DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the AVS forums have information on local HDTV reception, but I don't get many answers over there regarding the MPEG4 questions. Anyways, this Sunday I noticed that the NFL games on FOX(WBFF) and CBS(WJZ) were 10 times better in PQ then I have seen since I got the HR20. I also noticed the 8mm effect was not present during the Jets Packers game today. I hope they finally nipped that issue in the bud. NBC(WBAL) still looks like garbage tonight.

Does anybody else think the same?

·
Legend
229 Posts
EMoMoney said:
I know the AVS forums have information on local HDTV reception, but I don't get many answers over there regarding the MPEG4 questions. Anyways, this Sunday I noticed that the NFL games on FOX(WBFF) and CBS(WJZ) were 10 times better in PQ then I have seen since I got the HR20. I also noticed the 8mm effect was not present during the Jets Packers game today. I hope they finally nipped that issue in the bud. NBC(WBAL) still looks like garbage tonight.

Does anybody else think the same?
I haven't watched a whole lot on Fox lately, but I do think that the 8mm issue that we were noticing BIG TIME on Channel 13 is either a lot better or gone altogether. Waching football was pretty bad at the begining of the season. I think NBC is better too, come to think of it.

·
Icon
808 Posts
Can't say since I get my Baltimore locals OTA using my HR10-250 HDTivos. I also get the DC locals for a total of 14 HD OTA stations vs. the measly 4 that DTV offers in mpeg4. BTW, the PQ is great!:D Even though I'm a Ravens fan I was able to watch the Redskins game in HD, which you would be completely unable to do with your mpeg4 receiver unless you had the NFL ST (but free is better, IMHO).

Is the 8mm effect an artifact of mpeg4? I get occasional pixelisation but that's pretty much normal with any digital broadcast.

·
Icon
942 Posts
Would you guys mind explaining exactly what you mean by the "8mm effect?" I'm still kinda new to the whole HD arena, so I may be seeing what you're referring to and just not realize it.

For what it's worth, since August (when I got HD) I've felt that the CBS HD feed was much worse than Fox or any of the MPEG-2 channels. I have a friend who still has an HR10-250 and OTA for his locals and he's said the same thing.

However, we both feel that NBC's HD feed is worse than CBS during Sunday Night Football.

Bob

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SockMonkey said:
Would you guys mind explaining exactly what you mean by the "8mm effect?" I'm still kinda new to the whole HD arena, so I may be seeing what you're referring to and just not realize it.
It's where the video gets jittery and it was happening about every 30 seconds or so on WJZ. I didn't notice it on all shows, mostly on sporting events and when I would occasionally tune into Letterman.

·
Icon
942 Posts
EMoMoney said:
It's where the video gets jittery and it was happening about every 30 seconds or so on WJZ. I didn't notice it on all shows, mostly on sporting events and when I would occasionally tune into Letterman.
Ah... okay. Thanks for the explaining. I don't think I've noticed that in the past. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Last night during the "Football Night In America" pre-game show on NBC, I had numerous audio drop-outs. :nono2: Anyone else?

·
Legend
229 Posts
captain_video said:
Even though I'm a Ravens fan I was able to watch the Redskins game in HD, which you would be completely unable to do with your mpeg4 receiver unless you had the NFL ST (but free is better, IMHO).
Not true if you have the H20. :D It's nice being able to get DC locals again. That's the only thing I miss from cable. Both providers in our area gave us both DC and Baltimore locals. Now if I can just get an antenna strong enough to tune in CW50 reliably....

·
Icon
808 Posts
I stand corrected. The OP stated he had an HR20 so I should have said mpeg4 DVR instead of receiver. Check out the ChannelMaster 4228 UHF antenna. I'm in Ellicott City and have two of them on my roof pointed in opposite directions. I get both Baltimore and DC HD channels nice and clear. The 4228 is probably more antenna than I need for my location and has a much longer range than I need but I figured it's better to have too much than too little.

·
Legend
229 Posts
captain_video said:
I stand corrected. The OP stated he had an HR20 so I should have said mpeg4 DVR instead of receiver. Check out the ChannelMaster 4228 UHF antenna. I'm in Ellicott City and have two of them on my roof pointed in opposite directions. I get both Baltimore and DC HD channels nice and clear. The 4228 is probably more antenna than I need for my location and has a much longer range than I need but I figured it's better to have too much than too little.
Cool, I'll check that one out. Thanks for the recommendation! We have a little indoor thingie we got from Radio Shack that works ok for most channels we want. EXCEPT, of course, for CW50. That's very hit or miss. It's the one channel that we don't get on SAT that carries Caps games, and is naturally the furthest away from us. :rolleyes:

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, does anybody know if D* will carry CW (WNUV) via Satellite in the future? Of course it may not matter to me in the end as this may be the last season for Veronica Mars and that's the only thing I watch on the CW.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WBAL was terrible last night for Heros. I wouldn't call it pixilation, but there were a lot of video hiccups.

·
Icon
942 Posts
EMoMoney said:
WBAL was terrible last night for Heros. I wouldn't call it pixilation, but there were a lot of video hiccups.
Great! Haven't watched it yet, but it's sitting in my playlist for tonight. Glad to know I have that to look forward to. At least if it's too bad, I can catch it on NBC.com.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SockMonkey said:
Great! Haven't watched it yet, but it's sitting in my play list for tonight. Glad to know I have that to look forward to. At least if it's too bad, I can catch it on NBC.com.
Well, I am picky when it comes to PQ, so some may not describe it as terrible. It was not unwatchable, but it was definitely annoying with all the flickering. Of course it could be environmental and not affect others.

·
Icon
942 Posts
Last Thursday WBAL was horrible for Earl and The Office. I kept getting digital stuttering sounds in the audio. Very annoying, but I fought through it and watched both.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I had that too. Maybe it's a good sign that WBAL is at least trying to optimize the MPEG compression.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WJZ screwed the pooch last night with How I met your mother. Only the first 8-10 minutes were in HD.

·
Icon
942 Posts
EMoMoney said:
WJZ screwed the pooch last night with How I met your mother. Only the first 8-10 minutes were in HD.
Yeah, that was extremely poor. I was pissed... my wife just sat there looking at me like, "What the hell is wrong with you?" :hurah: :lol: :sure: :grin:

It makes me wonder... is there some dude sitting in a control room of the station, with his chin resting on his hand and his elbow on the control board. And as he drifts off to sleep his arm slips and flips the switch from HD to SD? I mean, come on... what causes that? Right in the middle of a scene too... not even like it happened at the commercial break.

I'd really like to know why this CAN happen. :nono2: :confused:
Bob

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They always switch when they show a news crawler across the screen for breaking news, and that's what I was waiting for, but it never came.

·
Icon
942 Posts
EMoMoney said:
They always switch when they show a news crawler across the screen for breaking news, and that's what I was waiting for, but it never came.
Huh. I haven't noticed that. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a news crawler come across the bottom of the screen during an HD broadcast, but that may be because I just haven't been watching at the time of one. With the winter fast approaching, I'm sure that will change soon.

And, I can totally understand why they might have to do that. However, I'm still curious why the hell it would happen in the middle of a show for no reason at all.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OMG, what is going on with FOX45 tonight? Nice presentation of the Orange Bowl.

This only occurred on the MPEG4 channels. SD on the HR20 was fine and SD and OTA on the HR10-250 were fine as well. I sure hope the National Championship game isn't like this on Monday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.