777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we went out of town this weekend and came home to the following:

Kidnapped - PARTIAL
Ghost Whisperer - PARTIAL
Battlestar - PARTIAL (twice)
Dr Who - PARTIAL
Star Trek - PARTIAL

Star Trek showed up in the VOD, but only 10 minutes long due to a pre-show 10 min pad.

Dr Who showed up again as recorded, but hit Select and it showed the program info for Battlestar! I tried playing, but it was a corrupt recording with a negative time showing at the left side of the time bar.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
dervari said:

Kidnapped - PARTIAL
Dr Who - PARTIAL
Star Trek - PARTIAL

Star Trek showed up in the VOD, but only 10 minutes long due to a pre-show 10 min pad.

Dr Who showed up again as recorded, but hit Select and it showed the program info for Battlestar! I tried playing, but it was a corrupt recording with a negative time showing at the left side of the time bar.
Frack!.....No BSG; thats just wrong.

Seems lots of us have been getting partials lately. Hopefully, this week an update will cure this problem; if in fact there is a fracking update.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Vinny said:
Frack!.....No BSG; thats just wrong.

Seems lots of us have been getting partials lately. Hopefully, this week an update will cure this problem; if in fact there is a fracking update.
I've gotta start using "frack" more often :D

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I've gotta start using "frack" more often :D
Works for me!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
dervari said:

Kidnapped - PARTIAL
Dr Who - PARTIAL
Star Trek - PARTIAL

For those who think this is a MPEG4 problem

Only 2 of those programs are mpeg4, assuming he was using his local

2 are SD

and 1 is HD MPEG2 assuming he is talking about Enterprise on HD Net otherwise it is a SD sat station.

This is consistent with my experience with the partial bug.

glennb, it is nice that you have 0 problems, many of us do. I too recored BSG and Dr. Who with no problems, this is a random bug but I have lots of other partials, that makes the hr20 not trustworthy as a DVR. What is the value, in posting what you recored and your claim to have zero problems?

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
They need to change the default of 'delete' to 'save' for 'partial' recordings.. at least we could watch what it did get..

·
Icon
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
houskamp said:
They need to change the default of 'delete' to 'save' for 'partial' recordings.. at least we could watch what it did get..
Strange thing is, it DID save the 10 minutes that was my pre-pad for Star Trek (Local MP4 - The new remastered ones).

Thank goodness for Poopli!

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
This stuff has happened to me many time - it's now over 50% of all recordings. I've already caught my wife trying to unplug everything and put the old HR 10/250 back in once, and the next time she gets a partial recording (only records the "record 3 minutes early") I too fear a sledge hammer in the future. I'm sorry, but the HR20 sucks and it's not doing many of the "easy" things right it seems.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
btmoore said:
For those who think this is a MPEG4 problem

Only 2 of those programs are mpeg4, assuming he was using his local

2 are SD

and 1 is HD MPEG2 assuming he is talking about Enterprise on HD Net otherwise it is a SD sat station.

This is consistent with my experience with the partial bug.

glennb, it is nice that you have 0 problems, many of us do. I too recored BSG and Dr. Who with no problems, this is a random bug but I have lots of other partials, that makes the hr20 not trustworthy as a DVR. What is the value, in posting what you recored and your claim to have zero problems?
The value in it is to discriminate between two sets of conditions (or multiple sets). When the same set of programs record perfectly on one unit and not on another, IT MEANS SOMETHING. It is another data point. It is IMPORTANT to know if EVERYONE is having an issue all the time, or if it is intermittant, or dependent on a series of user actions...whatever. I don't see any problem (unless the OP says "only those having this problem respond")...otherwise, it is SIGNIFICANT if some have and some don't. It's not like anyone is disputing that someone had the problem, anymore than someone else should take umbrage at those who aren't having the problem. We need to understand commonalities as well as differentials...isn't that obvious?

Both of these conditions are VALUABLE:

1. A person who reports success and is met with a response of others having experienced failure.

2. A person who has experienced a failure and is met with a response of others having success.

It is ONLY by analyzing WHAT IS DIFFERENT between success and failure that D* is going to have a clue about how to go about more effectively isolating problems and eventually fixing them.

This isn't a competition or a game of one-upsmanship, it's a data collection and comparison effort, aside from those who just like to argue.

We really need an update, or at least the full moon has got to go away...

·
Icon
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hasan said:
The value in it is to discriminate between two sets of conditions (or multiple sets). When the same set of programs record perfectly on one unit and not on another, IT MEANS SOMETHING.
Unfortunately, this code is probably so complex that you can't correlate the data in any meaningful fashion. There are too many variables to consider...codepath, values on the stack, memory usage (leaks), array usage, CPU utilization, etc.

·
Icon
828 Posts
This weekend I scheduled the Nextel Cup race on both hr20s. I always pad one minute ahead and 3 hours after (in case of rain [or snow] delays.
We usuually start watching about an hour after the actual broadcast time so we can skip boring commercials. Today BOTH hr20s stopped recording after 4 hours and 11 minutes.
The total scheduled time was 7 hours and 1 minutes which showed up on the time line when ff or pausing. When the program stopped after the 4:11, the time line reverted to showing 4:11.
This is the first week that KVBC Las Vegas was carried on their HD signal, but this had happened a couple of weeks ago where the SD broadcast was lost completely (partial recording).
One of the 20s also failed to catch Letterman (SD) on Friday night--just a black screen.
I sure hope D* gets these problems corrected with the next sw download.
Needless to say, next week's race will also be recorded on our hr10.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
dervari said:
Unfortunately, this code is probably so complex that you can't correlate the data in any meaningful fashion. There are too many variables to consider...codepath, values on the stack, memory usage (leaks), array usage, CPU utilization, etc.
One brick at a time. Reading the threads shows that a LOT of bugs have been clearly pointed at based on correlations of use patterns. Those are the easier ones, but they still have to be identified and fixed. What you say is true for a certain class of bugs, untrue for others...and that's the point of reporting success/failure and conditions thereof. (We aren't doing the fixing, we are a rich and varied test bed....and to reiterate my point, that is VALUABLE to the people trying to chase down the "complex" as well as the straightforward.) If what you say is totally true, then there is no value in posting anything about anomalies in these threads, we should just sit on our hands and make a few banal comments about how to operate the HR20 and put together our wish lists.

The issue I disagreed with was that saying something did work for one person, when it may have not worked for others is NOT inappropriate. It has value. How much depends on the nature and extent of the correlations you refer to.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
I got back last night after a week vacation to find that about 30% of the shows didn't record. :mad: What the heck is happening? This box has only missed a couple of recordings over the last month, and all of a sudden it misses a bunch. (In 4-5 years with TiVo, I never missed recording a single program.)

I cancelled a number of shows off out of the ToDo list before I left. Does this mess up the HR20's ability to schedule things? The missed programs show as "partial" instead of "cancelled", so I know I didn't cancel them by mistake.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
I had the exact same problem recording the NASCAR event on Sunday. Started the recording 10 minutes early to finish 3 hours after the event (7 hrs, 10 min). Hard drive only 55% full. The recording stopped with 18 laps to go; well before it was supposed to stop. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh!!! This recording was on KXAS-HD Dallas Mpeg4.

·
Icon
828 Posts
ram4784 said:
I had the exact same problem recording the NASCAR event on Sunday. Started the recording 10 minutes early to finish 3 hours after the event (7 hrs, 10 min). Hard drive only 55% full. The recording stopped with 18 laps to go; well before it was supposed to stop. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh!!! This recording was on KXAS-HD Dallas Mpeg4.
If you want to see the end of the race, SPEED (ch 607) has it scheduled for re-broadcast on Thursday morning.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Had my first one last night. (Actually, it missed a couple on earlier software versions, but they were always unimportant stuff)

Sat down to watch Heroes at about 10:30, and it wasn't there. Checked the history, and it was listed as "Partial", but it wasn't in the VOD list.

I was beginning to feel safe the with HR20, and have been thinking of deactivating the DirecTiVo I've been keeping as a backup. Now, I think I'll wait a bit longer. It sucked to watch Heroes in SD, but at least the DirecTiVo recorded it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.