsh's comment about a multiswitch being built into the assembly correct?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,510 Posts
Grentz said:
It is correct. The Slimline LNB has a built in multiswitch.
A standard 5-LNB has a multi-switch built into it also.
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,481 Posts
bigben7 said:
So is Harsh's comment about a multiswitch being built into the assembly correct?
You will find that everything I offered is accurate. This is evidenced by the fact that it was all repeated at least once in subsequent posts. I hoped to avoid the (c) versus (a) and (s) versus (b) hairball by just saying 99W given that the OP has both styles.

It seems like they could save a lot of trouble by standardizing the designations.
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,481 Posts
jwd45244 said:
A standard 5-LNB has a multi-switch built into it also.
The Slimline has been the standard for some time now. The AT-9's are at the point in their life cycle where more than a few of them are now being replaced by some manner of Slimline.

In the grand scheme, all current multi-satellite DBS dishes (D* or E*) have some manner of multiswitch built in.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,915 Posts
jwd45244 said:
A standard 5-LNB has a multi-switch built into it also.
If you mean the AT9 (sidecar), yes that is correct.

harsh said:
It seems like they could save a lot of trouble by standardizing the designations.
It has already been said that they will eventually, they are working on it ;)
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
harsh said:
You will find that everything I offered is accurate. This is evidenced by the fact that it was all repeated at least once in subsequent posts. I hoped to avoid the (c) versus (a) and (s) versus (b) hairball by just saying 99W given that the OP has both styles.

It seems like they could save a lot of trouble by standardizing the designations.
Ok thanks. So back to my original issue with the error message. It went away as soon as I changed the channel and came back....the searching for satellite error appeared then. So should I really be concerned that I may have a bad multiswitch?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
bigben7 said:
Ok thanks. So back to my original issue with the error message. It went away as soon as I changed the channel and came back....the searching for satellite error appeared then. So should I really be concerned that I may have a bad multiswitch?
So far you haven't posted enough to "know" where the problem is. "Zeros" will give the 771 error message. The cause could be anything from the receiver, to cables/BBCs, to the LNB/built-in multi-switch.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grentz said:
As said above, go out and check the connections and check for moisture. It could just be a bad/failing connection or moisture penetration.
I can't get to the dish but I do have the protection plan so maybe I can get someone to come out and take a look.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
335 Posts
Did you try resetting your recevier? What is the model? I have an H20 that does stupid crap like this all the time. In my case, its just the fact that the H20 is a garbage product and from what I've heard is being replaced for just that reason. Its a unreliable POS.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
schlar01 said:
Did you try resetting your recevier? What is the model? I have an H20 that does stupid crap like this all the time. In my case, its just the fact that the H20 is a garbage product and from what I've heard is being replaced for just that reason. Its a unreliable POS.
Yes I've tried resetting but it doesn't help. I have issues on both by HR20 and H20 so I don't think I have a receiver issue.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top