DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...I have 2 lines running to my daughter's receiver and we just moved her TV. Of course one of my sat. lines is too short. I used a barrel connector to add a six foot coax to get the line to the receiver. Problem......it worked fine UNTIL I had a new multi-switch installed this last week. Now I get a "searching for sat. line 2" message and am unable to get the receiver to work with 2 inputs. It will work when I get it set up with just 1 line in. Any thoughts???

· Godfather
427 Posts
tknopf said:
Quick question...I have 2 lines running to my daughter's receiver and we just moved her TV. Of course one of my sat. lines is too short. I used a barrel connector to add a six foot coax to get the line to the receiver. Problem......it worked fine UNTIL I had a new multi-switch installed this last week. Now I get a "searching for sat. line 2" message and am unable to get the receiver to work with 2 inputs. It will work when I get it set up with just 1 line in. Any thoughts???
Try moving the line on the multi switch to another port. Also try unplugging all the receivers to rest set the LNB on the dish.

Ed

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,454 Posts
Make sure that the barrel(s) you use are rated for 3GHz. Usually this is signified by either a red or blue dielectric material in the ends. Also, make absolutely certain that the cable that you added is made of RG6 with well-attached ends. Lesser cables may cause all manner of trouble when the setup is at or near its tolerance.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
I wouldn't even bother looking at the barrel connector...Id be having whoever installed your multiswitch check the F connector on the port going to the line that doesn't work.

· Hall Of Fame
1,299 Posts
With my set up I had problems with a RG5 line that was in the mix. Once I switched that to an RG6 .... no problems at all. As for barrel connectors... No problems with any that I have used, and I have a few in my set up.

4 Posts
webby_s said:
With my set up I had problems with a RG5 line that was in the mix. Once I switched that to an RG6 .... no problems at all. As for barrel connectors... No problems with any that I have used, and I have a few in my set up.
Hook the DVR back up the way it was, with out the jumpers. If it works - its the jumpers if it still doesnt work demand the old multiswitch be put back, check again. Trouble shoot your problem.

Barrels are not the deval trust me I use them all day long. People are told how bad they are but I actually use them for much more complicated systems like MFH2 and they work just fine. If they didn't serve there perpose people would stop buying them and the MFG comps would stop producing them.

Not to mention groundblock, multiswitches, hell even the barrel on the backs of TV's work fine. Why would these ones not?

FConnectors are never the problem, if you cant prep out the cable you most likely jacked everyhting else up so much thats the least of your concern.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
Yep, having a run of coax with a characteristic impedance of 52 ohms will cause trouble. I'd use only RG-6 with quad shield for satellite applications.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.