DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HR20 and Slimline 5 installed two days ago. About 90% - but not all - of what I've tried to record has just been blank. Discovered that if I tune to channel being recorded, I get a "searching for signal" message. If I cancel recording and go right back to the same channel, it's fine, plenty of signal.

When checking signal strength, discovered that only tuner 2 had signal. Nothing on tuner 1. Swapped cables at back of DVR and problem stayed with tuner 1.

A few questions:

* Since problem stays with tuner 1, even with cable swap, this clearly seems to be defective HR20. I've asked D* to send a unit that I can swap. They want to send a tech and it will be 10 days before they can schedule me. Would you agree this has to be bad DVR?

* If I press Record on a channel I'm watching and then tune to anything else, I get "searching for signal", again confirming the bad tuner.

* If I flip through channels, all come in fine (assuming I'm not successfully recording something). Somehow the DVR knows to use the tuner that works when I'm selecting channels but uses "the other tuner" for recordings, is that right?

* Why have a few of my recordings worked? Perhaps I happened to leave TV tuned to the channel later recorded? That's possible.

* Assuming I really do have to wait 10 days (I haven't resolved myself to that yet), is there a workaround? I assume the only way this is going to work is if I leave the TV tuned to the channel I want to record.

Hope this makes some sense. Appreciate any feedback.

· Mentor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I'm even more clueless than I thought.:nono:

Found the acronym thread and figured out BBC is B-Band Converter. Now I just need to figure out where they are on my HR20. It's late, will mess with this tomorrow. Thanks, though, for the suggestion. I do appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.