DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Godfather
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are they not replaying the NEW episodes of Battlestar Galactica on Sunday nights? Is there a SciFi HDchannel available or in the works? It's just sad that the best show on TV is shown in SD.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Historically, UniversalHD has not started a new season of Galactica in HD until after that season completely aired in SD on SciFi.

I would love to watch them as first-run HD too... but I gather they get a greater audience via SciFi, and don't want to compete with themselves at the same time... so I watch them on SciFi as first-runs and then I can watch them next year in repeat on UniversalHD.

·
Mentor
42 Posts
HDMe said:
Historically, UniversalHD has not started a new season of Galactica in HD until after that season completely aired in SD on SciFi.

I would love to watch them as first-run HD too... but I gather they get a greater audience via SciFi, and don't want to compete with themselves at the same time... so I watch them on SciFi as first-runs and then I can watch them next year in repeat on UniversalHD.
Well, second BSG season was just great, the best sci-fi show ever aired (IMHO, of course) and I would enjoy watching it again in HD (may be instead of the disappointing third season). But, but. but... The picture quality is definitely an issue, nothing even close to "2001: A Space Odyssey".

Something is terribly wrong, either they intentionally downgraded resolution or used special filters to mask commander Adama's wrinkles...

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
Battlestar Galactica is an interesting experiement in HD... The show is filmed/shot with the idea in mind that we (the viewer) are looking through the eyes of a camera more like a handheld camera that might be used to film a documentary of a war.

Rather than going for pristine sharp clarity like a movie of a war... they are attempting to show what this would look like if it were real and we were watching the war reporters camera shots of what happens.

This essentially means that while the show is shot in HD... the picture quality is often intentionally downgraded so as to give it more of a realistic feel.

I forget where I read this... I didn't make it up, honest :)

·
Godfather
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can believe it. And if it is done for artistic reasons I'm fine with it. I'm just a little bummed that the SD PQ isn't all that great, especially after I zoom in to eliminate the letterbox bars. Oh well, I suppose that if I never had watched the re-runs in HD I wouldn't know what I was missing. As far as the 3rd season goes, I'm glad they finally closed up the New Caprica story arc. Let's get back to the rag tag fleet searching for Earth.

·
Mentor
42 Posts
wakajawaka said:
I can believe it. And if it is done for artistic reasons I'm fine with it. I'm just a little bummed that the SD PQ isn't all that great, especially after I zoom in to eliminate the letterbox bars. Oh well, I suppose that if I never had watched the re-runs in HD I wouldn't know what I was missing. As far as the 3rd season goes, I'm glad they finally closed up the New Caprica story arc. Let's get back to the rag tag fleet searching for Earth.
So say we all!

·
AllStar
70 Posts
wakajawaka said:
Yes, I also agree... wouldnt be so bad watching in SD if it was true SD. I can really watch SD when it is OTA... not a bad picture. But SD over Dish? Ugggg.

RH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts