DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get installed a Slimline dish mounted on the outside of my balcony railing pointing nearly 90 degrees to the railing.

See attached pic for how my old dish and how i want the new dish to be installed...

Some history:
I am a former Directv subscriber, last year I had a triple LNB dish installed on my balcony railing (using lots of zip ties), which I installed myself. I installed the triple LNB dish without mentioning anything to my apartment management which is right next to me in the office building facing my dish about 10' away. I did mention my dish to the sales folks when signing the lease they didn't seem to care. I also drilled a hole through wood 2x4 into the apartment with 4 cables the hole is right in a corner and kind of hidden in behind a small tree in a large pot/planter. Anyway, there was no problems until i put a huge HDTV antenna on my balcony which they objected saying it was not allowed, I sent them a letter with the FCC stuff saying it is allowed by law, but they were saying it was past the size limit (it was only 1-2" bigger) and allow only 1 "dish" on my balcony. While I could have fought with them more I thought I would just put the big antenna inside my apartment, which has worked fine, although kind of ugly. I have since removed the dish because I switched to Comcast, but i left all the cables going through the wall for future use.

Upcoming Install:
I do not want to get a permission letter from the front office because they are not very cooperative, also I already had a dish installed in the same location with no problems from them. Also I have they apartment rules paperwork on hand if the installer wants to see it, basically says nothing permanently installed and must be located on your balcony (ie. not on the outside wall/roof).

What stuff should I buy and have ready ahead of time for the installer, should I buy some square blocks of plywood for added stability for attaching to the railing? U-bolts?? 2" post? What else...?

Also see attached 2nd pic for another persons install, i have the same kind of railing, only thing different is my dish will be turned more, almost 90 degrees to the balcony. I hope the dish will not hit the railing before turning 90 degrees....

Attachments

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Hopefully the tech will have a spare mast so he can use the foot and attempt something similar. He can always mount the dish higher to get the clearance he needs. I would get about 10 long bolts and nuts to attach the two 'mast feet' together and for the monopoles. Make sure the bolts are 7/16 since that is what most of our stuff is.
Make sure he installs at least one monopole for added wind stability. Just in case get a few pieces of wood in case he wants to use lag bolts and wood on the other side. I'd use pressure treated wood and maybe even use a waterproof stain after any use.
and make sure to have some 'persuasion' in case he doesn't want to to do the install.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mertzen said:
Hopefully the tech will have a spare mast so he can use the foot and attempt something similar. He can always mount the dish higher to get the clearance he needs. I would get about 10 long bolts and nuts to attach the two 'mast feet' together and for the monopoles. Make sure the bolts are 7/16 since that is what most of our stuff is.
Make sure he installs at least one monopole for added wind stability. Just in case get a few pieces of wood in case he wants to use lag bolts and wood on the other side. I'd use pressure treated wood and maybe even use a waterproof stain after any use.
and make sure to have some 'persuasion' in case he doesn't want to to do the install.
Thanks for the reply.

I will grab the 7/16" u-bolts and extra pressure treated wood in case like you said and good idea about the mono poles I didn't even think about attaching those via u-bolts! I just remembered I have an extra slimline dish (got it off a friend) so if needs an extra mast I will give him the one i have. I will have some cash handy too good idea :) Do i still need to get a 2" dia post?

Thanks!

·
AllStar
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sattec said:
I thought you might want to get it done BEFORE he arrived..
Ah ok lol, thought you were joking... Not a bad idea actually if that is an offer. I'm in northwest Houston right near the where 290 and beltway 8 intersect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.