DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, beautiful forum here, glad to be a part of it.

I have a few questions, and I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure them out. I just got a new HDTV and I currently have just regular comcast cable. I need to go digital or direct tv for HDTV so I think I'm going to go with direct tv for sunday ticket (next year) and I'm thinking it will be cheaper?

Questions now lol

1. What kind of deal can I get from Direct tv? I need 2 HD receivers, and 1 standard. On one of those HD receivers, I'd like to have DVR. Do I have to buy each one of these receivers? I don't want to commit for 2 years. Do I have to pay a lease fee and how much do those typically run?

2. How is directs customer service and how soon can they come out here to come hook my set up? I take delivery on the tv Saturday and would love to have it for this weekend.

3. Do I need a HDTV antenna to get locals? I'm in Oregon.

4. Kind of like question one, is it more wise to buy the receivers from a retail store or cheaper through direct?

5. What kind of deal do you think Comcast will try to give me so I stay with them? (i know you can't give me an exact deal and they might say goodbye but if you have any experience with this I'd love to hear it)

Thank you all in advance :D

·
Godfather
336 Posts
I would just call DirecTv and ask.

·
Godfather
425 Posts
1. All new customer equipment is leased. The first receiver is included in the monthly programming fee. Each additional receiver is $5, which they refer to as a lease fee (mirroring fee on older owned units). If you get an advanced (DVR) receiver, it is a 2 year commitment. Basic receivers are 1 year commitment. There is also a monthly DVR fee of about $6, unless you get their premier package, in which case that fee is waived. I would give them a call on what they can do for you on the up front costs.

2. Their Customer service is hit or miss. Some of their agents are really good, and some are idiots. I don't know what their current response time is on new installs.

3. Go to their website. They have a link for locals that will prompt you for your zip code and let you know what you'll get.

4. I've bought all of my equipment through retailers, but I would see what the retailers could do, and then call D* and see what they could do.

5. No Idea.

Good luck and welcome.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TMullenJr said:
1. All new customer equipment is leased. The first receiver is included in the monthly programming fee. Each additional receiver is $5, which they refer to as a lease fee (mirroring fee on older owned units). If you get an advanced (DVR) receiver, it is a 2 year commitment. Basic receivers are 1 year commitment. There is also a monthly DVR fee of about $6, unless you get their premier package, in which case that fee is waived. I would give them a call on what they can do for you on the up front costs.

2. Their Customer service is hit or miss. Some of their agents are really good, and some are idiots. I don't know what their current response time is on new installs.

3. Go to their website. They have a link for locals that will prompt you for your zip code and let you know what you'll get.

4. I've bought all of my equipment through retailers, but I would see what the retailers could do, and then call D* and see what they could do.

5. No Idea.

Good luck and welcome.
Thanks a lot, I'll give them a call :)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,579 Posts
For the time table you have set call your cable company and have them set you up by this weekend The HR20-700 HD DVR is in short supply and has a waiting list. You can setup Directv in the future if you still want them the current promotions are good till Feb. 2007.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.