DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
No idea. I'm piggy backing on your thread title (hope you don't mind) to ask, does anyone know why the muffed punt fumble recovery couldn't be advanced for the touchdown? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
mtnagel said:
No idea. I'm piggy backing on your thread title (hope you don't mind) to ask, does anyone know why the muffed punt fumble recovery couldn't be advanced for the touchdown? I don't think I've ever seen that before.
Long standing rule, muffed punts are not advancable, they are dead at the spot.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
hasan said:
Long standing rule, muffed punts are not advancable, they are dead at the spot.
So if the Raven player would have caught it, then fumbled it, that is "advancable" by the other team? But since he didn't catch it, that's a muffed punt? So do the rules for catching a ball apply to make the distinction between a caught/muffed punt? What if the ball just touches a player on the receiving team and then the kicking team gets it, is that also a muffed punt?

Sorry to be off topic, but it's been bugging me all morning.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
mtnagel said:
So if the Raven player would have caught it, then fumbled it, that is "advancable" by the other team? But since he didn't catch it, that's a muffed punt? So do the rules for catching a ball apply to make the distinction between a caught/muffed punt? What if the ball just touches a player on the receiving team and then the kicking team gets it, is that also a muffed punt?

Sorry to be off topic, but it's been bugging me all morning.
You have to have "possession" or the punt is muffed. Simply having it touch you makes it a muff. If you "catch"/"possess" the punt and then fumble, it is advanceable. What constitutes possession....when you have possession of the ball AND make a "football move" (like taking a couple steps, or dodging a tackle (while not juggling the ball). It's just like a completed pass in that regard...same rule for possession. Until possession obtains on a punt, it is a muff. Once possession obtains, it is a fumble and can be advanced.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
hasan said:
You have to have "possession" or the punt is muffed. Simply having it touch you makes it a muff. If you "catch"/"possess" the punt and then fumble, it is advanceable. What constitutes possession....when you have possession of the ball AND make a "football move" (like taking a couple steps, or dodging a tackle (while not juggling the ball). It's just like a completed pass in that regard...same rule for possession. Until possession obtains on a punt, it is a muff. Once possession obtains, it is a fumble and can be advanced.
Ah. T hanks.

Now back to your previously scheduled thread :D

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dugfio said:
D*TV was in DD 5.1 for me and I loved it, since the Bengals won!
Really. Mine was Dolby PLII from my HR20-700S whatever that is. And I am also glad the Bengals won. they are a classier group of people than the Ravens.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I was on a business trip in Colorado Springs last night. I wanted to see the game but the hotel cable did not get NFL Network. About 10 minutes into the game a light bulb came on in my head (duh).

I had my laptop and slingplayer software on it. I fired it up and watched the game from my HR20 at home!!

Great game!

The Christmas eve game between the Bengals and Broncos will be interesting!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.