DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the Hall of Fame rule for NFL, five years? Or is that just MLB? His spot is waiting.
Anyway, hated to see his talent lost to the NFL. Would have been nice to see a trade to a semi-contender to see what he could do w/ a good team. If I remember right, he only got to the playoffs once, with an early exit.

He sure did put up some yds v. the Bucs. Seems like every highlight of Sanders has Buc defenders chasing him.
I miss seeing this guy on Sundays. :(

·
Legend
112 Posts
From the Pro Football HOF web site: "The only restriction is that a player must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered. For example, a candidate for the 2002 class must have concluded his career not later than the 1996 season".

Sanders sure was a great one. His career, sort of, paralled that of Gayle Sayers who was a fantastic running back on a bunch of mediocre Chicago Bear teams. Sayers career was cut short by a couple of severe knee injuries, whereas Sanders left the game while still healthy. He was such a pleasure to watch that I wish he would have played longer.

·
Fromer Member
1,113 Posts
I'm glad he didn't break the rushing yards record. There were many reasons why I didn't like this guy but have seemed to forgotten the reasons over the years. I think it was his attitude and work ethic I didn't like but it's been a few years. Didn't he hold out a lot in training camp?

If memory serves me correctly he didn't have much of a line and usually led the leageu for the most carries for losses to. In the playoffs he couldn't run and was often stopped for less than 50 yards and many under 10 yards for the game. The org. kept the old coach they had for too long whose name I can't think of at the moment. His job was often saved by Detriot going on a hot winning streak at the end of the year to barely make the playoffs which kept his reign longer than it should have been.

Should he be in the HOF? I don't know and I'm biased against him so I will not comment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.