DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else out there hate the unbalanced schedule as much as I do? With the old schedule, you could meaningfully compare teams at least at the end of the year, because they all played pretty much the same schedule. With the old schedule, the Indians would play the Yankees and the Red Sox and everyone else 12 or 13 times. Now we play all the teams within our division 19 times apiece. Geeeesh. Almost half the year's games stuck in the Central Division. It also makes it tough on pitchers when the other team sees you 5 or 6 times a year.

·
Icon
715 Posts
Seeing the same pitcher(s) could hurt, but I like the schedule. If your team is good (See Mariners) then you will kick some serious booty! If your team is bad (See Angels and Rangers) then it's better to fire the manager and play the young people. Maybe there's another Barry Bonds or a Jason Giambi in your minor league system? I like it. Makes for an interesting start of the year and especially September.

·
Icon/Supporter
873 Posts
Every time I look, it seems that the Yankees are either playing Boston, Toronto, or some other team from the AL East. I agree, there needs to be a better balance in the scheduling.

We need some more interleague games. Some teams never play certain teams once in the whole season. For example, I don't ever remember the Yankees playing teams such as the Brewers or the Padres during the regular season.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
Not to completely change the subject, but the NBA is as guilty as MLB in this regard. The Lakers are on every weekend on NBC. If you are a Jazz, Nuggets, Suns, or Spurs fan, you can forget about national coverage of your team (unless they are playing the Lakers).

It's all about ratings and money. The Yankees and Lakers draw viewers...

·
Godfather/Supporter
444 Posts
I'm liking the unbalanced schedule: shorter travel, more games in the home team time zone (unless you're the Texas Rangers), actually having meaningful games in September.

What I hate about this year's schedule is that the AL East is playing the NL West in interleague play. First they give us the benefits of more divisional games, then they take it away by adding more West Coast games.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
I like the unbalanced schedule. It requires a team to beat the teams it is battling for the division championship.

Both leagues had unbalanced schedules from 1969 to league expansions to 14 teams (AL 1977; NL 1992). A team would play the others in their division 18 times and the other division 12 times.

The unbalanced schedule promotes divisional rivalries that is what MLB is about IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.