DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Godfather
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first Broadband Converter failure today. It was connected to one of my HR20-700s. I was getting a searching for satellite signal. I replaced with a spare and all works as it should. I put the old one back inplace and, again, got a searching for satellite signal.

What causes these to fail? It was warm to the touch. Is it a heat related issue?

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
narrod said:
I had my first Broadband Converter failure today. It was connected to one of my HR20-700s. I was getting a searching for satellite signal. I replaced with a spare and all works as it should. I put the old one back inplace and, again, got a searching for satellite signal.

What causes these to fail? It was warm to the touch. Is it a heat related issue?
The failure rate on them is actually very low...but like any other electronics (or dates) ...you get a bad one once in a while.... :D

·
Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
narrod said:
.....What causes these to fail? It was warm to the touch. Is it a heat related issue?
They run warm to the touch normally. They are LNB intermediate frequency output converters, and their source of power is the receiver's DC signal control voltage, the same as is used by the LNB/multi-switch at the dish. As such, they use electricity and thereby generate heat.

I've has one go bad as well. I would doubt if that amount of heat is a problem, but certainly there are internal parts which can fail for other reasons. The most common failure mode of the series 2 BBC's was not internal electrical failure, however. It was the physical failure of the pigtail attachment point inside the "box." Some of them would actually spin round and round on the pigtail. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.