DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to assist my parents in their new Directv installation. They are keeping basic cable, and that installers set them up to view Directv on Ch 3 and view basic cable when the D11 is powered off.

They just bought a bunch of new TV's and this seems a real shame to me, since viewing satellite channels on Ch 3 is a low quality way to view them.

I'm trying to figure out how to have the D11 detect basic cable on the OTA input so they can see the cable channels on the guide with the satellite channels, then have all video go S-Video to the TV. Anyone know if this can be done, and if so, how? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
The rf input on the DirecTV receivers is for pass-through only. The receivers do not have tuners to actually receive the cable (or ota) signal.

The best way to hook everything up would be to run the cable connection directly to the TV, bypassing the DirecTV receiver, and connect the DirecTV receiver to the composite or s-video input on the tv. That way they could tune the basic cable channels directly whether the DirecTV reciever was on or off, and they would simply select the appropriate input on the tv to watch DirecTV.

Carl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.