DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Chancellor
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Summer (in anticpation of new channels from D10), I had a SlimLine dish installed (along with the HR20)... but lately I've had an issue that wasn't a problem last year.

STORMS!!​

As some of you may know, the Southeast has been hard hit by drought these last few years and my area has been no different... but this Summer, we've actually gotten some fairly decent rainfall (not as much as we used to, but still). Unfortunately, during the Summer months, rainfall often means storms, and storms can sometime mean power outages.

Last month, the power went out during a storm. When I later turned on my HR20, it was having issues due to what I later found out was a NOW faulty BBC. I contacted DirecTV about sending me a new BBC, and when talking to the guy mentioned that it might be a good idea to keep a spare. He agreed and sent me two. As soon as I received them, I hooked up a new BBC and everything was working right again. A week later, we had more storms and the power was knocked out again. When the power came back on, the new BBC wasn't working. I hooked up the other new BBC and now everything is working again (note that it's Tuner 2 every time).

What do I need to do to stop this?

~Alan

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
May I ask, do you have good surge protection on your HR20? Perhaps even a UPS?

I would also see if you can get a knowledgeable person to see if your dish is properly grounded.

· Chancellor
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DogLover said:
Simplest was is to probably use a UPS. An inexpensive one should work just fine. It has saved me in the past few storms.
I forgot to mention one thing. Both storms knocked out power for 5+ hours. A UPS wouldn't work... a generator maybe, but I'm looking for something a little cheaper! ;)

~Alan

· Registered
12,607 Posts
Alan Gordon said:
I forgot to mention one thing. Both storms knocked out power for 5+ hours. A UPS wouldn't work... a generator maybe, but I'm looking for something a little cheaper! ;)

~Alan
A UPS still provides better AC Power protection than a surge protector, even if its batteries run dead.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
Are your cables from the dish passing through a grounding block (that's properly grounded)?

· Chancellor
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
saryon said:
A UPS would condition the power through it to the equipment, regardless of battery life.
litzdog911 said:
A UPS still provides better AC Power protection than a surge protector, even if its batteries run dead.
But if the problem is connected to the coax cables (I'm assuming), what difference would the power have to do with it?

Kansas Zephyr said:
Are your cables from the dish passing through a grounding block (that's properly grounded)?
Sadly, no! My old Phase III dish (which I installed myself) was, but the SlimLine (which was "professionally" installed) is not.

However, I have one other DVR hooked up to the 4x8 multi-switch hooked up to the SlimLine (I haven't moved the other receivers from the Phase III) and I've had no problem with it. What are the chances that lightning hit the dish twice in less than a month's time and it only interfered with ONE line both times?

~Alan

· Icon
568 Posts
It would depend on where the surge that's frying your BBC is coming from. If it's a passthrough from the receiver's coax because it's getting a surge and passsing it along the UPS would help. If it's coming through the dish side of things it wouldn't.

· Hall Of Fame
2,510 Posts
Alan Gordon said:

~Alan
If you put the DVR and the TV on a UPS, it would give you a chance to power down the DVR nicely. (Perform a reset from the menu, then pull the plug when it powers down.) It only works if you are home, but it might help. Power is normally extremely "dirty" when coming back up from an outage.

Of course it is also likely that gounding the dish might solve the issue as well, if that is how they are going bad.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
Alan Gordon said:
But if the problem is connected to the coax cables (I'm assuming), what difference would the power have to do with it?

Sadly, no! My old Phase III dish (which I installed myself) was, but the SlimLine (which was "professionally" installed) is not.

However, I have one other DVR hooked up to the 4x8 multi-switch hooked up to the SlimLine (I haven't moved the other receivers from the Phase III) and I've had no problem with it. What are the chances that lightning hit the dish twice in less than a month's time and it only interfered with ONE line both times?

~Alan
If lightning actually hit your dish you would know it, more than likely your receiver and TV and anything else connected would be blown. A near by strike can create an induced voltage in your coaxial cable this feeding back down the cable could damage your BBC. The BBC may have been sacrificed rather than damage going into the receiver. STRONGLY suggest getting that 5 LNB grounded. And if I read your description correctly get that 4x8 multiswitch off the 5 LNB you need a WB68 for HDTV.:)

· Chancellor
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
saryon said:
It would depend on where the surge that's frying your BBC is coming from. If it's a passthrough from the receiver's coax because it's getting a surge and passsing it along the UPS would help. If it's coming through the dish side of things it wouldn't.
hdtvfan0001 said:
That's the best answer anyone can give you.

Power surges happen all the time...not to mention outages...
UPS wouldn't help me in outages very much (but that's a different issue altogether!), but I am concerned with what's going on now... and I'm just not sure I can really afford to get a UPS right now.... at least not this week anyway.

DogLover said:
Of course it is also likely that gounding the dish might solve the issue as well, if that is how they are going bad.
I'll see if I can't get out there and least half-way ground it this weekend.

~Alan

· Chancellor
8,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
boba said:
STRONGLY suggest getting that 5 LNB grounded.
I'm planning on it.... I simply forgot it wasn't since I didn't have to worry about it last year (or earlier this year).

boba said:
And if I read your description correctly get that 4x8 multiswitch off the 5 LNB you need a WB68 for HDTV.:)
That was my fault, I do have a WB68... I just couldn't remember the name and forgot that it had inputs for 72.5 and 95 on it as well!

~Alan

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,481 Posts
Alan Gordon said:
A UPS will prevent browns and will allow you to do a controlled shutdown. Low voltage (brownouts) is what often kills as the device doesn't have enough energy to keep its gloves up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.