DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
949 Posts
If you have android tablet or Smart TV? You can down load the Pluto TV App. They have Sky News on Channel 113. Various international news services or AP News on 101 (When I looked it was running the Chinese English Language News channel what was once called CCTV 9). Breaking news on 100 (Mostly MSNBC/NBC though). I guess Sky News would be your best bet, as it is from the UK.

They also have a 24 hours MSTK3000 channel on channel 545.

http://pluto.tv/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
If you have an Roku, you can add the iFilm app that will give you access to many International News channels, including BBC News. With a Roku the news channels are endless, NHK Japan, Russia Today, INews (Israel, Euro News, as well as the competitor to BBC, Sky News available in HD. I watch it a lot. One thing I really like about the Roku, channels are being added daily both public & private. For the $50 I spent on the small box several years ago, it has really paid off. People that have high speed internet that like watching International news, should check into the Roku.Roku 1 has both A/V inputs as well as HDMI and the other models HDMI only.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
46 Posts
mitchflorida said:
You can now watch BBC World News on Dishanywhere.com, but it is not on the satellite yet. I am guessing they will add BBC World news to the satellite on May 1st, to replace Al Jazeera.
Wouldn't that be great! When I try to play BBCWN on Dishanywhere, as you suggest, I get the message that I need to upgrade my subscription. I cannot find it in any of the regular packages on Dish.com or in the International channel packages. Any thoughts on this?
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
46 Posts
mwdxer said:
If you have an Roku, you can add the iFilm app that will give you access to many International News channels, including BBC News. With a Roku the news channels are endless, NHK Japan, Russia Today, INews (Israel, Euro News, as well as the competitor to BBC, Sky News available in HD. I watch it a lot. One thing I really like about the Roku, channels are being added daily both public & private. For the $50 I spent on the small box several years ago, it has really paid off. People that have high speed internet that like watching International news, should check into the Roku.Roku 1 has both A/V inputs as well as HDMI and the other models HDMI only.
I have searched the apps on roku.com for iFilm with no hits. Is this a private channel and, if it is a free one, do you have the passcode to download it?
Edit:
A google search shows this to be a Roku UK channel which means that it is not available in the US (without some skulduggery ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
Yes, most are private channels. There are over 300 on the list. The channel with BBC News in FilmOn and it is under UK. There is also SJTV and Africa TV, lots of Worldwide news. Google Stream Free TV. There is a huge list.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
56 Posts
l'Aucherie said:
When I try to play BBCWN on Dishanywhere, as you suggest, I get the message that I need to upgrade my subscription. I cannot find
it in any of the regular packages on Dish.com or in the International channel packages. Any thoughts on this?
The e-mail I got from Dish, in the fine print said you must have AT200 or higher to get BBC World on Dish Anywhere.

In my ideal world, Al Jazeera America on ch 216 would switch to Al Jazeera English, the international feed, and BBC World would be added to another channel.
The addition of BBC World to Dish Anywhere is a good step, but those of us where fast internet is limited, a Dish Network channel is really the only thing that works.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
Just a few more day until the shut down of Al Jazeera America.
Lots of rumors out there of what Dish will do to the channel.
My guess is they will do nothing for a few weeks then add a new News channel in May. Hopefully one they like already.
They seeom to already like BBC News as they stream it if you have the top 200
Dish and DIRT I hope you read these. Poeple want more NEWS options not less so we can decide what to watch.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,487 Posts
There are a lot of options ... but I would not count on BBC World News.

The Blaze is still SD and could be upgraded.
Or the space could just go away.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,142 Posts
Here is an idea. Since the last press release Dish said they were hiring 100 more to make Apps, that they make a BBC news or SkyNews app like you get on the Roku.
In other words make the Hopper 3 have similar apps as the Roku, then we would not have to switch inputs all the time. It could be like a channel on the guide or an app in the app menu.
Dish / DIRT hope you read these for ideas. This makes way too much sense.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,658 Posts
It would be nice if we got something... in HD... really good if we got a new news channel... but if they at least gave an HD feed of something they currently only carry in SD that would be a help. Not that they "owe" it or anything, but it seems a shame to just lose something like this and not get something good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
I asked for BBC World for years. I bought a Roku back 2 1/2 years ago and it was available. Later Sky News was added, NHK World (Japan), and others. It would be nicer to see them on Dish, but at least they are available for free on the Roku. Israel and Ireland News are also on the Roku.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
583 Posts
l'Aucherie said:
I have searched the apps on roku.com for iFilm with no hits. Is this a private channel and, if it is a free one, do you have the passcode to download it?
Edit:
A google search shows this to be a Roku UK channel which means that it is not available in the US (without some skulduggery ;-)
I would say that he meant filmon
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,391 Posts
It did, but as of now it's still only available with the flex news package and not in the regular AT packages, and you have to give up a bunch of other channels that aren't available at all with a Flex package, including BBC America, to get it.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top