DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently (within the last month or so) we've been getting very bad lockups and pixelation on our HR-20 on all the MPET4 HD channels we watch (DiscHD, NickHD, etc). Non MPEG4 HD channels are fine. Local OTA HD Channels are fine. What sats/transponders do I need to check?

· Registered
5,530 Posts
slydog75 said:
Recently (within the last month or so) we've been getting very bad lockups and pixelation on our HR-20 on all the MPET4 HD channels we watch (DiscHD, NickHD, etc). Non MPEG4 HD channels are fine. Local OTA HD Channels are fine. What sats/transponders do I need to check?
103c and now 99c, check BOTH tuners.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
slydog75 said:
Hmm... interesting.. All transponders on those sats are 80 or above. I don't think that's the problem. Could it be a bad box?
Are they in the 80's on both tuners?

Tell us a little more about your configuration... Do you have a multiswitch?

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Since most of the HD channels are on the 103 and now 99 sats....it could also be your BBC's going bad....especially if your signal levels seem solid.

If you have a spare BBC...try replacing one and see if that helps....otherwise, you may want to call and get some new ones....

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Radio Enginerd said:
Are they in the 80's on both tuners?

Tell us a little more about your configuration... Do you have a multiswitch?
Yep, average is probably 90 actually, with nothing below 80, and on both tuners. The only multiswitch I have is the one built into the dish.

What's a BBC? is that the dongle that is inline on the cable in from the satellite?

· Mentor
45 Posts
We had the same problem last night (in eastern MA). Our signal strength on the 103 sat was in the 80's and 90's and the 99 sat was about the same (with some 0's). The pixelation was horrible on most of the MPEG4 channels but the others were fine and OTA was good. For example, the new ESPN MPEG 4 channel 206 was unwatchable, the "old" ESPN HD channel was great...

This has been happening a lot lately on both of our HR-20's. Is it possible that the MPEG 4 signals more susceptible to electrical storms? There have been quite a few storms this summer, but I don't know why that would effect only some signals.

The pixelation issue has me thinking about jumping to Fios when it comes to our town - and I am a long time Directv fan :mad:

· Registered
5,530 Posts
GregM5 said:
We had the same problem last night (in eastern MA). Our signal strength on the 103 sat was in the 80's and 90's and the 99 sat was about the same (with some 0's). The pixelation was horrible on most of the MPEG4 channels but the others were fine and OTA was good. For example, the new ESPN MPEG 4 channel 206 was unwatchable, the "old" ESPN HD channel was great...

This has been happening a lot lately on both of our HR-20's. Is it possible that the MPEG 4 signals more susceptible to electrical storms? There have been quite a few storms this summer, but I don't know why that would effect only some signals.

The pixelation issue has me thinking about jumping to Fios when it comes to our town - and I am a long time Directv fan :mad:
If you have zero signals on any of the 99 transponders you have a problem that is NOT alignment.

Post back with a list of your signal strengths on 99c and 103c but check BOTH tuners since you may have a problem only on one of them.

· AllStar
61 Posts
I have been having this same problem for over a month now on both of my HR20-700's. But it only happens in the Afternoon between 1-5 central time. I get the bad pixelalization and lock up for about 45 seconds each time it happens. which some days is quite often. Does the sun have something to do with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
In single HD receiver installations, if you have good 103(c) signals and replacing the BBC('s) doesn't correct the HD pixelation problem (available free by telephone or e-mail from DirecTV), there's some additional things you can trouble shoot.

First step, if you have a multi-switch: make sure it's the correct multi-switch: either a Zinwell WB68 or a WB616. Second step if you have a multi-switch: bypass it temporarily with double-female "barrel" adapters, connecting your antenna line(s) directly to line(s) going to the dish. If it's not a multi-switch problem, suspect the LNB or the receiver. The LNB requires a service call, but you can possibly test your receiver at a friend's house.

· Mentor
45 Posts
texasbrit said:
If you have zero signals on any of the 99 transponders you have a problem that is NOT alignment.

Post back with a list of your signal strengths on 99c and 103c but check BOTH tuners since you may have a problem only on one of them.
Note: the weather not great at the moment (some thunder, light rain).

On 99c I am getting signal strengths between 73 and 88. An occasional 0 pops up now and again but changes to 70's and 80's after about 15 seconds (both tuners seem to be pretty much the same).

Pretty much the same on 103c, which has slightly stronger signal strength - high 70's and 80's. Once in awhile a 0 pops up but doesn't last long. Earlier the signal strength was from the high 80's to 100 on 103c. I don't know if this is normal or not.

I checked both the MPEG 4 ESPN HD and Discovery HD channels - no pixelation at this time... :confused:

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
GregM5: Those signals are plenty strong enough for solid reception. Those with normal-weather signal in the 70's will find their rain fade margin to be on the low side, so they'll experience rain fade-caused pixelation more often and earlier than they would if their 99(c)/103(c) signals were mostly all in the 90's. If you have pixelation during clear weather with 99(c)/103(c) tp signals above the 70's, any reception problem is caused by something other than alignment, even though you would benefit from re-alignment.

BTW, occasional "0's" in the signal strength grid are a known issue. You can disregard them. Confirm individual tp strengths using the Signal Meters selection.

· Cool Member
19 Posts
I'm also experiencing similar, intermittant pixelation problems. The dish itself has considerable rust. The techs that D* sent out said they don't think that rust would cause the problem, but they haven't seen many dishes with rust. I don't understand enough about the technology to know if the rust could be causing the problem. Anyone have any experience with this?

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Spit said:
I'm also experiencing similar, intermittant pixelation problems. The dish itself has considerable rust. The techs that D* sent out said they don't think that rust would cause the problem, but they haven't seen many dishes with rust. I don't understand enough about the technology to know if the rust could be causing the problem. Anyone have any experience with this?
Rust on the dish won't cause problems, but rust in the connectors will.

· Cool Member
19 Posts
texasbrit said:
Rust on the dish won't cause problems, but rust in the connectors will.
Thanks for the info. I guess I won't worry about the rust on the dish. I can confirm that rust in the connectors plays havoc with MPEG4 reception. A while back, I had a connector with a tiny bit of rust, no larger than a spec, that caused all kinds of problems.

· AllStar
59 Posts
I have a question. I have a relatively new installation, with what I think is a multiswitch. I have an H21 (which I adore) and HR21 (not such a big fan . . . ) and an SD box (no idea).

My installer said that I should under no circumstances install the BBC dongle onto my HD boxes. I have only one cable wire coming out of my multiswitch.

Can someone who really knows what they're talking about tell me whether I should have the BBC inline or not? My installer warned me it would fry my box. Will it?

I have good signal strengths - but sometimes when I check some of the transponders take minutes to put up a number on the display. I have rain fade not really easy, but sometimes it doesnt seem to be raining really hard, and I lose reception. I'd like to improve this. Will the BBC's help?

Thanks!

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
It’s possible you have what is called a SWM (single-wire multiswitch). It’s a special type of switch that does not need BBC’s, and also, on the HR2x DVR’s, it only needs one cable instead of two. Does you HR21 use two coax feeds coming from the switch or just one? If there is only one, and both of its tuners work simultaneously, then you have a SWM and you don’t need BBC’s. I’m not sure about them damaging the receivers if used, but with a SWM you don’t need them.

· Mentor
45 Posts
K4SMX said:
GregM5: Those signals are plenty strong enough for solid reception. Those with normal-weather signal in the 70's will find their rain fade margin to be on the low side, so they'll experience rain fade-caused pixelation more often and earlier than they would if their 99(c)/103(c) signals were mostly all in the 90's. If you have pixelation during clear weather with 99(c)/103(c) tp signals above the 70's, any reception problem is caused by something other than alignment, even though you would benefit from re-alignment.

BTW, occasional "0's" in the signal strength grid are a known issue. You can disregard them. Confirm individual tp strengths using the Signal Meters selection.
Thanks for the info. For some reason the MPEG 4 HD channels do seem to be more prone to pixelation problems than the other HD channels on both of our HR20-700's. I haven't been able to isolate the problem - not much time to play with my setup.

· AllStar
59 Posts
rudeney said:
It's possible you have what is called a SWM (single-wire multiswitch). It's a special type of switch that does not need BBC's, and also, on the HR2x DVR's, it only needs one cable instead of two. Does you HR21 use two coax feeds coming from the switch or just one? If there is only one, and both of its tuners work simultaneously, then you have a SWM and you don't need BBC's. I'm not sure about them damaging the receivers if used, but with a SWM you don't need them.
Thanks for the reply. My HR21 has only one cable input - so it must be the SWM, and I dont need the BBC's. Maybe I need to get my dish aligned.

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.