DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Icon
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a VIP-922 installed yesterday. Love the sleekness of the UI.

As a confirmed tech-holic I jumped right in checking out every function. I quickly found that some things didn't work. Slingbox, View Bill, Help, weather....did not work.

Before I got the 922 I read the forums looking to find posts on problems people had with the 922. (I always assume a new piece of hardware will not work properly. When it does I am pleasantly surprised. When it doesn't I am prepared)

More than a few people said "let the 922 sit a day. Let it "settle in". What's this settle in junk. It's hardware. It's software. Either it works or it doesn't, says the arrogant tech-holic.

Over night the DVR faeries visited my home and in the morning the 922 was transformed to a fully functioning DVR/Slingbox. EVERYTHING works as advertised, including dishonline on my laptop and iPad.

Perhaps a label should be put on new 922's... Full functionality may require 24 hours. Be patient!

Once again, I got good advice from the forum.

·
Icon
908 Posts
Mine works pretty good......an occasional reset...Sling is still a work in progress yet it's much better then it was in the beginning. Since you're a "tech-holic" you should enjoy...

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
brucegrr said:
More than a few people said "let the 922 sit a day. Let it "settle in". What's this settle in junk. It's hardware. It's software. Either it works or it doesn't, says the arrogant tech-holic.
It's kind of like finding a NIB laptop from 2005, running WinXP SP1 and some 2005-era anti-virus program. Would you jump right into surfing the web with that, or would you take the time to do the Windows Updates and update/replace the Anti-virus software and definitions? If the former, you'd be asking for big trouble...

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
PhantomOG said:
any other tips? I have an installer coming by to replace my 622 with a 922.

Anything I need to do with my external hard drive to insure it will work with the 922 and still preserve all my recordings?
Nope mine from my 722 worked fine.

·
Legend
186 Posts
RasputinAXP said:
Nope mine from my 722 worked fine.
Thanks, now I won't have to do the rain dance in front of the installer tomorrow. :lol:

In my chat where I requested the upgrade from 622 to 922, I specifically asked for the OTA module 5 times (I counted in the log) and made him repeat back to me that I wanted the OTA module. What are my chances the installer shows up tomorrow withOUT an OTA module? I'm almost betting on it. :nono:

·
Legend
186 Posts
Of course, he did not have the OTA module. I called to complain and they wanted to charge me $50 to make up for their mistake. I said that was unacceptable so they said as a "one time courtesy" to me they would be sending it free of charge. How magnanimous of Dish.... :rolleyes:

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
brucegrr said:
You know whenever I deploy a new Mac or PC that come pre-loaded from the factory, I ALWAYS have to run software updates to ensure the OS's are up to date. I think the 922s are no different as the image they use is probably several updates old.

That said, enjoy your 922. It's a slick receiver.

·
Legend
387 Posts
Post like this make me lean at the 922...my bigist concern is the sling part, as I will use it 99.9 % of the time.....I understand new products and what makes this different as they can upgrade and /or fix problems as they arise...or better yet, add options it didnt start with!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.